Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » NBC: Red Wings & Kentucky Derby « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else wondering what NBC might do if the Wings/Sharks playoff game goes into several overtimes tomorrow? The network has exclusive rights to both that game and the Kentucky Derby, which is set to start at about 6:04 PM. Granted, the hockey game will likely be over, but would NBC dare cutting away from a third overtime for coverage of the Derby? They're put in a precarious position, but I think they'd lose a TON of credibility as a serious sports broadcaster if they left a game in progress to cover the Derby. At the same time, if they don't cover it, they're not doing their job. Tough call. You can bet the execs at NBC are hoping tomorrow's hockey game is decided in regulation.

Thoughts?

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 802
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayhaps they would opt for a Pic-in-pic or split screen? Audio to the derby, much more exciting play by play.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never understood the whole deal -- the race is over in what, a few minutes? I also do have some problems regarding the whole thoroughbred program, running three year olds with increasingly gracile long bones, Barbaro was an inevitability.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll probably switch the hockey game to MSLSD during one of the breaks between OT's, and show the race.

Wasn't there a football game that was cut away from in the last seconds to begin the movie "Heidi" ? The apparent winner lost, and it was a famous gaffe in early TV.

James

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 453
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the advertising $$$$ are with the derby. That's what will be on

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was listening to WXYT online today and they said that if the game goes to OT, they will switch to the Derby PRE RACE festivities. Not even just the race, but the whole garbage leading up to the race.

What a load of crap.

Whatever, hopefully the Wings just win it in regulation.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5104
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortunately for NBC, the Wings dispatched the Sharks pretty early.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 364
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my goodness, the Wings could have played OT all the way up to 6:00 before they cut into anything of quality in NBC's pre-race coverage: "The most boring 2 hours leading up to the most exciting 2 minutes in sports."

(Was it less than 2 hours? I sure seemed longer than that!)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.