Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Semi-Pro Football in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone heard of the Detroit Seminoles Semi-Pro Football club?

Cub

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Seminoles 57 - Southern Michigan Timberwolves 21

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 789
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the Lions part of that???

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette,

The Lions are amateurs that are paid.

Cub

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WEEK 2:MCFL-MID CONTINENTAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE
DETROIT SEMINOLES 36 - KINGS COMETS(Cinncinati) 6

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5641
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey cub, how about some history or information on these guys as opposed to just scores? For all we know, it's two hand touch, flag football, women's football or pop warner. Some background please!

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, I assure you the Seminoles aren’t some flag football team.

A few years ago, my best friend & I endeavored to see every pro & semi-pro sports team in the State of Michigan. Much to my surprise, I found out there is this thicket of semi-pro football teams across the state, from down in Monroe (Southern Michigan Timberwolves) up to Gladstone in the U.P., although that has likely changed.

They’re not well-publicized, but their fans can be fanatics. I was often stunned to see how many fans turned out for the games, & about the only way I could tell which teams were where was by checking out various schedules & making a ton of phone calls to team contacts. I’m happy to say everyone with whom I spoke was friendly & informative. Check out the links below for more info.
http://www.semiprofootball.org /mfl.htm
http://www.mcfl.org/

As for the Seminoles themselves, I don’t recall whether I actually saw them. There were a few teams we did not see, & I’d have to check my notes from when it happened. Their link, however, is below. http://www.detroitseminoles1.c om/NolesProfile2k6.htm

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend and I used to run the chains for the Jackson Bombers some 10+ years ago. Back then the Seminoles were owned/financed by Derrick Coleman so they usually had the best uniforms and best equipment. They also had a few big name ex-collegiate stars playing for them too(I remember Jesse Johnson - UofM early 90's). They usually went through the season blowing out weaker teams only to lose in the playoffs (happened numerous years). They had the worst sportsmanship by far so it was quite the scene when they started losing.

As far as league popularity, several of the big games drew 3,000-5,000 people back then. Haven't got a clue what the league's like now.

(Message edited by rusty on August 07, 2007)

(Message edited by rusty on August 07, 2007)

Cub

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 National Championships ('02-'03-'05).
151-26-1t Since 1994 (best in the nation).
7-3 in league championships since 1997 (MFL,MSFL,MCFL)Six in a row '98-'03.
2-2 in MCFL Championships 4 straight appearances 4 years in league. MCFL one of the strongest leagues in the country.

Cub

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Derrick Coleman? Where are you getting your info?
Players and coaches have always supported the team by fundraising and dues.

Cub

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sportsmanship? What are you talking about? Examples please.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5653
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo to these people who support these teams. It sounds like a rollicking good time and especially if there are 3-5000 people attending like Rusty says. I love these niche sports as much as the next guy and applaud the athletes who play them; I'm sure they're getting paid next to nothing and play for the love of the game.

My only complaint after looking at the sites supplied is that the team logos aren't exactly the most imaginative.

Rusty

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should re-phrase my previous post......I was told by former players that Derrick Coleman was financially involved with the team back then (around 1994).

This made sense because their jersey's and equipment were clearly superior to other teams in the league. Back then some teams were lucky to have team members wearing matching helmuts and uniforms. Often, you would see old colors (probably from highschool/college days) seeping through the newly spray painted helmuts and thigh pads poking through the pant legs. Some teams were much worse than others but the Seminoles were definitely the most professional/slick looking bunch (basically envision Florida States uni's).

Lastly, as for the crowds, some cities really got into it while others had a hard time. In cities like Jackson where the Bombers were the only game in town, the local newspapers covered the team and fans showed up. As the season progressed in 1995, there were playoff games at Withingon (Jackson High) that drew the 3,000-5,000 fans I mentioned before. In other cities such as Flint and Grand Rapids, the local papers didn't care much about the teams so they were lucky to draw a few hundred fans each game.

You had your really good teams with college level talent and then you had your weaker teams with washed up ex-high schoolers. All in all, a very fun league to watch, especially when the top teams played one another.

I'll chime in with a few "unsportsmanlike" stories in a bit.....the Seminoles definitely had their characters.

(Message edited by rusty on August 08, 2007)

Cub

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every team in every league I have played in has some kind of sportsmanship problems. We the Detroit Seminoles had some instances over the years, as all teams do.

Rusty

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Cub.....but the Seminoles were a little more pro-active in voicing their displeasure (ok, those dudes were nuts!).

