Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Detroit Lion Reportedly Missing In Gulf of Mexico « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 302
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story /Lions-Player-Possibly-Missing -in-Gulf/GJEJFkun8k2Exc3CISk5T g.cspx

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awful. LIONS CANT SWIM!

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 509
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah and probably one of their better players too.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 268
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gone fishin' with Bison Dele?

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 717
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Coast Guard was reporting 10ft plus waves, 45 mile per hour winds and 60 degree waters in that section of the Gulf. A boat that size would be in trouble in seas that rough. Hopefully these guys decided against heading out and are simply sleeping off a hangover somewhere on shore.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 939
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not? They're missing from Detroit also.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thing is most boaters now only use their cell phones. Having a UHF Radio with locater beacon would have save lives in case. People spend 50k plus for boats (like this one) and miss the most simple of things like a UHF Radio. Once activated this sends out a digital distress signal where the C.G. can turn on their antenna and find them real easy. Also a float plan is a wise choice when boating, this gives relatives and friends an idea of where one plans to go fishing or recreational boating area they plan on visiting.

The C.G. will search endless miles of ocean when all these ideas (above) could have made it an easy rescue and return. With the time elapsed and the weather and other ocean conditions a rescue is unlikely at this point.

Maybe the loss of these individuals will inspire other boaters to use the proper techniques of good boatmanship in this upcoming boating season.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3374
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, anyone who heads out in big water, great lakes etc. Should have at least an EPIRB on board. They are cheap and save lives.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2601
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Lion ain't missing, he's AWOL!

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enough jokes already, were talking 4 people who may have drowned.
I recall while in college remembering 3 men who I attended chuch with went fishing on a Sat and the wind caused heaving waves and the boat capsized and both father and son were taken under by the currents, the preacher survived to tell the story the next day at church. Very Sad day I will never forget and I remember seeing the son at taco Bell that friday night as well. Real sad!

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are harsh. Let's not let the success or lack of success in what they do for a living make us forget that they are human beings with families and friends, just like everybody else.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They may have found the boat and it's not looking good for these guys. The water is only about 60*.

http://www.baynews9.com/Home.h tml

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5969
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They found one survivor clinging to the capsized boat, but they haven't released his name. Although the family of Nick Schuyler is claiming that he is the survivor

Click on Detroit

Lferg

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Schuyler, they are still looking for the other 3.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..Those Ex-Lions have probably signed on to the Dolphins by now.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5973
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sick, Sludgedaddy. Sick but hilarious

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2603
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going 50 miles out in the Gulf in a 21 ft boat is simply idiotic! I've fished the Gulf inner coastal many times in an 18 footer, venturing maybe 5 miles into the gulf. Even then we got caught in approaching storms before making it back in. 50 miles out is a death wish.

Most say you don't venture out on the Great Lakes with anything less than a 23 ft boat. I expect this incident will be a finalist in the 2009 Darwin awards.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3590
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three wise men of Gotham,
Went to sea in a bowl ...

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 951
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, you guys are right. When I posted, I hadn't read the entire link, so I was thinking this was another Lions joke. Not being a Lion's fan, I didn't know what was happening. Later in the evening, or maybe this AM, I heard the news. I'm sorry about the smartass remarks. These are real people and this is a tragic situation.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"..Those Ex-Lions have probably signed on to the Dolphins by now."

That's an utterly BS remark. If you or someone you loved were in the same situtaion would you make the same kind responce like that? Doubt it. Have some respect for the victims and the family!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4112
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Going 50 miles out in the Gulf in a 21 ft boat is simply idiotic!

I totally agree.

And I think they're chances for survival at this time, are slim to none.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Lferg

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Coast Guard is suspending the search efforts at 6:30pm.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.