Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Audio Field Recording- Call to prayer (Mosque) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking for a mosque that that broadcasts a call to prayer through speakers to the surrounding neighborhood in the Metro Detroit Area. I would prefer a live Imam over a recorded one, but would appreciate either. I am a photographer who would like to do a series on the grittier parts of Warren ave. in Dearborn. and the audio would be part of a slideshow type multimedia production. Thanks.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck, every freaking night around 6pm.

Good luck

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5365
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are doing an honest piece about Dearborn then you should find a call to prayer from Dearborn that you can actually hear while on Warren.

Bigcab

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lilpup :

I agree, however if I can't find an audio source near Warren ave in Dearborn, I'll take it where i can find it. This is for a personal portfolio, not National Geographic.

Big Baby Jebus : Could You be anymore specific as to a good location to be. Street intersections would be appreciated..I'll be travelling from Port Huron to record this..would love to get it in one trip. Thanks

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fort & Deaborn streets right across the street Woodmere. Sun up and sundown.

Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Holbrook Ave you can hear it. I used to live over there and it sounds like it came from North of there, near the old hospital.

So yeah North of Caniff I believe. East of Joesph Campu.

Seriously though it's one of the major reasons I moved from that area, too many little kids and that damn Masque.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2253
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The grittier parts of the arabic community on Warren Ave are not in Dearborn but rather in Detroit w of Greenfield. There are several storefront Mosques in that area with the biggest being on Warren E of Greenfield (Next to the Gas Station).

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spend a day in Hamtramck 3-4 mosques in the area at least. I dont know if any of them are recordings or not. I generally walk the dog from 6-7pm and I hear them. they seem louder in the winter. I find it very soothing to listen to.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember them fondly from my days in Jerusalem, Turkish Cyprus and Turkey. The call to prayer is a beautifully mournful song. Agree on preferring live over recorded especially when you can also see the cryer. Ditto for preferring live over recorded on the Christian carillons I hear every day in Farmington.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 993
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HU AKBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live near W. Warren and don't know of any "gritty" parts on the two miles of that street that run through Dearborn. If anything, the Arab-American community has rebuilt W. Warren in Dearborn into a vibrant commerical strip. I also never have heard any calls to prayer along W. Warren.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 584
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you are doing an honest piece about Dearborn then you should find a call to prayer from Dearborn that you can actually hear while on Warren.

Hey, who cares if the piece is honest as long as it's a good story. Oops, sorry...I thought I was on the LeDuff thread.

Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand how anyone can find the call to prayer "soothing"

Personally I find it..."creepy, disturbing, and annoying"...anything but soothing

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you wont hear calls to prayer anywhere in east dearborn. You need to go to the southend of dearborn, in the shadow of the rouge plant along Dix Ave(commonly believed to be Detroit). The more conservative and newly arrived immigrants have a call to prayer at the Dix mosque, last i knew anyway.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 666
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "gritty" section of East Dearborn is the area Kova mentioned above. Thats where you find the chain-link fences surrounding a house and vacant lots in between.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 331
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't understand how anyone can find the call to prayer "soothing""

I don't mind it. I mostly only hear it at 6 a.m. if I'm awake, when all else is quiet. I live pretty much equidistant between the building on Holbrook where it's broadcasted and St. Florian church. I hear the church bells more, but neither bother me or wake me up. Both remind me that I live in a "community," not just an "area," and I like that.

Loud car stereos, car horns, and people yelling on the street are more of a noise issue in Hamtramck.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3102
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigcab, I just spoke to Deanne Olive of The Arab-American News. She is at (313) 582-4888 and would be delighted to assist you with your inquiry.

(Message edited by ravine on March 02, 2009)

Bigcab

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent..Thank You Ravine. I will call Her tomorrow. I appreciate Your effort.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.