Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Stoney and Wojo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stoney and Wojo suck as bad a s Jamie and Brady! I can barely stand to listen to their regurgetated ramblings...Then when they go off on "other" types of topics it gets worse...

Rome is pretty good but gets old. At least Rome has a personality and provides a fresh look at sporting events/issues.

My new favorite sports talk radio is the 2 live stews am 1200 @ 4:00...these guys have good opinions with a sense of humor. Ryan Stewart also played for the lions so Detroit comes up often. Ryan also provides a uniwue POV of a profesisonal athlete.

Does anyone else like these guys and or hate stoney and wojo?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 977
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that show out, ASAP, and return to this thread with a comment. I could use some fresh voices to listen to, as far as sportstalk radio is concerned. I don't hate Stoney & Wojo, but they have become their own "old bit."

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5381
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, I don't hate Stoney & Wojo at all. They're still somewhat the ol' reliable with some commentary but it never hurts to look around as well either.

As far as Jim Rome goes, now that's one ancient schtick. I can't stand the fact that he has horrid interview skills even though he has access to some great sports personalities. It's almost as if he has a list of scripted questions to ask and never really follows up on an answer. It's not really a fan friendly show either unless you're one of his clones. And why would I want to call into radio show to ramble on like the host? Yes, Jim Rome does have interesting points of view but he hardly let's anyone on to challenge them or offer a counter point. Let's hear from as many intelligent listeners as possible and not a sports sermon. To me, Jim Rome has become the Rush Limbaugh of sports talk radio. Hear me rant and never a disparaging word against me shall be aired on my show.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While i was living out East Mike and the Mad Dog had a great sports show. Mike Francesa and Chris Russo are smart and ask interesting questions...THey both love baseball and have great respect for its history. Has anyone ever listen to their show?

Ravine
As far as the 2 live stews give it a few shows...it takes time to appreciate their style. I didn't like them at first but their humor grew on me.

Ravine

Post Number: 980
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defbrook, I'll do it. Frankly, if their humor is a bit sideways or otherwise non-obvious, I'll probably take right to it. Monday at 4:00-- if'n I dasn't fergit, I'll be there. Thanks again.

Ravine

Post Number: 981
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, as I so frequently do, I completely agree with most of Smogboy's assessment of the Boundlessly Tiresome Jim Rome and his Celebration of Narcissism, er, ah, I mean, radio show, that is. What a fuckin' windbag. However, I don't happen to think that his interviewing skills are quite so bad as my Smoggociate suggests.

Ravine

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defbrook, I checked out that show, but I didn't care for it. A major part of my problem with sportstalk radio is that I find it wearisome, when the hosts try so hard to be funny, and I really don't particularly WANT them to be funny, but that's pretty much MY problem, because sports is not a life-and-death issue, so a little levity is appropriate, and it's nobody's fault that I A) feel the way I do about it, and B) usually am not amused by people who are trying to be funny.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ravine,
I hear you...I think they are a bit entertaining...I can easily see how people would be turned off be these two.

It sounds like you would love Mike and the Mad Dog...google search them and see if you can listen on line. They are great with no bells and whistles.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 727
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S&W have been doing the same tired old bits for years. Their show has become very monotonous.

One of the problems I have with sport talk radio is that it seems like they get the same callers calling in. Anyone who has listen to either of the sports stations talk about the Pistons is familiar with caller Marcus. They should just give that guy his own show. I think they really need to have a once a week call limit to add some variety and different opinions to avoid becoming even more stale.

In my opinion Pat Caputo is the best.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5396
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that Stoney & Wojo have been their own tired bit for awhile but I think that's true with any form of entertainment. You hear them, see them and have grown almost too accustomed to them. And while the topics might change from day to day (or as with sports talk radio- teams and their seasons), it's still relatively the same schtick somewhat. To their credit, Stoney & Wojo at least have the "old bit whistle" to which they have no problem blowing it upon themselves from time to time.

I'm not sure what the solution is to these guys, even if there's a problem with them. It's not like they're the talking heads on broadcast news where all they do is report the news. These guys, and like so many other sports talk guys not only have to report the breaking sports news, but are also asked to have a viewpoint, some insight on it and deliver it with some form of entertainment.

Personally what I like is when they have interesting people to interview on the air. Whether (insert Wojo "WEATHER!" yell here) it's Ken Holland, Joe D, Dave Dombrowski or Matt Millen- I love hearing the GMs talk about their teams. I like it when Stoney & Wojo can have some insight with these guys and are asking the questions that we as fans would like answers to. Bringing in insiders like Kevin Allen and Tom Kowalski helps because they're on the pulse of their specialized sports.

Part of what makes their show difficult is at what point does it become informational (breaking sports news, debating trades, post game analysis, etc.) to entertainment (the Pyramid scheme, People are Stoopid, the tournaments, etc.).

Like I said, I'm okay with Stoney & Wojo. It's no longer groundbreaking like it once was. I have an idea of what to expect now and I'm okay with that. It's like they've become close friends over the years and I can relate to them. They were easy to take early on and have remained so (unlike my disdain for Jim Rome that set in on Day 1 and I haven't been able to stomach him since).

Ravine

Post Number: 993
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with ya, Smoggenboychen. That's one high card that comes with being a fairly high-profile show: They can get a 5-10 minute phone interview with guys like DD or the players.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5405
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm...the Pat Caputo syndrome. I think he's gifted as a writer and most definitely has his opinions but as a radio guy, I sometimes wonder if he's just too ascerbic. Does he play well with others? I've never heard him paired with anyone that he plays off of well.

Caputo just might be better suited doing a solo show. And beyond baseball (he's got some decent insights there I think) & sometimes football, is he that knowledgable on things like basketball & hockey?

And on the entertainment side of sports talk radio, I just don't find him that entertaining. He's akin to that gruff uncle with the six o'clock shadow that comes over smelling of day old cigarettes & beer... kinda gruff & awkward to get to know.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat Caputo "A GIFTED WRITER"???!!!

HORSEFEATHERS!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5625
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying I agree with Pat Caputo's articles on a regular basis but he is an award winner, a Tigers beat writer and votes regularly for the MLB Hall of Fame. If he wasn't somewhat of a decent writer would he even earned these accolades?

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stoney and Wojo are horrible. Who the hell wants to hear @ Springsteen all day?

I agree with some of the other posts, I like the 2 Live Stews as well. I think my two favorite shows are The Inferno, and The Herd.

Herd's a pompous, egotistical ass, but its an intelligent thought provoking show/

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been loving the Stews of late...funny stuff!!!

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 454
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Stews and The Inferno.

The Big Show is pretty good too.

I also like Petros and Money from 570 KLAC in LA.

They subbed for Rome a few months ago and for some reason I find Petros funny.

It's for everyone but I enjoy it.

I wish Drew Sharp would get his own show too. He always has good opinions.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still listen to Rome, but I prefer the Inferno on 1270.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: