Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » '07 Tigers need a nickname « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Murder's Row" might fit but the 1927 Yanks have it (Ruth, Gehrig, etc.) plus Detroit doesn't want a nick with "Murder's" in it.

How about "Motown Mashers"?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5506
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Al Ackerman when you need him?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3916
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No ideas for this question but the other day, I thought of a nickname for Curtis Granderson... "Trip" Granderson, as in he triples so much and, well, he is a total trip to watch. He is a five tool player. Sure, he still has to figure out left handed pitchers cut down on K's, but is a smart and will.

Granderson is the engine of the future along with Bonderman, Verlander,Zumaya, Miller and, yes, Infante. The future looks bright. Eh?

Smogboy

Post Number: 5508
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the looks of things, Granderson will eventually move to left field. Maybin's probably going to take over his position in center and nudge Granderson over to left with the like of Magglio, Sheffield or whatever power hitter taking over in right.

'Tis a VERY bright future for us indeed!

Emu_steve

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may sound strange and heresy, but the Tigs aren't really built for CoPa.

A 'true' CoPa team would have as Smogboy indicates Granderson in LF, Maybin (CF), another speedster, maybe Gorkys Herandez (RF).

And more 'small ball' type play.

One would expect a CoPa team to have super speed in the OF, runners who can steal bases, great pitching, etc. etc.

The current team is built for say the Phillies park with great power.

Having said all of that, I have no problem with a team with Maggs, Sheff, etc. ;-) Who doesn't like all that power.

I like see the long ball either going out of the park or into the gaps for doubles or a 'Trip' Triple.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 356
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dombrowski has done a great job in all 4 (!) areas. This organization is hitting on ALL cyclinders:

1). Draft - Verlander, Maybin, Miller, Porcello, etc. at the top of the draft.

2). Free Agents - Maggs, Pudge, Rogers, etc.

3). Trades - Sheff, Polanco, Guillen, etc.

4). Prospects from way south of the border - those kids who aren't eligible for the MLB draft. De La Cruz, Gorkeys Hernandez, etc. are examples.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3920
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not forget Fernando Vina and Troy Percival. :-)

Nobody bats a thousand in this game, but he is hitting better than anybody right now.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5524
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to think that Vina & Percival can be slightly forgiven because they fell to the injury bug. Can Dombrowski really be faulted for those moves? I guess you can technically blame him if he knew he was getting injured guys but at the time, both passed physicals and were good to start.

I was more disappointed with the likes of Jose Mesa who was eventually cut from the team. $2.5 million squandered.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.