Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » Are we ready to give Flip credit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2006 - Choking in the playoffs, losing Ben Wallace, near revolt by Rasheed.

2007 - Beast of the East, Replacing Nazr with Chris Webber, 7-0 in playoffs, getting national recognition for the new zone defense, team seems more focused and consistent.

Admittedly I was one of the loudest ones calling for Flip's "incompetent" head last year, but I think I'm ready to give him credit for greatly improving as a coach. This team looks good.

Comments???

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 511
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When things are bad everybody blames the coach
When things are good nobody thinks of the coach

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 966
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flip Saunders -- DEFENSIVE genius??

LOL. Who'da thought. Teams sure as hell can't seem to figure it out though.

Yvette248

Post Number: 508
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, some of us here are aware that journalists regularly scour this board (and others), but imagine my surprise when I saw this Free Press headline a few minutes ago......

MICHAEL ROSENBERG
Praise of Saunders is long overdue
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070512/SPORTS0 3/70512020

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 427
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did we speak too soon?
The 'Stons have to close out game 6. Period.

Flip is good but remember he only did so much in Minnesota, even with a good trio of KG, Sam Cassel and Spreewell back in 2003 when they lost to the Lakers in the Western Conf. finals.

Yvette248

Post Number: 511
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you think Chauncey meant by this statement???

"Those guys aren't going away," he said of the Bulls. "They are young. They are hungry. They are disciplined. They are WELL-COACHED."

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He meant, "I'm not giving them any quotes to use as bulletin board material to seethe about all summer long."

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5156
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the Bulls are well coached, but I don't see that as an indictment on Flip either. Chauncey's a veteran and knows how to speak to the media; I think Zephyrprocess nailed it on the head. Why give the other team something to come back and smack you with later?

There are lots of well coached teams in the NBA but very few with the talent level that Detroit has. It'd also be safe to say that Pat Riley, Phil Jackson and a handful of other guys aren't great coaches as well. I think you're reaching and trying to see smoke where there isn't fire, Yvette248.

Yvette248

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a Phil fan, but Riley? Guys like Riley, Chuck Daly, and, yes, unfortunately Larry Brown -- those guys are legends. Flip is okay, but he's not Chuck Daly.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.