Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » One CLASS guy! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Associated Press, April 25:

"Closer Troy Percival did not throw a pitch for Detroit last season, but the players still awarded the former Angels reliever a full playoff share.

"Percival, now retired, reciprocated by spending $120,000 to lease an 18-seat luxury suite at Comerica Park for players' wives to use this season.

"I've never heard of anything like it," Detroit closer Todd Jones said. "It's the best gesture I've ever seen"

-----------------------

Indeed it is. Man, that's CLASS.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Impressive. Of course, we did pay him $6 million :-)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 940
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still class. Wonder what Sergei Federov would do? Buy a new sportscar? Or ask for a more lucrative contract?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2729
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps he's planning on taking in a few games there with them in that suite.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 712
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how much of that share he spent on the wives (cohorting no doubt) and how much of that $12MIL he spent on some trinkets for himself.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5058
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why criticize a guy for doing a nice gesture?

Did he have to do anything with the money that he EARNED? Yes, he earned it- the Tigers organization and he both knew the risks involved when they BOTH signed the contract. As a fan- sure I'm disappointed he didn't pitch like a Cy Young winner but that's my disappointment; I'm sure the Ilitches are even more bummed because it's their money he's getting paid with. If given the same situation- how many of us would not have taken that money in that guaranteed contract?

So let's stop being petty and at least admire the guy for his nice gesture to the players' wives. If someone has got factual content of something he did morally wrong, then let's hear it but if not then...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 690
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice gesture, but I'm not going to pat a guy on the back who made just under $500,000 for each inning he pitched with the Tigers because he gives back a playoff share that he really didn't deserve.

He gave the money to the spouses of millionaires. He should have used the money to buy Tigers tickets for underprivileged kids in the area.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5060
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure he could've done a LOT more good with that money and I'm sure there are a billion of other worthy causes, charities, firms, and organizations that he could've spent his money.

He could've easily taken every last cent of his money and beat a fast path out of the city and no one would've noticed.... so let's stop complaining about what he COULD've done with his money.

He at least put it back in the city somehow.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.