Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Anthony's Gourmet Pizza in Ann Arbor--Ever Been? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worth the visit? Any good?

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in Ann Arbor, they were located on Packard, right in my neighborhood. On the $$ side so I didn't go there often but would have liked to. :-) Very, very good. They make a vegetarian pie (with broccoli, much better than it sounds) that I would order without cheese. The sauce has such a great flavor that you don't miss the cheese at all. I definitely recommend you visit. :-)

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the better pizzas in town, but I don't think it's worth driving a great distance for. The Packard location is closed. For a slice of pizza near the U-M campus, try Silvio's, in the back of a group of stores on North University. True Italian stuff. Eat it there--it's best hot out of the oven.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4478
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Anthony's the place that makes (real) deep dish, stuffed crust pizza?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 363
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes--Chicago-style.

http://www.anthonysgourmet.com /

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4479
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^

In that case, *highly* recommended! As noted above, the sauce has great flavor. Best deep dish I've had outside of Chicago.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 935
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second Silvio's. Great, neapolitan style pizza. I also like Tomato's Apizza in Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield. Zingerman's was making pizza at the Bakehouse a few years ago. The woman who had the little soup place on Trowbridge off of the corner of Joseph Campau in Hamtown, about 10 years ago, was the lead in their pizza making. It was very good but they finally gave up on it. I think it was a bit before its time. It seems in the ensuing years that the whole fresh Neapolitan pizza thing came about full force.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 936
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three very good books on the subject of Neapolitan Style Pizza are: Pizza: A Slice of Heaven, by Ed Levine, Pizza: Anyway You Slice It!, by Charles & Michele Scicolone and The Pizza Book, by Evelyne Slomon. Beware - you'll need pizza nearby and accessible if you start reading these books.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 937
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zingerman's was making Zatar style pizza which is different than Italian pizza in that it is served on Zatar (pronounced like batter) bread, a middle eastern style pita.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, time flies. In the early '90s, they were in a gas station on Packard. They were always delicious......The first place I had a White Pizza...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.