Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » Maroth traded to the Cards.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6287
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just caught this...

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_sto ry/?ID=211554&hubname=

Unknown who's coming back...

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He started last year so well before the arm problem. He seems to have bad luck.
WIsh him the best

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3917
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad. He was a nice guy who knows how to pitch but the numbers didn't add up for him. The article says it was Rogers coming back, but the real story is that Andrew Miller is the reason for his trade. That newbie is, IMO, the genuine item. What a luxury to be able to trade a left handed pitcher of Maroth's quality for a player to be named later.

If I had my druthers, I would like to see Maroth stay on as set-up pitcher and fill-in starter. If he could wrap his ego around that, he would be a great pitcher.

Good luck to a great guy.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5509
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, I'm not one to disagree with you much here at all but I'm not sure if it was an ego thing for Mike Maroth. He had a stint in the bullpen last year coming back from re-hab and never really got on track with that. He also struck me as a guy who would've played wherever the Tigers needed him (he even pinch hit last week!). He was a consumate clubhouse sort of guy. It was just a numbers thing where the talent above him was that much better. Our Tigers have finally got a glut of good solid talented pitchers now. With the likes of Verlander, Bonderman, and Rogers as your solid starters and Robertson, Miller, Durbin and even a Zach Miner vying to being your fourth starter- it was literally a game of musical chairs for the pitching rotation.

Dave Dombrowski not only praised Mike Maroth on the day of the trade but he also mentioned his family as well so it only shows all of us what a nice guy Maroth was. He was class and he also had some decent trade value.

He'll leave our organization to go to another class organization and be able to lend a helping hand immediately. I'm willing to bet that when we play the Cards again (either World Series or some other interleague play) and Mike Maroth is pitching back at Comerica Park, he'll get a nice round of applause from the Tigers fans in appreciation for the effort he put in here as a player.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moving Maroth to a team that will use him as a starter right away was, for lack of a better term, a humane outcome.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 533
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maroth was definitely a class act, on and off the field. Best of luck to him.

On his blog, he wrote a 'thank you' note to tigers fans: http://www.marothbaseball.com/ blog.asp

Smogboy

Post Number: 5517
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a bad writer either! I wish we could've posted our thoughts to him on his blog as well. Maybe if someone knows him well enough, they could send him a link to DetroitYes and he can still keep tabs on our fair city.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 420
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He'll be starting tonight vs. the Mets.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 746
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Game is on ESPN2.

(Message edited by rjk on June 25, 2007)

Smogboy

Post Number: 5523
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to admit it but I think I'm at least going to watch the first few innings to cheer the guy on.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Maroth's line tonight? 7.1 IP, 2H, 1 ER, 4 K's. He also had 1 hit tonight as well...nice to see perform well in his debut. I'm sure he won a lot of teammates over.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3919
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is definitely a better fit in the NL, because he can hit. Great to see he had a great outing.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5525
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer deal that I couldn't see it on ESPN2 (they decided to air poker) but I'm glad to hear Mike Maroth do well.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The game result represents a strange reversal of the Cardinals' 2007 M.O., as the starter pitches well and the bullpen blows it. Maybe it's a virus, after all.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5528
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For as well as he did, I was actually disappointed to find out he didn't even get the decision! GRRRR! There needs to be a stat for pitchers who do just that beyond just having their ERAs lowered & the strikeout numbers rise.

Hey, if they can start counting Holds for short relievers now, someone in the baseball elite should be able to come up with a stat for the "I kicked ass only to have someone else blow it" category.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Smogboy, we do have the Quality Start stat. It's a good stat to look at, and Maroth's performance yesterday qualifies as one.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have an email that he can be reached at?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.