Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Newsreel from 1917 Detroit News « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this on the Internet Archive and wasn't sure if anyone else here at seen this. It's was pretty cool just to see. Well, yeah because there's no sound. Love the streetcars.

http://www.archive.org/details /DetroitN1917

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3373
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ray, did you ever pull a car over like that?? :-) That looked a little dangerous.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't get this to play?? What is the trick to get it working?

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 282
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting footage...anybody have a clue as to what street that police chase took place on?

Jimb
Username: Jimb

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1917 - the year my dad was born (albeit in New York city). Ah yes, brings back memories of those neighborhood polo matches we all grew up playing and watching (ha ha). Evel Knievel, eat your heart out, though it looks like the track was a bit muddy that day. The precursor to the X games? As Gary said, Interesting footage - thanks for posting.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3950
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey Ray, did you ever pull a car over like that??"

Naw, I always felt running boards were dangerous. Too narrow. I used to jump into the rumble seat. :-) :-) :-)

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 670
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I think this was the same prison Belle Starr was sent to, opened near the Eastern Market. It was south of the cemetery, running along Russell Street, North of Alfred.

Old Detroit House Of Correcton 1861-1922

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3384
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That officer must have went through like a motorcycle a week. Jump off and let er' go. They need that guy out in Cali. with all the police chases.

Jackie5275
Username: Jackie5275

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite interesting. It's amazing to see how rural so much of the metro area still was.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.