Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through July 01, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - Morris Hanzek, Hal Tonkins and Mrs. hester were the gym teachers. Hanzek was encouraged by my father to get into school administration. My dad was an administrator at Wayne Elem. I think he also got Tonkins to look into school Admin, Too.
My parents in the 80's would run into Mrs Playa in Tucson. Are you still in education?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: Thanks for those names...they bring back the memories. Interesting that your dad got Hanzek into administration...I remember well running into him in a meeting in Macomb County...interesting too that Mrs. Playa was in Tucson in the '80's...I ran a search to see if there was anyone by that name in AZ but no luck...she was probably 30 years older than we are...not likely she's still alive.

I did 38 years in education...teacher, principal, a couple central office roles, deputy superintendent in Anchorage, superintendent in three districts (states), three university positions...retired from it in 2000...my last assignment was as superintendent in Huntsville, AL...I was burned out at that point. Recently though the governor asked me to serve as a member of the Arizona Early Childhood Development and Health Board...I'm finding it more fun to be at the policy level instead of day to day development. I do a little international consulting but the Bush administration has killed those opportunities around the world. My last assignment was in Thailand a few years ago...I was constantly asked "What has gone wrong in America?"...basically, the world doesn't want us to work with them any more...they don't trust us...and who can blame them.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby produced many people that went on to have great careers...Goblue yours seems like such a wonderful journey....My class was tied to the past and confronting the future of Denby....Had great memories, and wonderful teachers.

Eastside61

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - Interesting journey for you. I taught at SE -Biology (after grad from MSU '65) for about 6 years and then headed to San Francisco Bay area. I have been a sch. counselor, psychologist, Admin of special education programs and currently teaching grad students in special education MA/credential program. Still having fun at it. Still in contact with Tom Tuschak (best man at my wedding) and Jim Osborne (Cass Tech 61).....Oz and I go sailing for a week on the Chesapeake Bay every fall with my brother Bob.

Gibran...You are right! Denby produced a whole crop of great people....when did you grad. from Denby?

Gibran

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1977...taught special education and then started alternative schools, before getting involved in rehab. counseling...I teach at a university now, as well as, own two programs that help people with disabilities return to work...Denby values ....

Goblue

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: Yeah, it was an interesting journey...have to admire your courage to work at S.E. in '65...those were tough years...my in-laws at the time and my grandparents lived on Newport and Lakewood respectively, both just south of Mack...the summer of '67 was bad...we lived in Harper Woods at the time...my then wife was a nurse at Children's Hospital...they met at a central spot and the National Guard took them to the hospital for a little while that summer.

My wife (now) was a special ed. administrator when we met...she works a couple of days a week as a school psychologist at the local district...she got tired of a retirement of playing bridge and going to lunch with her friends...she enjoys being with the kids again.

Wow! Tom Tuschak your best man! Like I said earlier, I was closer to his older sister Sharon...we went together some in H.S. and a little in college...reconnected later in the '80's but by that time we were from two different worlds. Do you know...is their mother still alive?

I envy your sailing trip...sometimes living in the high desert wears on me a tad...although I have to admit that 300+ days of sun a year ain't all bad...did a lot of sailing on Lake Michigan out of Lake Macatowa (sp?) near Holland in the '80's...I miss it...also had a buddy who was doing live-aboard with his wife on a 44 ft. in Annapolis...sailed the Chesapeake with them several times...they got a divorce...she got the boat, he got the slip! The old gold mine and the shaft story!...that was the end of sailing that area...but I do miss the roll of a deck under my feet...horses are great but its not the same.

Gibran: I agree too...Denby provided a great basic education that was the springboard for some great careers...sounds like several in education...I just wish I had taken better advantage of it...I was more interested in hockey, golf and girls (not necessarily in that order)...I did have, and still am having a great journey...but earlier it all came at a considerable price...that kind of intense career focus often meant that personal relationships were pushed aside...after two divorces I came to understand that...also, some of it happened too early for me...I was too young to understand it all...early on I was reading and believing the press stories...I'm grateful for a second chance now.

Eastside61

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO Blue - Trudy Tuschak is alive and after several years of living with Tom / Judy Tuschak on Bishop between Warren and CPDrive moved to actually live with Sharon T. who I think lives in SC Shores.
Sharon and Tom Harrington were married but divorced now....Tom /Judy Tuschak took two years to sell the Bishop home and now live south of Tampa Bay, Fla. SE rocked in the mid/late 60's - Hung out with Jack Ward and the Petrouleas brothers - Petrouleas lived on Lakewood but off of CP Drive. The US Army used SE as there command post when they were protecting Grosse Pointe.....that fall an automatic machine gun was found in the Library and the apartment building on Goethe across the street from SE had all of its windows blown out.....interesting times.....a lot of fun....to say the least

Gibran - Would like to hear more about your Rehab programs...