Again, I remind you this was 1994 & 95 so I'm sure things have changed but during one game, I had a player grab the First Down STick out of my hand and slam it to the ground when they were flagged for a questionable pass interference (it was pretty funny and somewhat shocking). Now can you imagine what would happen if an NFL player grabbed the stick from the chang gang did that during a game? Then throughout the game, anytime a bad call would come up, the racial stuff really started flying. I'm telling you back then those boys were big and pissed off and no semi-pro/beer league punishment was going to deter them from venting that anger.

Basically a lot of this happened because the team had a few bad character guys (cough, cough Jesse Johnson) who lead the charge for the entire group. They were by far the most talented team in the league and when things were good, not a problem, but when things went sour on the field, put the women and children to bed because the schitt was a flying.

Anway...as I mentioned before, the league was a blast to watch and the top games/teams were very entertaining (yes the Seminoles were my favorite to watch). I'm sure some of the really good players could play for any of the leagues outside of the NFL.

Cub, how long have you played with the team? Who's the top guys on this years squad? I see several big names from UofM, MSU and CMU on the team. Whats the league like now?

Thanks

(Message edited by RUSTY on August 10, 2007)

Cub

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8/11 -Louisville HOME

8/18 -WM Force HOME

8/25 - Detroit Ravens
@ - Det

9/1 - Holiday Bye

9/8 -Clev. Lions HOME

9/15 - E. Vipers
@ - IND

9/22 -F. Fury
@ - Flint

- -
HURLEY STADIUM - BERKLEY, MICHIGAN

HURLEY FIELD is located behind Anderson Middle School,
3205 Catalpa, Berkley, Michigan

BERKLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
ADDRESS: HURLEY FIELD
3205 CATALPA, Berkley, MI - 48072

HURLEY FIELD is approximately 1 1/2 miles west of WOODWARD (M1); 1 1/2 miles north of I-696; 3/4 miles east of GREENFIELD; 1/4 mile west of COOLIDGE and 3/4 miles south of 12 MILE ROAD.

Parking lot entrance to HURLEY FIELD / Anderson Middle School is off OXFORD, one block south of Catalpa (11 1/2 mile road) / two blocks north of 11 Mile Road, between TYLER and GARDNER.

ADMISSION: $5.00 - Advance
$3.00 - Students w/ID
Under 10 - Free

STADIUM DIRECTIONS

From Eastbound I-696 - Exit #14 (COOLIDGE HWY) from I-696 and turn right (north) on COOLIDGE 1 mile to 11 MILE RD - turn left (west) and proceed four blocks west to GARDNER and turn right - proceed two blocks to OXFORD and turn left to parking lot entrance on right.

From Westbound I-696 - Exit #12 (SOUTHFIELD RD / 11 MILE RD) from I-696 and proceed EAST on 11 MILE ROAD approximately 1 3/4 miles east to GARDNER - turn left (north)and proceed two blocks to OXFORD, turn left to parking lot entrance on right.

From GREENFIELD / 11 MILE RD - Drive east on 11 MILE RD approximately 3/4 miles east to GARDNER - turn left (north)and proceed two blocks to OXFORD, turn left to parking lot entrance on right.

From WOODWARD (M1) / 12 MILE RD - Drive west on 12 MILE RD to COOLIDGE and turn left - drive south on COOLIDGE 1/2 mile to CATALPA - turn right and drive approximately west 1/4 mile to Anderson Middle School which is just west of tennis courts - turn left 1st street past the school on TYLER, drive one block south to OXFORD, turn left and entrance to HURLEY FIELD parking lot is on your left.

NOTE: EXTENSIVE 11 MILE RD CONSTRUCTION SET TO BEGIN SPRING 2007 BETWEEN WOODWARD AND GREENFIELD - CONSTRUCTION SCHEDULE WILL BE PUBLISHED ONCE FINALIZED. PLEASE AVOID 11 MILE RD AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

Cub

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started playing in 1996. Jesse and I rode to games and practice together. We became good friends. I can't believe he was a ring leader.LOL. When I started we were in the MFL. Now we are in the MCFL where none of that will be tolerated. Robert Hunt,Roy Grainger,Arron Brothers,Carl Reaves just to name a few are players that Detroit Lions should pick up LOL.

