Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » University of Michigan baseball « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2885
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...just won their NCAA Tournament regional championship, beating Memphis once and then Vanderbilt-- the no. 1 team in the nation-- twice in Nashville.

They will go on to face either Oregon St. or Virginia in the Super Regionals, one step away from the College World Series at Omaha.

The regional action was on Comcast Local (easily missed). I haven't paid attention but I don't think they even got any local newspaper coverage (whereas Vandy was all the rage in Nashville). The rest of the tournament should be on the major networks like ESPN, I believe.

This is the most clutch performance by UM athletics in a while, especially considering the magnitude of the upset (being a northern team beating the best in the country). Basketball has sucked, football has not done anything meaningful/up to standards, and softball and hockey fell short, so this ranks high on UM's achievements.

GO BLUE.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan had to play the #1 ranked team in the country, at their sold out home field, and won with a homer againt the #1 ranked pitcher in the country. Very cool especially for a "cold weather" big ten team.
I was lucky enough to see 3 of the regional games on tv.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw only Sunday night's debacle :-(

That's Michigan's first regional title since Bud Middaugh's teams ran off 4 in 5 years in the early 1980s. Those teams I had the pleasure of watching in person.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2888
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised after I watched UM lose to Ohio State in the Big Ten tournament in Ann Arbor.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2899
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3-game series at Oregon State.

Saturday, 3 PM: ESPNU.
Sunday, 4 PM: ESPN.
Monday, 7 PM: ESPN (or ESPN2).

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 540
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 642
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a Michigan fan...at all. However, I hope they represent the state and the Big Ten Conference well.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2906
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the NCAA made the arbitrary decision to let Corvallis, Oregon host the Super Regional, and they are paying for that. Today's game was rained out.

Game 1 -- Sunday, June 10, 4p.m. PDT (ESPN)
Game 2 -- Monday, June 11, 4 or 7 p.m. PDT (ESPN or ESPN2)
Game 3 (if necessary) -- Tuesday, June 12, Time TBA

Big Blue could have won under a beautiful blue Michigan sky today at Ray Fischer stadium if the NCAA wasn't so stupid.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2915
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope some of you saw it on espn, but in case you didn't, it was a gut-wrenching game with one of the strangest endings ever as Michigan lost game one 1-0.

Starting pitcher Zach Putnam carried a no-hitter for 26 outs and 2 strikes but gave up a ground-ball single through the gap to score a runner from second who had gotten on by means of a walk. That was it. He no-hit OSU for all but one strike but took a loss. UM scattered some hits but couldn't string anything together against OSU pitchers who were up to the task.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2920
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All over today...too bad.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't feel too bad, Oregon State is the defending national champion who beat Andrew Miller's North Carolina Tar Heels last season. The Oregon State pitcher who beat Miller is also in the Tigers Organization

The midwest just can't compete with the west coast or south in baseball just to make it this far is a great accomplishment.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2923
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beating Vandy did say a lot.

And with the way they lost game 1, I can't feel too bad. They put themselves in a great position.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.