Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Booth Memorial Hospital « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 265
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have/know of any pictures of the old Booth Memorial Hospital that used to be on East Grand Blvd. near the bridge? I've searched Virtual Motor City and made a visit to the photo library in (can't recall the name now)the Palms Building.

Ruthie1
Username: Ruthie1

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I sure would like to find some. I was born there. When I mention it to anyone, they give me a blank stare, and say they never heard of it. Was it only there for a short time? My parents are both deceased, so I can't check.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 267
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruthie,
Booth was there until the late 70"s? It was a hospital run by the Salvation Army originally for families in need of assistance. I was born there as well in 1952. I've tried contacting the SA but no luck yet. Booth later became a hospital for un-wed mothers. I recall the old natural gas huge tanks that were behind Booth as I saw them in the 60's while still living in SW Detroit. Too bad I didn't appreciate family history then.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Booth was torn down in the early 2000's? I lived at 129 W. Grand, across the street, during the early 1990's and it was there, but as a home for unwed mothers. The Salvation Army was still running it then.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Booth was torn down in the early 2000's? I lived at 129 W. Grand, across the street, during the early/mid 1990's and it was there, but as a home for unwed mothers. The Salvation Army was still running it then.

Alley_cat
Username: Alley_cat

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, this is my first ever post after lurking for awhile (4-5 years?). My mornings usually begin with coffee, the freep online, the NY Times online and a peak at Detroit Yes. On busy days, when time is short, I go directly to the forum to catch the most relevant news!

I was born at Booth Memorial in 1950. Like Ruthie, both my parents are deceased and I am an only child, so the family history has been lost. The address was 130 W. Grand Blvd. Satellite pictures can be found on Google Maps and Maps.live. The maps.live picture shows a building, where the Google picture shows an empty lot.

Google: http://www.google.com/maps?f=q &source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1 30+W.+Grand+Blvd,+Detroit,+MI& sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=29 .578161,56.25&ie=UTF8&ll=42.31 5702,-83.082561&spn=0.006347,0 .013733&t=h&z=16

Maps.live:
http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r1k68d8 28tbv&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&d ir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5652128&p hx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Billy, is this Booth Memorial Hospital?

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born in 52, only child, both parents deceased. Booth is definitely gone which is why I'm interested in finding pictures.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Maps picture is Booth while the Google shows the same spot after demo. I spent mu first 17 years in SW Detroit and recall going by Booth and being told that's where I was born. Being young and dumb I really didn't care. Now 40 years later...

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7826
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally hit me, another vacant lot in Moroun-ville.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 952
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try searching the archives. i know we talked about this fairly in depth a while ago. i remember because a friend of mine did the environmental assessment on it for demo. i think it was torn down about 5 years ago. the thread should be within the last year or two...

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found the archived thread Rsa. Did your friend ever find any photos taken during the environmental assessment? I do recall WGB being VERY nice in it's day. booth had a row of beautiful trees along the front of it on the Blvd. I'll call the SA Region Office and report back what i find out.

2. DISCUSS DETROIT!: Booth Memorial Hospital
Posts on this Page: 10
Last Activity: 02-Mar-2009 10:54, Relative Score 66%

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh shit! I didn't know what you guys were talking about until I googled 129 west grand blvd.

Yeah, that place has been gone about 4-5 years. We drove by it several times in its abandonment, but we were too scared to go inside as we were still noobs. I remember the Pepsi machine sitting right out in the open because the lobby was wide open.

My friend took some pictures, I'll ask him if I can share them with you.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 953
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she didn't really say, but i don't think so. she did say she found a ton of equipment, like beakers, test tubes, etc. she said it was all very strange; like they had just left one day and never came back for anything...

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://nrph.net/survivalcracka s/nailhed/GangstaHosp/IMG_0354 .jpg

http://nrph.net/survivalcracka s/nailhed/GangstaHosp/IMG_0344 .jpg

http://nrph.net/survivalcracka s/nailhed/GangstaHosp/IMG_0353 .jpg

http://nrph.net/survivalcracka s/nailhed/GangstaHosp/IMG_0352 .jpg

http://nrph.net/survivalcracka s/nailhed/GangstaHosp/IMG_0350 .jpg

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Navi,

THANKS for the pixs!

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was part of the DY thread, probably a year ago or so, asking abt Booth Memorial. I was born at Booth back in the late 50's. Since that thread I had found information that my mother was unwed and from small town about an hour from Detroit. I did some asking around, including the Salvation Army and got nowhere. With a perfectly timed, carefully worded personal ad, placed by my birth family in the News classifieds, they found me! No one had any pictures of the place but they gave me the letters that my mother wrote back home to her Mom and Dad telling abt her lonely days in the care of the SA at Booth. I never got to meet her but I am glad to have these pictures to go along with her words. Thnx Navi!

Angela
Username: Angela

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the early 80s I was a resident there (one of those wayward young mothers to be ;) ) and the place kinda sorta helped save my life. I managed to get a few pictures of the building taken right before they demolished it completely and will post them after work tonight.

The staff there, both the SA "officers" and everyone from the teachers (DPS had a complete school there on the first floor for both the residents and teen moms city wide), social workers, "house mothers", kitchen staff, and medical staff who visited for on-site prenatal care were some of the best human beings I have run across in my lifetime.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angela,
Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing your photos! :-)

Detroitbob48209
Username: Detroitbob48209

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The land was originally purchased by the Vestry of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in the 1850's and St. Luke's Hospital was built sometime after that date. I am not sure how many years the parish operated the hospital. I'll do some research and post more info later. The church still exists, now as the Cathedral Church of St. Paul at Woodward/Warren/Hancock in midtown.

Angela
Username: Angela

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go, Rick. Only a couple and they really don't show much. The place had been pretty much gutted by scrappers between the time it closed and demolition. It had some lovely woodwork at one time, especially in the small chapel and library.

There was a day care center/montessori program on the second floor which was also the floor residents lived on and the third was taken up by Latino Family Services which moved across the street on Fort. The SA staff had a small apartment building on the grounds to the south.

Anyway, here are the links to the images. :-)

http://i42.photobucket.com/alb ums/e343/Angelariel65/birds037 .jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/alb ums/e343/Angelariel65/birds031 .jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/alb ums/e343/Angelariel65/birds034 .jpg

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angela, the first picture makes me remember what I recall as a very nice building with trees lining the street fully green in spring. Like I've said, for whatever reason while young I never cared about my history with Booth. but now it's important. Thanks to everyone who've contributed memories and pictures as it means a lot! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.