Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Consumer Report Top 5 Best Value New Small Cars « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I encourage everyone to read the comments.

This is what the rest of the country thinks about foreign cars.

http://consumerist.com/5164515 /top-5-best-value-new-small-ca rs

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It gets worse once you take a look at the other Best Value Classes.

Best Value Small Cars: Honda Civic EX, Honda Fit (base), Hyundai Elantra SE, Toyota Corolla LE, and the Honda Civic Hybrid

Best Value Family Cars: Toyota Prius Touring, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Prius (base), Hyundai Sonata (4-cyl.), and the Honda Accord (4-cyl.)

Best Value Small SUVs: Toyota RAV4 (4-cyl.), Toyota RAV4 (V6), Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander (4-cyl.), and the Nissan Rogue

Best Value Midsized SUVs: Hyundai Santa Fe, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Nissan Murano, and the Honda Pilot

http://blogs.consumerreports.o rg/cars/2009/03/understanding- best-new-car-values.html?EXTKE Y=I91ECON&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristL inks

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Consumer Reports, of course, won't give away their detailed information unless you're a subscriber, which I'm not. But this snippet is very revealing:

"In total, we don’t think the Aveo5 is a good car, and therefore don’t recommend it as a good value, let alone a Best Value."

So they had a Chevrolet with low cost of ownership, but the car sucks (based on their testing), so it doesn't make the grade.

Unfortunately that ties in with what the rest of the country thinks about American iron. We suck, or so they believe. I don't know; I drive only Ford vehicles and I've had great luck with them over the many years. But I can only buy just so many cars.

At the University, in the College in which I teach, a friend of mine had posted something which served as a slogan for a time: "We can survive anything except poor quality." Apparently my friend was right.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott, the Chevrolet Aveo is produced by Daewoo, so is it really an "American" car, or simply an import with an American name tag? These days, it takes some research to know where a car is made or how much U.S. content it has. My mantra has always been: Buy the best quality car you can find for the money you have to spend.

(Message edited by Newport1128 on March 05, 2009)

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 422
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people are brainwashed into thinking they're automatically better because they're foreign. They're biased, much like many of us are to the hometown product - which begs the question, why do they have alliances to companies that erode our national economy?

But they also don't seem to realize that Ford and GM make the Fusion, Malibu, Aura - amongst others - that are serious contenders (and in my opinion, superior) to the Toyota, Hyundai and Honda offerings. Or, that they make small cars at all(national opinion: Ford makes the Pinto, GM makes some SUV that gets 5 MPG).

I love my GM vehicles - both are reliable, and get mid to upper-20's in MPG (around 30 on the one, if driven non lead-footed).

Edit: Fixed a couple of typos. Need more coffee.

(Message edited by wazootyman on March 05, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.