Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Detroit ISP's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Adoublearonn
Username: Adoublearonn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So comcast has truly pissed me off by discontinuing analog stations over CABLE in detroit. Now you must have a cable box on a TV with cable in order to get any channels. Anyone know about this?
Plus their prices are outrageous and continue to rise.

Any alternatives besides AT&T DSL for broadband in detroit nowdays?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 748
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck with this one.

Adoublearonn
Username: Adoublearonn

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your sympathy is heartfelt. truly... haha

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 728
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AT&T U-Verse. I've heard nothing but rave reviews, although I can't personally vouch for them.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6763
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard just the opposite regarding AT&T U-Verse but that was when they were just setting up in the area. They might've smoothed things out since then but friends of mine had numerous bouts of outages with them. They had to call the AT&T repair guys out to their house numerous times to fix simple things such as connectors to the house. And since my friends also bought into their TV/ISP/phone service, they had to make long winded phone calls on their cell phone in order to get any sort of satisfaction. It wasn't until nearly a month of going back & forth did they finally get it right. So far so good but it tried my friends' patience to the point of almost going back to Comcast.

Maybe AT&T has gotten it right now but I heard a fair amount of select words heaved their way initially.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, I have had AT&T, a year in January, and the only problem I had was one that of the remotes went on the fritz about a two months ago. I called the technical service number and they walked me through a few test. After about 15 min., it wouldn't re-program so they sent me a new one and had in a 2 days.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get the box for like $5 I heard.

I'm going to go get one today / tomorrow.

I will let you know how it works.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does U-Verse have CBC yet?

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adoublearonn,

I don't post very often but this thread caught my eye. If you or anybody else is interested there's an ISP called starnetwireless.net . I heard their ad on WWJ and looked them up online when I was looking at ISP companies last year. You put in your phone no. and guess what? A live person actually called me back the next day to let me know my phone no. would be able to get service. I was looking for the email saying service is or isn't in your area so that was a surprise to have somebody call back. They're located in Bay City and have been around a few years but now they're branching out and have been advertising on WWJ for awhile. They sent out the modem and started service. Now I did check other ISP's including AT&T but I was put off by their pay up front for the modem, then get the rebate for it later. I didn't have to do that with Starnet Wireless. They sent it out along with the necessary wiring, plug and paperwork with instructions. My service is just for home and I only pay $22.93/mth. That includes taxes. I've had no problems with service and I could call anytime I had questions especially when I had a little confusion on my part while conneting everything together. You do it yourself but they were more than happy to help me with it. This is the first time I've had wireless but I think this is comparable to AT&T's fastest service in terms of high speed. My daughter is able to download movies, shows, and music on her Ipod and play games on WII's network. Those people playing Mario Kart all over the world are brutal when she goes up against them!! No mercy there!!

starnetwireless.net or
email: info@starnetwireless.net
PH. 1-800-996-9250

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what you are saying is that with only a comcast line into your house (internet) you've been also able to enjoy limited cable on your TV without paying correct?

Yes I do also. However I have a TV that can decode the signal from the cable into digital stations. Like channel 2 is actually 2.1 (decoded and saved by my TV as such) in 720 digital for free. Yes, I do not have to have a comcast box to decode the signal, my TV does it. I get about 72 stations in NTS and another 35 is digital. All of the major networks come in digital but they vary greatly.

Channel 4.1 is 1080p
Channel 7.1 is 720p
Channel 62.1 is 1080p
and so forth.....

The digital converter is just that. It converts the analog TV to receive digital signals but does not tune in digital. You will only see it as analog and therefore you will not get the splits (as in channel 2 is split to 2.1 and so on)

Best bet here is to get a new TV that has a digital receiver. You don't have to spend as much as I did with my 52" Sony Bravia XBR4 but ask the salesman if the TV has a receiver which does the digital decoding. This will save you from renting a box from Comcast.

I hate to have another box because it interrupts the PIP, also I have all these remotes laying around, this gets annoying..... errrrrrr.

Doma
Username: Doma

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get a T1, it's cheap!

www.zingmax.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.