Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Federal funds for preservation of Tiger Stadium » Archive through March 02, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read in the local paper that the federal budget that President Obama proposed for fiscal Ten included 3.8 million for the preservation of
what remains of Tiger Statium. Can anyone confirm this?

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this has been in the works; I'm not sure if it is confirmed that it is happening.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard it on Channel 7 news this morning. Ridiculous

Birdie

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it ridiculous?

The Tiger Stadium Conservancy has already raised a great deal of money for the project. From what I understand, it will contain retail, office space and small baseball museum. The field will be used by high school players and other groups. I think it will be a great asset to the corktown and to the city. It's a lot better than a parking lot...

http://www.savetigerstadium.or g/

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope it happens.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it happens, but if it is another dream that will take several years to pull off then I will pass. If we have to wait more then a year to start the project I think we are wasting our time. The longer this drags out the less likely it is to happen.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The longer this drags out the less likely it is to happen.

Always nice to see the experts chime in. Are you on the board of the Conservancy? Do you have some inside information?

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When has a project in this town ever happened with a lightning quickness? Was the Book-Cadillac restoration a waste of time because it took five years? Should we scrap any proposed Cobo expansion because it's taking so long?

Things worth doing often take time. The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy is trying to do something that has never happened before anywhere.

If you can make a solid business case for knocking the rest of Tiger Stadium down, make it. So far no one has. Land is basically worthless everywhere right now and especially in Detroit. Regionally we face a real estate surplus, a shrinking population, dying industry and, in case anyone hasn't noticed lately, the city-proper isn't exactly known for stellar city services and first-rate public schools.

The OTSC has a plan to re-use the stadium because THE STADIUM ADDS VALUE TO AN OTHERWISE WORTHLESS PIECE OF REAL ESTATE. It's not something that's ever been done before and, even it there was a template, it's still a difficult project. These things take time.

In December of 2006, the OTSC had it's first board meeting and $0 in the bank. In little over two years they've built a Board of Directors that includes some big names (Thomas Linn, Steve Tobocman, Dan Varner, etc), secured community support, gained funding, grew a plan from scratch, and got the city to buy into it. Actually, the OTSC has moved at a break neck pace, other things considered.

To say this is a bad idea because it might try your patience is short-sighted. Is this the new slogan - Detroit: Worth saving if it isn't too damn hard?

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 497
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a one of a kind project. It has never been done before. The site will become a tourist spot as well.

Birdie

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well said, haikoont

Beech_cricker
Username: Beech_cricker

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a listen to the latest interview with OTSC Board Member Gary Gillette which was recorded just before the Federal earmark was passed by the U. S. House of Representatives this past Wednesday:

www.preservetigerstadium.com/m edia/garygillette022409.mp3

Note the Federal funds are important in terms of kicking off additional funding.

I take last week's passage of these funds by the House as a very encouraging sign.

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maintain your patience. Our stated target -- we are saving a notable edifice -- demands imperturbability. Those ever-demanding jokers expecting lightning: keep realistic ambitions, not testiness.

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in Montreal, I went out of my way to see the old Montreal Forum (now retail/theatre/museum) and couldn't seem to find time for a visit to a surface lot...

English
Username: English

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I don't get is why they ever started knocking it down in the first place, unless there was a plan for immediate reuse. I don't get why some places get the wrecking ball and other's don't.

Having said that, I'm all in favor of this if there's some money attached.

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a damn joke.

I did the environmental due diligence on this stadium for its transfer from the city to the DEGC. I wrote the Due Care Plan, managed the Pre-Demolition Asbestos and Hazardous Material Surveys and wrote the project design specifications. Lastly, I helped qualify the abatement and demolition contractors who did the work. The last thing we need is to spend money on is this piece of shit. It is a largely demolished ball stadium that was in horrible shape. By the way, the ball field was not exactly clean. There was impact in the soil from decades of additives that were used to keep the playing field in great shape.

Its over people. There is a new stadium and this one is gone. In regards to why it came down its all about a variety of factors, potential development plans, price of scrap and funds available through CMI that would eventually disappear. More to it than that, but desire to remove that stadium has been around a long time.

Sorry and I know I will get hammered for this post, but there isn't significant history at this site worthy of federal money. It was a baseball stadium. Period. No real important American history happened here. Just men playing a game for what amounts to an entertainment industry. There are plenty of museums to document the athletics of long retired or dead ball players.

Four million dollars for what? Good god. Fix streets, buy textbooks, feed the needy. Don't waste money we have to borrow to fix up a left to rot mess that has largely been demolished.

If you are at all confused about my opinion, please let me know. I can clarify it.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 355
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

brownfieldguy...no disrespect, but i think you've been spending too much time with asbestos and hazmat.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6743
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brownfieldguy, I'm not going to hammer you but I guess I would have to ask you what do you consider of historical value?

