Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » All Star Game in SF « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was my imagination, or maybe it was a lack of FOX microphones in the stands, but that San Fran crowd seemed to be totally out of the game. Their enthusiasm was underwhelming.

On the other hand, Californians tend to be oddballs, anyway.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was a boring game

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We almost missed seeing that inside the park home run because they were too busy showing a dog swimming in the water ?!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3223
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say it's pretty standard for an all star game. Enthusiasm and passion lacks because it's hard to choose a side.

I thought it was a good game.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5607
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close game maybe, but I haven't had any reason to watch this any more. And the home field advantage for the World Series is a horrible token trophy to be fought for. But you could tell Leyland was about to blow a gasket soon if the AL lost the lead. I always thought of this game as an exhibition of the best talent- again, an EXHIBITION. The stipulation on snagging a player from every team also hampers the managers from really fielding the best of the sport too (anyone remember ex-Tiger, Mark Redman representing the KC Royals with a +6.00 ERA?).

Even when it was here last year, I couldn't get excited for the game.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing was worse than the NBA game

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 714
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it interesting that people in metro Detroit say they didnt care about the game last night and that they were not going to watch.

We all know the all star game determines home field advantage in the world series. Every serious Detroit Tigers fan should have been tuned in last night with tons of concern for the outcome of the game. sheesh

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd say it's pretty standard for an all star game. Enthusiasm and passion lacks because it's hard to choose a side."
Maybe today but when I saw the 1971 All-Star Game at Tiger Stadium there was a huge buzz in the crowd prior to and during the game. Then again the folks that went were really true baseball fans. Today's huge events are taken over by the leagues that run them & many,many tickets are handed out to bigshots & business types with little interest in the sport. To them it's a corporate outing to pick up swag ang go to free parties. By the way,we ( the crowd ) were purely AL fans & were "homers" for the AL squad. Remember this was before free agency or inter-league play. Back then the rivalry between the NL & AL was huge. The 1960's & early 70's games were often classics.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_w -- In 1971 you could watch about 3 baseball games a week on TV.

The only chance you ever got to see Mays, McCovey, Bench, Rose, Stargell, etc., was an occasional weekend afternoon game.

And the only chance you got to see Reggie, Yaz, Carew, Robinson(s), etc., was when they were in Detroit.

With inter-league and with pretty much every game viewable for a real fan, the game has lost that meaning.

It was electric then. Now it is really unnecessary.

That does not mean that I did not watch every inning (I did), or that I did not watch teh derby (I did), just that it was a better way to pass the time than a law and order rerun.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the on-air folks were told that they would be given twenty bucks for each time they mentioned Barry Bonds. At first, they thought, "Ah, twenty bucks; that ain't much," but after some further consideration, and about as much math as they could handle, they got to thinking, "Hey, twenty bucks ain't much, but if I do it 150 times, dat's three thousand bucks, dere."

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say that this game was also on par with other all star games of the recent past. You may remember the rowdiness of 1971, but what about 2005? It wasn't much different than Tuesday's game. It was pretty quiet in Detroit as well. The homerun derby nearly draws more attention than the game itself, anymore.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5611
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar, since when should an exhibition game count towards determining anything for a world championship? Is there true competition in the All-Star Game? If that were the case, Jim Leyland would've only played the very best of the All Stars and pulled out all the stops to win that game- but if he had done that, the spirit of the exhibition would've been shot and the fans would be screaming up a storm as to why their players that were chosen weren't playing.

The home file advantage should be earned through regular season play and not some arbitrary demonstration/ exhibition of skills. If it hadn't been for the tie during the All Star Game years ago, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The commissioner then caved in to this supposed outcry after the game but during the game, he didn't have the brass ones to alter the rules of the sake of the exhibition.

Again... BAH on the All Star Game and what's at stake by it. If they truly want an All Star Exhibition of skills, then say so- don't mingle home field advantage and a showcase performance together.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 725
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree smogboy. I odnt like the fact that the All Star Game determines home field advantage for the world series. I was just pointing out that as of right now that is how it works. For that single reason, the game should be HUGE to fans of the teams contending for playoff positioning right now.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're both right!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.