Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » The NFL Draft « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 282
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Predictions today: And what would you prefer

A. Raiders take Calvin Johnson and the Lions take Russel.
B: Lions take Calvin Johnson at #2 and keep him
C. Lions take Calvin Johnson at #2 and trade him later in the day.
D. Lions trade the #2 with Tampa and move down to take Gaines Adams
E. Lions trade the #2 with Atlanta and move down to take Patrick Willis
F. Lions take another player at #2
G. None of the above

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 952
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll wait until 1:00 before I make my prediction. :-)

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C and C

Trade with Tampa Bay for Gaines Adams and get both of their 2nd round picks for C. Johnson and our 3rd round pick.

Then use the 2nd round pick from TB (35) to get G Justin Blalock from Texas and our 2nd round pick (34) to get the best MLB (maybe Harris-U-M) or CB (maybe Wade-Tenn or McCauley-Fresno St) on the board.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5068
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've got Calvin Johnson now...let's see if there are any worthwhile offers as the day progresses. If not, I'm okay with keeping him for the long haul.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would rather have traded down and got patrick willis at 8

Smogboy

Post Number: 5069
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Millen just stated that CJ isn't going anywhere and Mike WIlliams' career as a WR was done before it even started.

And maybe I just have a little more faith this year because Marinelli was involved. He seems to be looking for character + skill whereas Millen always fell for the hype. But then color me a Lions slappie for thinking that- how many times have we been burned by pre-season optimism?

Username: 1805

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was hoping they'd trade down and pick up some defense in the first two rounds. Hopefully this Calvin Johnson cat has his head on his shoulders.

Draft defense or OL in 2nd.

Troy Smith in 3rd!

Scs100

Post Number: 957
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Brady Quinn will still be around for the Lions second round pick. If he is, you would have to think they'd take him.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 348
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Browns trade up for Quinn @#22

Personally, I don't see what Quinn did against *top* competition to justify the hype.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Personally, I don't see what Quinn did against *top* competition to justify the hype."

That's likely why he only went #22.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5070
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every interview I've seen with Calvin Johnson seems to paint this guy as being somewhat humble. I'm hoping that this guy has it together- won't be a primadonna, pain in the butt and another botched draft for the team. We've had far too many already within the last few years.

Scs100

Post Number: 960
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the Lions traded their second round pick to the Bills.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5073
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone read Drew Sharp's articles on the draft today in the Freep? What a negative buffoon. It's more of a rant that belongs here as opposed to a real newspaper (shows you how relevant some of the columnists have become). At least offer some more in-depth analysis as oppposed to the tired belittling of our dopey Lions prez.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

millen is a fool; the team is done move 'em back to portsmouth

Smogboy

Post Number: 5075
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who are the bigger fools? Millen or those of us that still care about the team? As much as we rant about it, admit it... we still want the Lions to succeed.

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DREW STANTON!!!! As an MSU student and life long Lions fan this is awesome. Unfortunately, I'm sure the Lions will find someway to let me down like they always do though.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5077
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...now there's some serious buzz going on about the NFL Draft! Getting Stanton seems like a very nice coup in the second round.

Scs100

Post Number: 963
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions have now traded Mike Williams and Josh McCown to the Raiders for the first pick in the fourth round.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5078
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Williams was a toss in. I think McCown was the real prize the Raiders have been eyeing for a long time. Maybe both of those guys will play receiver in Oakland now. HA!

But for JUST a fourth round pick? That seems relatively cheap but who knows?

Smogboy

Post Number: 5079
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also in round two, Ikaika Alama-Francis DT from Hawaii and Gerald Alexander CB from Boise State so it was nice to see the defensive side of the ball addressed somewhat as well.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 349
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect that Martz is comfortable with Orlovsky as a backup (if not, then they wouldn't have risked putting McCown out at WR last season).

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Oakland cuts Mike Williams before the season starts. To me this deal looks like McCown for a 4th rounder, with Detroit getting to avoid cutting their former 1st round pick, and Oakland getting a long shot chance that Williams turns his attitude around and can contribute.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5081
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought Williams should've been a tight end given his weight and apparent lack of WR speed. But given his work ethic or lack thereof, he wasn't going to be the sort of player Marinelli wanted.

I know Roy Williams went to bat for him and was disappointed but I'm wondering how he's going to feel with Calvin Johnson opposite him on the other wing now? I'm sure he, John Kitna, Mike Martz and the rest of the offensive core must be thrilled to have Johnson as opposed to Mike WIlliams now.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 473
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gerald Alexander pick is a strange one. He is rated about a 4th rounder and we had the 10th pick of the 3rd round. So we trade our 3rd round and 4th round pick to move up 12 spots and pick him late in the 2nd round. To me we gave up way to much when he probably would have been available in the 3rd round.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.