Cub

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Seminoles #9 In The Nation

National Football Events' Coaches Poll
National Rankings - August 9, 2007

This Week Last Week Team League Record
1 -- So. Jersey Lynx The Other League 7-0
2 -- Kane Co (IL) Eagles The Other League 4-0
3 -- King County (WA) Jaguars Northwest 8-0
4 -- Central PA Piranha The Other League 6-0
5 -- Pittsburgh (PA) Colts The Other League 8-0
6 -- N.E. Missouri Wildcats MLFA 10-0
7 -- Boston (MA) Pathers The Other League 7-0
8 -- Dallas (TX) Diesel The Other League 5-0
*9 -- Detroit (MI) Seminoles MCFL 4-0*
10 -- Dakota (SD) Lawdawgs The Other League 8-0
11 -- Vermont Ice Storm Empire 7-0
12 -- Virginia Ravens Mason Dixon 4-0
13 -- Connecticut Giants Eastern Alliance 3-0
14 -- Chicago (IL) Thunder Mid States 3-0
15 -- Hardin Co. (KY) Wolverines MCFL 5-0
16 -- San Diego Thunder Southwest 5-0
17 -- Prince WM (VA) Monarchs Regional 5-0
18 -- Detroit (MI) Black Ravens MCFL 4-0
19 -- Central NY Express NY-AFL 4-0
20 -- Austin (TX) Gamebreakers The Other League 5-0
21 -- Middleboro (MA) Cobras New England 4-0
22 -- Twin Cities (MN) Lumberjacks Mid America 5-0
23 -- Asheville (NC) Grizzlies The Other League 4-0
24 -- NY Prediators Regional 5-0
25 -- Iredell (NC) Warriors Central Carolina 3-0
26 -- Carolina (NC) Eagles Central Carolina 4-0
27 -- New Jersey Wolves Garden State 5-1
28 -- West Michigan Force MCFL 5-1
29 -- Brooklyn (NY) Mariners Garden State 3-1
30 -- Lima (OH) Warriors USFA 10-0

Cub

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Seminoles 54 - Louisville Bulls 0
Bulls ranked #11 in midwest AAA poll. Seminoles #5

Cub

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 4 MCFL Game

West Michigan Force @ Detroit Seminoles

This has to be the game of the week. 2 of the big 3 battling it out. This is the start of a incredibly tough 3 game stretch for the Seminoles. In order, they have the Force, Detroit Ravens and Cleveland Lions. Fortunately all 3 games are at home (technically the Ravens are hosting but its still Detroit). The game is just as critical for the Force. A loss would virtually eliminate any chance at the top playoff seed as they would be two games behind the leaders and both the Sems and Lions would have the head to head tie breaker

Cub

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday, August 18th starting at 4PM (Second game at 7PM) - Through the collaborative efforts of the Michigan Gators and Detroit Seminoles organization - Hurley Stadium will present a PRIME TIME DOUBLEHEADER for the semi-pro fans of Michigan.

At 4PM: The evening will kickoff with exciting Great Lakes Football League action. As the Michigan Gators take on the Belleville Giants.

http://www.michigangators.net
http://www.detroitseminoles1.c om/GATORPromo3.htm

At 7PM: The BIG GAME kicks off with the defending 06 MCFL Champion and National Champion - Michigan Force coming to town to take on the MIGHTY Detroit Seminoles (previous year MCFL Champion and USA National Champion).

Seminoles GAME PROMO:
http://www.detroitseminoles1.c om/GamePromo3.htm

See earlier post for directions.

Cub

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Seminoles 36 - West Michigan Force 16

Cub

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT SEMINOLES 38, WEST MICHIGAN FORCE 16 (at Hurley Field, Berkley, Mich.)
The Seminoles scored the final 28 points of the game to remain unbeaten and gain a measure of revenge for last year’s championship game loss to the Force. West Michigan took a 16-10 lead when Ryan Williams ran 62 yards for a touchdown on the Force’s third play of the second half. Detroit responded with scores on each of its next two drives, both culminating in Robert Hunt touchdown passes. The Seminoles used turnovers to add its final 14 points in the fourth quarter. Joe Chatman forced a fumble mid-way through the final quarter that led to Hunt’s fourth touchdown pass, a 16-yard strike to Roy Granger, on the next play. Detroit’s next drive ended in a punt, but Devon Clark picked up a fumble on the return and brought it back to the end zone to put Detroit ahead 38-16. Playing with backup quarterback Ryan Bowling, West Michigan was held to 41 passing yards, losing 27 yards on four sacks. Robert Hunt finished with 256 yards, completing 14 of 26 passes for the Seminoles.

Cub

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Seminoles 23 @ Detroit Black Ravens 28
Noles lose first game of season.

Cub

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Seminoles 28 - Cleveland Lions 14

Cub

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Seminoles Defeat The Indiana Mustangs 35 - 21 in the First Round of the MCFL Playoffs.

Cub

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Seminoles 48 - West Michigan Force 29
Noles in MCFL Championship Game for fifth straight year.

Cub

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Seminoles lose to Detroit Ravens again 36-21 in MCFL Championship.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.