Goblue

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: Mrs. Tuschak must be around 90 now...Sharon is my age...she lives north of St. Clair Shores...somewhere up around 17 or 18 Mile (I think)...she was married to Keith Harrington...who is a very successful stock broker in Troy...they divorced around 1980...Tom was his cousin...Tom and I used to run around together...he got shot, and survived, in a holdup on Warren back in the '80's. S.E. sounds like it was one hell of a lot of fun...depending on how you define it...about the time I needed a body guard I knew it was time to retire...a buddy superintendent was murdered in his office by a disgruntled teacher in Chelsea, MI...the business changed from what we knew in the mid-60's.!

Gibran

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue , life affords many chances we just have to open to take them....Eastside61, I run two programs one for people with brain injury and another a vocational program for people with disabilities, where I help them get back to work or to find their first job...It is a challenge but it has it's rewards...keeps me very humble,,,thanks for asking....I grew up on wayburn and knew everyone on my block at one time. These posts are so great , they bring back memories. I split my time between Fayetteville and Tulsa, and today I ran into a priest that spent time in Detroit at my baptismal parish...what a small world.

Goblue

Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran: I was friends with a guy by the name of Milan Mirkovich who lived on Wayburn...can't recall exactly where...I think near Morang...the last I knew he owned a cookie shop in the Ren Cen...the world is awesomely small...read some research once about how small the circles of association are...it was incredible. I agree, these posts are really incredible.

Gibran

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that he was a few years older than me if I have the name right...I thought he married the girl next to him...Candella...blanking at her first...I knew her sister and Tony her brother...lived between Grayton and Britain.

Goblue

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran: Missed the post when you said you graduated in '77...yeah, Milan is my age...grad in '59...he had an older sister...not likely you'd have known them.

Eastside61: Thinking of a few other names from about your class...Angie Fairchild...she had an older sister Sue who was a class ahead ofme...Paula May who played in the band...

Gibran

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that he could be "Mr. Merkovich" son. He was grown when I was younger.... does Sassin, Nuber, Rolens,Hisong ring a bell? I was born in 1959, but Denby was still a great school when I graduated...

Goblue

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran: Sorry, those names don't ring...Milan would have been in his early 30's by the time you started at Denby...no telling where he was living at that time...like I said, I'd heard or read somewhere that he owned a cookie shop in the Ren Cen...Denby will ALWAYS be a great school...with wonderful memories.

Gibran

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I often wondered what it would have been like to return home after college and have neighbors and friends and family all living in the same area...sentimental old fool that I am....

Goblue

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran: That's exactly what my wife did...moved back into her parents home until she married a local...she lived that way until she was 55...she regrets the decision...in her words "It was not a growth experience."...her parents continued to try to control her life, her friends and the people she worked with were people she'd known through high school...new ideas were frowned on...it was a very closed culture...until I arrived in town. That was a small (25,000 people) town in central Indiana...it might be a little different in a city but in truth neighborhoods are just interconnected small towns...I was really surprised when I attended a 25th Denby reunion...virtually everyone there lived within 10 miles of the house in which they grew up...they lived in very small worlds...most hadn't been downtown to the DIA or other locales in years...they tended to agree that it was "too dangerous out there and the people are different"...which is basically what our ancestors said about venturing from the cave. I always liked chosing my family that I loved...instead of being required to be family with people, some of whom I don't care for, simply because DNA is shared. Be glad you're one of the adventurous ones.

Gibran

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks GoBlue...nice insight...

Eastside61

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue & Gibran - The memories are intereting......but leaving Motown and hanging out in the SF bay area has been the best....In fact - where can you live and have NO humidity and NO insects....that alone is worth the move.....but at times it is fun to remember some of it!!!!!!

Salbug00
Username: Salbug00

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom graduated from Denby in 1948. I've been looking for a '48 yearbook for years; hers was lost. Anybody out there have one?

She lived on the corner of Flanders and Park Drive. Went to Gooddale Elementary then Denby. She tells about stopping off at Tim's for ice cream on the way home. And for a big fix, it was always Sander's.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Salbug,

My mom graduated Denby in 1949 (Luise Bisinger). Her sister(Margaret) in 1947. Mom has yearbooks from a couple of years. She is in Florida right now and will be available for comment in a week two.
I will try to remember to ask her if she has a 48 yearbook then.

They lived on Eastburn.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I would be interested in a 47/48 yearbook, too. Could we color copy them? I have access to one.

My mom always talks about her old yearbooks.

Goblue

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: No question that its fun remembering...but you're right...low humidity and no mosquitos is worth a whole lot!!...I miss the lakes at times but the high desert ain't all bad...80 degrees today...talked to one of my kids who is still in Michigan...2 ft. of snow on the ground there...thanks anyway!!

