Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Detroit Land Bank? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came across this Freep article:

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0080820/NEWS05/808200389/0/NEW S01/Kilpatrick+s+team+points+t o+triumphs

It mentions that kilpatrick [while still mayor] and the council approved a city land bank, in addition to wayne county's land bank, a few months back. I can't seem to find anything more on the topic. Anyone know what's going on?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4196
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, the city is still working on making the rules and policies for the land bank. Needless to say that all of the attention focus on ousting Kilpatrick and the transition to a new mayor seems to have but this project on the backburner.

I really hope the media brings this up as the issue it should be during this general election season.

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree Lmichigan. This idea has a lot of potential for Detroit, but it seems to have been forgotten.

I wish I knew more about it. I was thinking of writing a letter to the freep, but I don't know anything about where this thing stands.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as there are useless people like JoAnn Watson and her racist buddies in Detroit, expect slow progress and plenty of meddling.

quote:

Detroit City Councilwoman JoAnn Watson said she supports the formation of an authority as long as it is confined to Detroit and its governing body is revamped to include more city council representation.

“Land is the basis of all power. If the city totally relinquishes ownership authority, it gives away that power,” Watson said. “The neighborhoods ought to be able to rely on the city’s wealth.

quote:

"The land bank authority sounds more like land-grabbing than land-banking," Kim Meeks of the Call'em-Out Coalition

quote:

The Council of Elders and Council Member JoAnn Watson believe that the “City is under siege.” Looming takeovers include: a land bank scheme to strip the City Council and city residents of control and power over Detroit land

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4204
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanfisherman, on this issue, your focus is off. A majority of the city council voted for creating a land bank meaning that Watson was in the minority. Even more to the point, Brenda Jones and Watson were the only two that voted against the proposal. Again, what is holding this up is all of the other things that have been put on council's plate since this was passed last summeer. You're talking about a sideshow; fact is, the majority of council is very much on board with the land bank. Perhaps, someone should make it down to one of their meetings and ask about where this stands to job there memories and perhaps change their priorities.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.