I hear you speaking of museums dedicated to these ball players but why stop there? According to your perception, why should there even be money spent on museums? Or even spend money on saving anything that's deemed too old or outlived its usefulness? Of course it's always much more prudent to spend on fixing the streets, feeding the needy, etc.. but if there is money available to this- why not let some people preserve the memory of this ballpark, the people that played there, and save it for the people who came to watch games there with their family and friends?

Don't you grasp the idea that we as society still likes to revere its history? Who determines what's worthy saving? Is there an arbitrary cut off calendar date when something becomes worthy of saving?

From what I understand, what hasn't been demolished is the original Navin Field before it got enclosed. At least the people that are trying to save the old ball park have a much more solidified plan (and cash backing) as to what the property can be than some of the city officials.

And Brownfieldguy, obviously you were hired to do research as to the demolition of the ball park but were you even given any indication of what would be put into place AFTER your plan had gone into effect?

(Message edited by smogboy on February 28, 2009)

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 268
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey BFG..DUHHHHH!!

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brownfieldguy - This project is great. I honestly don't think this is a waste of tax-money. Its what, an average of 13 cents from each American? This project has the potential to help revitalize the neighborhood, bring in new residents, and spur neighboring developments. There's a reason a lot of the Corktown area leadership is behind this project.
Plus, it'll bring in a lot of construction jobs, interest, and perhaps most importantly, excitement. I'm all for it.

Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is nothing more than an extreme extravagance. Using federal funding to prop up the remains of a baseball stadium? No way. You can use that funds for far, far, better purposes. The best example option I ever saw considered for this site was:

1. Demo it.
2. Land transfer to the Red Wings and they build their new stadium on this site. Its the right size and has good freeway access. Lots of jobs there people and would do wonders for the neighborhood.
3. The Joe gets turned over to the city or DEGC, Cobo authority, etc.
4. Joe gets removed and the land becomes part of Cobo expansion.

All is well. This was a real option for a while during the demolition. Can't happen with what you guys want.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I guess it is a good thing that you aren't making the decisions BFG...because the Corktown community's best interest and voice would be lost in such a scenario.

The fact that you think a hockey arena would "do wonders for the neighborhood" reveals everything we need to know about your perspective. Corktown will never move forward if it remains a parking lot for a single use facility. I am sorry you can't see that.

Herbpowell
Username: Herbpowell

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Corktown and rather have be a Walmart than Red Wings. This is a neighborhood that has not coincidentally thrived since the Tigers left unlike the rest of the city. There is plenty of land by Motor City if he needs land. If the federal government wants to give us money for Tiger Stadium I am not going to turn it down, could the money be spent better elsewhere? Probably but that's not our decision, if they earmark us 3.8 million for roads or eastern market or the riverfront or whatever I am going to take and hope it turns into something unique and positive for my city.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we've found the answer to when that coffee bar plans to re-open. They're waiting for this development to get off the ground so they'll be able to rake in the bucks from all the tourists who'll be traveling through.

Unbelievable. Worst economy since the great depression with people really hurting and 3.8 million in fed money might be spent on a section of Tiger Stadium. The charm of that stadium left with the wrecking ball. What remains now just looks ridiculous.

Histeric

Post Number: 335
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What remains now are the bones of the original Navin field...but do continue making your inane observations about a project that hasn't even begun construction. If/when it gets redeveloped, you can take it all back.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a huge difference between being able to determine the amount of asbestos in a structure and being able to determine the economic value in one.

After all, it wasn't that long ago that folks were saying in this forum there was no chance for the Book-Cadillac to ever re-open or to remain economically viable once it does.

Beech_cricker
Username: Beech_cricker

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk, what remains looks ridiculous? Outside of the pavilion seating down each foul line, this is what Navin Field looked like from 1923-36. Navin Field is to be reborn with the OTSC plan.

Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek, that's nice.... make a comment about asbestos in a structure and then a comment about not being able to see the value in the property. Like you even have a clue in regards to what I know how to do or know of what redevelopment plans that I have written throughout Detroit and this state. This project will generate little end value other than emotional satisfaction. Its not enough.

However, I can understand teh sentiment about taking the money and run if offered. But that is like building bridges to nowhere, earmarks, and plain old fashioned pork.

By the way, I worked on Book Cadillac and helped make it work. Also several other prominent projects in Detroit too. What have you ever done? Buy baseball game tickets? Save your condescending remarks for someone else. You might not like my opinion, but it is not merely based on a whim or just personal preference.

By the way, what's your plan to address the elevated arsenic, lead and DDT that lays in the ballfield? It exists and has not been fully evaluated. Figure it out before you bring the kids down to play on the field.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 585
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info and the professional experience you bring to this forum. I'd never thought of the environmental impact of the playing field. If the levels are such that it poses a danger to those who play on it then it should either be corrected or isolated. I'm a former member of the Tiger Stadium Fan Club.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yawn.

Did someone hear something?

Histeric

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing we haven't heard before.