Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » Wings gave it away « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between the OT goal on Sunday and the third period tonight it shows they weren't playing as hard as they could have throughout the series.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5172
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The flip side of the argument is that the Ducks played pretty well too. It's a game of mistakes. Obviously the Wings made one more than the Ducks did and the golf course beckons.

Kudos to the Wings for scrapping as hard as they have and making it this far.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 606
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This series was more about Anaheim getting the bounces their way than it was Detroit playing poorly. Outside of 25 minutes tonight, and a handful of minutes the rest of the series, Detroit dominated this series.

Congrats to the Ducks. GO SENS!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played ice hockey for 12 years at defense and I can say Lidstrom blew it this game and last by putting his stick down instead of his body when blocking the puck. Trade him for a goalie!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 607
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, I have played defense for many years as well, since I learned the game...

All of us defensemen have made that play a hundred times. Youngsters are taught to get their stick on the puck in front. We've seen Lidstrom make similar plays That was a bounce that just went against us. A 1 inch wide stick changed the course of the series...that just defines hockey. It is a game of inches.

Tonight a buddy counted the amount of shots deflected over the net by someone sticking their stick out--it happened 17 times total. That is a chance that is taken, but people would praise him if the puck had bounced over the net.

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on May 23, 2007)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5173
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...playing twelve years of amateur hockey telling a multi-Norris Trophy winning defenseman who's eventually bound for the Hockey Hall of Fame how he should've played it. Now THAT's laughable.

Like Detroitstar said, this game is literally played in microscopic inches. A touch one way, it's disaster and a fraction the other and it's nullified. Lidstrom's never been a defenseman to go down and sprawl to block shots; he's much MUCH more effective as a mobile defenseman utilizing a poke check and superb positioning. Realize his game before playing Monday morning defenseman.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know his game very well, and it is soft. you don't put your stick down in front of the net, you need to take away the other man and let the goalie take the shooter. I was taught that in mite hockey.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I don't enjoy being right about this. Truth be told I was only going against the wings cause I was hoping that they would prove me wrong and they did 4 most of the playoffs...I just didn't want to jinx anything by revealing my true motives till now...

I am proud of them and am not nearly as dissapointed as I was past years, but I guess I cant really expect them to go from going out in the 1st round to stanley cup champs...I don't know...

I don't think the fault was in us...I really do think the ducks were the better team on this occasion...their goalie was a wall

I don't think much will change with the wings...maybe a small trade here and there, but noone critical to our core...

We will definately be contenders for years to come, so I'm not worried like I used to be.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh and I think that the ducks will win in 5 against the sens

Chitaku

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Sens, I think Montreal is the last Canadian tema to win?

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 950
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sad! Don't get Versus, so need not go into the "dropped game" on network. Follow all D teams religiously as best I can. It just wasn't meant to be? It's a game; not life. Regardless of your "seed", regular season performance, a shot of being crowned CHAMPS of whatever sport...Please play for today 100%. The past is history. Next year, let's give 100% as always and see how the cards fall. Congratulations WINGS for keeping all of us excited. Isn't that all you can ask?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9435
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am suprised no one said anything about Hasek and his flopping around like a fish out of water. I counted 2 goals that went in because he was laying on his back (on another goal he ran into the Duck player, what a boob). I am not sure why he was laying down like that because both shots were quite easy to save. But typical Hasek has to be so dramatic in every shot he saves...
Oh well! My Sens are there and I hope they can win the cup.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 608
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be an exciting finals series to watch. If Emery shows up for this series, I think Ottawa will be in good shape. Anaheim has gotten away with winning games they were dominated in for the last two rounds. I will be curious to see if they can do it again.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah dude trade Lidstrom for a goalie. I'm sure Illitch has you in mind for the GM job just as soon as he blows Ken Holland out.

