Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Detroit mini-station reopened, new EMS' purchased « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 526
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From www.wwj.com:

Detroit Neighborhoods Get "Mini" Safety Boost

Detroit (WWJ) -- It was a boost for Detroit safety services Friday with the unveiling of a new mobile mini-station, the re-opening of a police mini-station on Schaefer, and the purchase of 28 new EMS vehicles.

Detroit Police Chief James Barron said the mobile mini stations are something the residents have been asking for, "This one will be deployed in areas where we don't have [permanent] mini stations. Information will get out through community meetings where it will be located," Chief Barron said.

"It is something that is sorely needed, " he said.

Detroit resident and community activist, Tyrone Carter, told WWJ Newsradio 950's Beth Fisher he hopes these additions will be helpful.

"There's a lot of criminal activity in the neighborhood. Open-air transactions, certain corners -- Fort Street/Outer Drive is notorious for prostitution activity. It's right across the street from Lincoln Park, and there's none on the Lincoln Park side," Carter said.

"Why do they feel so comfortable? Because there's no police presence," he said.

Theresa Landrum of Southwest Detroit said that, while she's happy to see the mini station re-opened, it's not nearly enough.

"They have to put more manpower out in our streets," Landrum said. "Just because the mini station opened, it's going to be Senior Citizens manning that police department. We're going to need permanent patrol," she said.

http://www.wwj.com/Detroit-Nei ghborhoods-Get--Mini--Safety-B oost/3933364

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just wondering: how many 9-1-1 calls will this mobile mini-station respond to?

Oh, yeah. Right. NONE.

The Cockrel Clowns are just wasting more of my money.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all you do is bitch

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the other threads.

I've also proposed several suggestions on how the Cockrel Clowns could do a better job, if they were actually interested.

But they're not.

And so we just wait until May so we can have a grown-up in the Mayor's Office.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2600
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank, I think the 8.9% at the polls and 5% of write ins will prove that Cockrel is our mayor! A carpetbagger? For real? How could you?

Motown
Username: Motown

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That truck was actually purchased during the Kwame/Ella Bully administration. It's been sitting collecting dust since at least last October.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, SS. I know.

I should just go look at the pretty flashing lights that I'm sure the mobile mini-station has. That will calm me down.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn't they suppsoedly purchase a bunch of EMS units a couple years ago, but somehow squandered the money to pay for them so they were never delivered? Seem to remember reading something to that effect in the news awhile back.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 769
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what does it do?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3588
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame Kilpatrick's transition team member in charge of the EMS reorganization blew it. Bought a bunch of SUVs, which cannot carry patients. The rationale was that EMS would arrive, use the stuff in the SUV to help patients on-site, then bring in an ambulance if nec. Only problem is, when the patient is a trauma victim, all the drug boxes in the world won't help; they need to be rushed to a skilled surgeon or risk dying. And when you're on the family's front lawn with an SUV and a bleeding gunshot victim, that family is going to be pissed.

A little while later, I noticed I never saw an SUV marked anything other than SUPERVISOR. So I assume they gave the SUVs to the FD staff instead of using them.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So what does it do?

It's like a regular mini-station, except that it moves and has pretty, flashing lights on it.

You can find a photo of it @ http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29 433386/

I like how they included this line in the article:
quote:

The Mobile Mini-Station will give the DPD the ability to station personnel in emerging "hot spots" throughout the city...

I am so glad that we're getting a mobile mini-station now. Because, you know, it's not like we can just assign officers to a squad car and send them into those "hot spots". We need a specially designed truck for that.

*sigh*

DPD had its mobile command post stationed in the Warrendale neighborhood for a couple of weeks this past fall. Would anyone like to know what it accomplished?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do regular work in Warrendale. Considering that one customer who lives there gave up calling the police, yes.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've also proposed several suggestions on how the Cockrel Clowns could do a better job, if they were actually interested. "

Instead of posting them online...have you tried to contact the Mayor's office directly? I don't think KC is looking on Dyes on ways to his job better.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viziondetroit:
I sent Mayor Cockrel a letter that outlined those proposal within a week of him assuming office. Neither he nor any member of his staff ever responded. The posts on my blog and on this forum were simply a matter of repeating them.

Hamtragedy:
The fact that your customer has given up on calling the police simply illustrates how ineffective things like the mobile command post and mobile mini-station are at combating the crime that is systemic within Detroit's neighborhoods. My comment above was intended as sarcasm.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why I mentioned it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.