Salbug00
Username: Salbug00

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks,

Thanks! I hope your mom has a '48 she can part with! My mom has mentioned her yearbook many times (and is still sour that it was lost in one of many moves). She was very involved in her HS activities. I almost feel like I was there with her.

Salbug

Eastside61

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the late 50's - Early 60's social scene? Where Monday night everyone headed to the TJ Library or the Wednesday night middle of the week activities at Pippo's or Lombardi's...I guess people did study...most of that group went to college. The social groups called the DAC's, Ensign's, Pyramids or the Tri - Delts, Koquette's and others.....What an Experience!!!!

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad, who graduated from Denby in 1956, remembers Lombardi’s. He even remembers Mr. Lombardi himself. He said he was a short guy who always wore a suit and always said hello. He wasn’t big into social clubs as he was a “hot rodder.” A few of the hot rod clubs he remembers are The Magnetos and The Continentals.

Eastside61

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik - Ask dad if he remembers the GENTS....Lombardi's was on Harper until it move to Warren and Cadieux....in the late 50's

Gibran

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here graduated from denby in the seventies ? or am I the youngster on this post :}

Eastside61

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that Denby and the Tars made it and were not slated to b e closed in 07/08....Joy Jr HS - Mcgregor - Mackenzie and Redford are all movin' on and OUT like the rest of big D.

Hold on Tars!!!!!!!! Get ready to turn out the lights!!!

Gspark
Username: Gspark

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby isn't that where a girl got rapped every five minutes and just a god awful hell pit ?

Mhw
Username: Mhw

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran: I graduated in '77 from Denby.

Gibran

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice ....last great year :}....maybe some of the old timers would disagree... "} but we sure had fun at parking-lot parties with Mr.Demerick supervising...I was a class officer and have many fond memories of a lot of people...how about Kennsington on senior skip day....and the prom...ring a bell?

Mhw

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JS!!! In our year, I was the only white cheerleader on the squad. <hint>. Kensington was awesome, except for the lack of sleep the night before...among other things. Hehehe. Do you know if anyone is planning a 30 year reunion?

Mhw

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did Mike pass away from? I'm really sorry to hear about that. How old were his children?

Gibran

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JF? my yearbook is in another city :}...
Mike had cancer, I heard he fought very courageously, Just like he would anything that came his way. We roomed at NMU together...His kids I believe were in their early teens....but don't quote me. I received word about it from my sister who is still in Michigan. I also heard that they were planning a reunion...but I am refusing to acknowledge it has been 30 years...I remember Sandy and I speaking at graduation about our reunion ....but I must say everyone looked great at the last one (20 years)...I have been away so long and found this site and it has brought out memories....long blurred or surpressed...yes I am JS...I thought Tina was also on the squad...help me out here :}

Gibran

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mhw; Teachers and Coaches: Mr Lewis (like a dad) Mr Mathis like a stern grandpa, I will get out my books not to leave the rest out...Great Economics teacher Mr. Richardson: and Literature (she was so cool) Mr. Demerick VP.... Mr. Lux in English built my love of reading. Mr. Lewis took a slow kid with little running ability... believed in me despite a leg disability and gave me a chance to run track... Mr. Mathis did the same in x-country...great men: I

Mhw

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Serra. I mostly hung out with people from '76 because my boyfriend (later my husband, but not now) Keith Tatarelli graduated that year. I was also a class rep and worked on the committee to find the prom location. Do you remember those people getting stuck in the elevator at prom and missed almost the entire prom? I grew up on Wilshire, near Hayes and Outer Drive. Horrible area now. My old house is still in good condition, though. My grammar school is closed now including the church--St. Juliana. Someone mentioned it in another post---its a bad idea to try to go back. Big disappointment. If you have any way to get information about a reunion, I would appreciate it. I missed the 20 year.

Gibran

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Yes....Mary I definitely remember...even my old memory kicks in every once and while...I sure will...let you know about the reunion...I went home a few years back after mon passed and found it surreal (the nieghborhood)....Remember all the variables we had to find the site and band...:-)...we did pretty good for a group of kids....That whole class was so outstanding and think about it not much drama... nice times. jsassin@uark.edu is my e-mail and I will let you know something if and whenI do...I think Jim longenecker is on the committee...do you still live in the detroit area? Very nice connecting with you...oh St, Juliana had dances and I remember Vito Lafata playing there...and as you may recall i was on wayburn. You will find out on these sites you tend to drift and fondly remember things that we wish we could share with others now.... kit

Mhw

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, John. You have one terrific memory! Unfortunately, I don't. But I do remember Vito really well. That is definitely a name from the past. Wasn't his band named Enigma? Thanks for your email. I'll email you.

Gibran

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back at yah...take care...

Gibran

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Mr. Lewis (track coach) from the 70's...great man...like a second father. I would love to go on record and say thanks...to him and Mr. Mathis...since this is a Denby thread...

