Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Bobby Ferguson ordered to post a $1M bond « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 534
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Egan / The Detroit News

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20090228/METRO 01/902280344/1409/METRO

A Wayne County judge on Friday ordered city contractor Bobby Ferguson, a close friend of former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, to post a $1 million bond while he appeals a jury verdict awarded to a man he pistol whipped in 2004.

But a lawyer for Ferguson, whose offices were raided by the FBI in January, said Ferguson can't post the bond. Friday's order, the attorney said, could result in the shutdown of his company, Ferguson Enterprises, Inc.

"Justice delayed is justice denied," said Wayne Circuit Judge Wendy M. Baxter, explaining why she would not delay collection proceedings unless Ferguson posted a bond equal to 125 percent of the judgment against him....

Ferguson's lawyer, Krystal Lyons, presented an affidavit from Ferguson Enterprises' insurance company saying the company's bonding capacity is zero.

"If (Thomas) is allowed to go in and just start taking things out of the business (to satisfy the judgment), it could effectively shut the business down," Lyons told Baxter.

"No one is going to end up getting anything, including the plaintiff, if he is not allowed to operate his business."

Thomas' lawyer, Mark Granzotto, said the affidavit Lyons presented only suggests Ferguson's company can't get performance bonds for construction projects and says nothing about appeal bonds.

There also is no evidence that Ferguson can't come up with the money personally, said Granzotto, who pointed to a 2008 article in The Detroit News that said Ferguson had received at least $170 million in city contracts since Kilpatrick took office in 2002.

Under state law, Thomas could begin forced collection on Ferguson's assets in 21 days, if the required appeal bond is not posted.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 504
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like the song says, "Aint that a shame."

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I foresee a move of Ferguson Enterprises to Texas soon.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder where Mr. Ferguson stashes his money...

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 919
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ferguson's lawyer, Krystal Lyons, presented an affidavit from Ferguson Enterprises' insurance company saying the company's bonding capacity is zero.

Multi-million $$ city contracts require all kinds of bonding. How does Ferguson Enterprises satisfy those requirements?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 813
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hookers and blow don't come cheap.

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this idiot once at a project interview for the demolition of a large facility on the river front. I and others specifically worked to keep him and another contractor off this particular project as they were not qualified. However, I have it on good authority that KK picked up the phone and called Faye Nelson and (presto!) he was on the bidders list.

He never signed agreements, got his own bidwalks, we had to reschedule his interview for the bid discussion because he did not show up at the scheduled time. It was like watching the "hip hop demo contractor" in action. Only if I had a small camera.... I would have had a lovely little piece for Steve Wilson. He and his crew came off like a total joke and in the end did not get the contract.

Another story: my firm had to work with this outfit a few years ago and there was a structure that had to come down and it contained asbestos. Friday came and the work stopped. We were suppose to start a fresh on Monday with the abatement of the asbestos before general demolition could start. We come back Monday and the structure in question is gone. Gone and they acted like it never existed. Further, getting manifests, etc. for this was not impossible. We tried to hold up payment on the work, but pressure came from other directions and he got paid.

He's a total gansta hood. Never has paid the settlement on the pistol whipping episode with the former employee (it got "adjusted" to assault with an object and not a deadly weapon).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.