Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » NHL Trade Rumors « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we can rule out Vesa Toskala or Tomas Vokoun coming here. Vokoun went to the Predators and Toskala went to the Leafs. Any bets for goaltenders/other players?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5495
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Hasek about to re-up and Ozzie still having another year on his contract... No, I don't see Kenny Holland shopping for help in the nets just yet. Now I've read the rumor that Ryan Smyth might be interested in coming here but then his price could be pretty steep as well. I think Kenny's number one priority is to keep Schneider here somehow.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5503
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around the water cooler, there was talk about Sergei Fedorov possibly coming back here. Any thoughts on it?

I'm torn because I know how amazingly talented he WAS and yet he never seemed to have the grit & determination to fuel that ability night in and night out. His captain- Steve Yzerman was probably less talented but no one ever doubted his work ethic or resolve on the ice. Has Sergei developed a work ethic since leaving Detroit? Have his skills declined that radically? Would the JLA fans still boo him?

Again, I'm torn even if we were to get him back for a shovel full of zamboni ice.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think he has much left in the tank. We need young hungry talented players.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lang will not be offered a new contract.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5510
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that was a given already.

Lang's popularity and effectiveness during the Playoffs dropped faster than a bikini top at the Jobbie Nooner. Outside of that one tying goal in the second round, he wasn't exactly a force on the ice.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 653
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy Howard is the future of this franchise. I don't think there is any discussion necessary about picking up a "big name goalie" anytime soon.

The trend of signing the hot goalie is no longer feasible because the Red Wings have too many key players under heavy contracts as it is. We need to bring a young guy (Howard) up through the system.

I've seen Howard live many times and followed him for several years...I would put the future of my franchise in him, if I had to choose any young goalie not already in the show.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5560
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good bye Schneider. Hello Rafalski.

Schneider went to Anaheim for a two year deal and we just latched onto Raflaski for a five year commitment.

What next??

Detroitstar

Post Number: 670
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Rafalski. I think he will be a good fit and will add veteran depth to the blueline, which will be needed with the young core.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5561
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither Schneider or Rafalski are known for their defensive prowess and were more known for their handling of the power play. It's nearly a wash for the deal.

I'm happy for Schneider though on a personal level though. He gets to be closer to his home and he's making some serious jungle now because of some stellar years here. He played well here and that counts for something.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rafalski is younger, and he is a local guy. Schneider was a great asset to the wings while he was here.
In terms of impact, Smogboy is right, it's about a wash. Raflaski had over 50 points last season in New Jersey where there is not a lot of offense. He doesn't have Schneider's cannon shot though.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bertuzzi goes to anaheim with schnider...f for the offseason so far for the wings

Smogboy

Post Number: 5569
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calder to the Kings as well.

I'm not sure fi Kenny Holland wants the dust to settle first. Philadelphia in all of their infinite wisdom (insert sarcasm buzzer here) has jumped out of the gate like reckless buffoons like they always are and have started signing people with big contracts... and I think that's where wiser GMs can sit back and wait it out a bit. Do the Red Wings want to end up with a Yashin-esque deal where the player tanks and we still end up paying him for what seems like forever?

I believe there will still be plenty of NHL movement but nothing as insane as some of the blockbuster stuff that's happened within the last 48 hours- and that's not to say that there still won't be big name players being shuffled around either, but I think it'll be on a much more reserved one-on-one trade sort of negotiating.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way free agency is setting up at this point, teams are going to run out of cap room very quickly. That means that the prices for the few big name guys that are still out there is going to go way down.

we are also set up well to make a strong move at the trade deadline when teams will want to be dumping salaries. If we have the cap room at that point, you can bet that Kenny will bring in more than just a couple role players.

Nobody expected us to compete last year, yet Ken Holland put together a squad that was the best in the west. I trust him completely.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5583
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bertuzzi for two years and $8 million still seems completely ridiculous. Not that I blame Todd Bertuzzi one bit- that's GREAT money but for Anaheim to toss that much out there is a bit over the top. At best I thought Bert would get a one year deal and $3.5 million at best- and it'd best be incentive based. Coming back from a back injury is always going to scare me.

Scs100

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we got Drake.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/ news/story?id=2930478

Detroitstar

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is a good veteran pick up for a good price. He should add some toughness and depth to the 3rd line.

I think we should still be patient about picking up a top 6 forward. The prices will drop on the few remaining big names in the next couple weeks.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see Drake got picked up...I didn't care where he went. Talk about a kick in the nuts; one minute you're captain, next minute you're on waivers!!! He's one of those guys who is not real talented (in terms of the NHL), but he's one I've always rooted for, like Shjon Podein.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 733
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I expect Detroit to make a move for a big money defenseman at some point during the season. I've got my hopes on one of my favorite players--Sheldon Souray!

Scs100

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Souray's taking forever to get off of the market, it may happen. Imagine these parings:

Lidstrom-Lilja
Rafalski-Souray
Chelios-Lebda

That would be interesting. Is Markov back next year?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 739
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Souray signed with Edmonton.

Scs100

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dammit.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 740
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He'll be available as soon as they fall to their normal 7-10 spot in the conference and realize that they cannot afford him.

That is why I think Ken Holland has played this very well. We are in a great position to pick up AT LEAST one big name guy at the deadline wihtout hurting our cap situation.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.