Goat - while I didn't see Hasek's best performance last night, he is the main reason that they were still in the playoffs at this point. He has played his @ss off in the playoffs this year, and no one expected it. Since you are a Sens fan, are you still mad at him for what happened there when he was their goalie? (You have a right to be).

b/t/w - I'm rooting for Ottawa in the finals too. They have been close many times in the last 5-7 years and have been handed some bitter disappointments. Let's hope they go all the way this year. I hate Anaheim or any other team Chris Pronger plays on. He is a dirty player - end of story.

(Message edited by Jfre66_77 on May 23, 2007)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure about the status of Draper or Maltby, but those two guys just aren't doing the job like they used to. Together they made 3.4M + this year--not worth the product we received, outside of the faceoff dot, IMO.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yeah dude trade Lidstrom for a goalie. I'm sure Illitch has you in mind for the GM job just as soon as he blows Ken Holland out"

it takes money to make money, a hot goalie is what wins in the NHL right now, but people will keep drinking the kool aid on Lidstrom, probably the same fans who cheered yesterday when Sheffield hit a foul ball and ran to first. I think I was a little embarrased for some of the fairweather fans and their trophy wives

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having great defensemen makes a good goalie look great. Without Lidstrom, Mike Grier probably scores the wrap around goal in the San Jose series. Beauchemin and Neidermayer saved Gigueres @ss on several occaisions in this last series.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a major question is do we want to bring back Dom for a final season? Listening to him talk last night after the game, he sounded heartbroken by the loss and as if all he wanted was one more chance.

I was against bringing him in this season, but he proved me and all the other haters wrong. I think if he's interested in returning, we should consider it. Otherwise, it might be time to turn over the reigns to the future--JIMMY HOWARD!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 830
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While Hasek did play very well in many previous games, I do agree w/ Goat about last night's game, he seemed totally out of it, was going down way too early, and did not make one clutch save. I hang most of last night's loss on his shoulders. Four goals in a pivotal elimination game is too many.

Surprisingly, the rest of the team was in a funk for the first two periods, and didn't snap out of it until the 5-minute mark of the third period. The way they played the first two periods, I thought it was over at 2-0; they worked hard at getting back into it and making it a game.

Congrats on a fine, yet bittersweet, season.

Baseless prediction: Cheli & Hasek will both not be back next season.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few bounces and breaks but often in a series like this that's the difference. Without Kronwall & Schneider it put too big a load on the rest of the defense. That's 2 of your top 3 on"D". Hasek may not have been great in this last game but he was tough throughout and was big factor in the Wings advance to the conference final.
Another factor could've been the travel-the Wings made two trips to the mountain time zone & four to the Pacific-that has to take a toll. The Ducks were fresher from the second round having only played 5 games & staying within their time zone against Vancouver.
Overall the Wings proved a lot of doubters wrong-they came up short but did show some more character than before. Now it will be interesting to see what happens in the off season.
Hope Ottawa wins it Canada needs a cup winner. Plus it will be nice to see Brian Murray win it it all finally.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 616
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, I agree about the cup returning to Canada. I'm not sure I can take the cup having been in Tampa, Carolina and Anaheim in the last 3 seasons.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Chelios back next year. Chitaku, what are you thinking? Without good D, your goalie gets screwed.

Ottawa in 7. California does not need a cup for at least another 25 years.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we have good young d, I especially like Kronwall although he always seems to be injured, We need a good young goalie and I think Lidstrom is the best we have to offer,

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not mind Tampa since Bill Davidson owns them plus I like Martin St.Louis & Brad Richards. And their captain was Dave Andrechyuk-he was around a long time & a fine player.
As for Chelios I heard on radio he created a bit of stir by not shaking hands after the series ended.

Scs100

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What??? I saw him on CBC go over and shake hands with the coaching staff at the Anaheim bench at the end of the game. That's strange.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 617
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He shook hands with the coaches, but not the players. Cheli is usually a class guy (excluding the 1998 olympics) and I would be curious to hear his explanation for not doing it.

Scs100

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. I missed that part.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.