Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Renovation creates jobs, value in Detroit. Why don't our leaders grasp this? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting story in today's Free Press about how Blight Busters is working with outside investors to renovate foreclosed homes in the city. It amazes me that even though such initiatives create jobs, preserve tax base, keep families here and enhance value in the neighborhoods just about every leader around here can't wait to tear everything down. They continue to hold onto this idea of demolition first, think second, regret later even though it creates far fewer/temporary jobs, erases tax base and devalues a neighborhood. At times it seems like the tear-it-down mentality in this region does more to hold the Metro area and the state back that most other things.

For once I would like to see our leaders fully embrace something innovative like what Blight Busters is doing than cling to old ideas that have proven again and again that they don't work. Bing has done this a little bit but its seems Cockrell, the supposed green mayor, and his administration can't wait to rev up the building eaters at times. In a time when jobs in the city are evaporating, the city's tax base is shriveling, residents are fleeing and budget deficits are expanding exponentially, renovating the city's building stock should be a bigger issue.

Investors work with group to rehabilitate, sell Detroit houses
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090301/BUSINESS04/903010306/1 017/BUSINESS/Investors+work+wi th+group+to+rehabilitate++sell +Detroit+houses

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 524
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent article, E_Hemingway! Your points are all valid and I salute Blight Busters for the work they do in their part of town.

Here is another article from yesterday's Detroit News about a guy who renovated an old 1930's Tudor somewhere on the west side, and from the photos on the News website it looks great!

http://www.detroitnews.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200902 28/OPINION03/902280301/1038

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 364
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've talked to John George several times, and I believe that he is earnest in his efforts. I admire what Blight Busters has done in Old Redford.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.