Eastside61

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Praise should go out for Ted Meyers and Eddie Rutherford as great teachers of the 60's.....The Lux brother and sister act as teachers were interesting and the Famous Mack Pitt who brought Jerry Lewis to the Denby stage during a special assembly was also interesting...

Gibran

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr Lux thought english and instilled a love of reading.

Goblue

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside 61...was going through some papers the other day...came across my prom picture...the bad news is that I can't remember her name...we only dated for a couple of weeks before the prom and for a couple of weeks after...my recollection is that she was in your class...if I scan it in would you take a look at it to see if you recognize her? thanks

Senior
Username: Senior

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graduated in Jan.1953. Great times for Denby High. At the time, one of the best in everything that High School Offered.

The pool stories are correct, the boys swam naked, the girls had to wear "tank" suits. The great folding wall that divided the pool had gaps around the hinges, and occasionally while "peeking" to check out the girls we'd be surprised by another eye looking back at us.

Denby in the early 50's was a great school, safe environment, great athletic teams, many school activities, and educational activities beyond most peoples needs.

Great memories, great friends, great times. We had our fiftieth reunion in 2003 and I enjoyed visits with many of the attendees, and sadly heard of some of those who have passed away.

Senior

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senior,

You didn't know Luise or Margaret Bisinger, did you?

Senior

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks:

No, their names don't ring a bell. We were on split days during my time at Denby, and the Freshmen weren't in school at the same time as the Upperclassmen. Sorry!

Senior

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for responding anyway, Senior!

Eastside61

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - As a former Tar and as a long time educator that you are - scan the picture and I will give it my best shot.....I am sure she was a Denby "Fox" as we used to say back in the day......

Goblue

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay ES61...knowing that you chased Sandy H. a bunch I know that you know a lot about foxes! Please note how discreetly my hands are placed in this picture! Sure hope you know who she is. I don't look a day older today...and if you believe that we have some lakefront property here in the desert for sale.
January 1959 Prom

Eastside61

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GoBlue....Very foxy if I say so.....but I am on total research mode to determine the true identity....

Goblue

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61...sure hope your research is effective...drives me crazy that I can't remember her name...the way I heard it was if there was anyone around Denby in those years who knew anything at all about foxes it was the Emling brothers!

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! All those great memories of Denby. I lived 2 blocks from the school. My uncle taught biology & math there for years (he still lives in the neighborhood - in his 90's now). My dad was in one of the first classes to graduate from there (before it even had the 3rd floor). We used to hang out there as kids to play at Skinner field and used to go there every weekend for open swimming. Driver's ed - that was a trip. After driving only on Denby's track, I almost panicked the first time I actually got out on the road and I had to drive more than 5 mph (but all the Detroit high schools did it that way back then).
My wife went to a reunion there a few years ago when they tried to attract all the old alumni to actually visit the school. She was disappointed at the turnout, but was thrilled that it gave her the opportunity to explore the school without interruption - so much was the way she remembered it. The school looks great.

Eastside61

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - Diane Newman ??????

Gibran

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would have been great to be able to walk to work or Denby in it's hey day...just attending was great..What years did your uncle teach?

I remember traveling on the roads after Drivers training...my dad said what did they teach you there? I gave him white knuckles he had to turn over the rest of my training to my mom...He did take me to Belle Isle to learn to === park. :0 ...except I had to drive down Jefferson at Rush hour....

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 391
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone here knows John Romine, who graduated from Denby in late 50's or early 60's and then became a teacher at Royal Oak Kimball, please let me know.

Goblue

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61...."Diane Newman" doesn't ring a bell...where did you locate it?

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

demographics

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran, I'm not exactly sure of the years my uncle taught there - but he retired in the 70's sometime and had been there as long as I could remember as a kid, so I'm guessing early to mid-50's to mid 70's.

Goblue

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61...sure hope that you're not having to make a commute into downtown SF today.

Debw858
Username: Debw858

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from Denby in 1976. Still keep in touch with alot of classmates. We had our 30 year reunion last November and it was great seeing everyone. I grew up on Glenwood between Chalmers and Celestine.

Jaj
Username: Jaj

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in the Denby neighborhood (7/Hayes) my sister went ('61).. I chose Cass Tech..
I went to elem. school(Macomb) with the Haislip brothers .. and If I remember corectly, Jerry Lewis's connection was his first wife ...a Denby alum

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Debw858...Kellyroad again. Took swimming lessons, typing, and drivers but went to HS at ND. Also life guarded at Denby's pool (It was cool to open the dividing wall). I had a Detroit New's paper route and picked up the papers at the Celestine/Mapleridge paper station. Many fond memories. My brother and I cruised around the old neighborhood last year....couldn't believe the number of vacant lots along Glenwood near Chalmers.

Jaj

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61... would you remember a very pretty gal named Kaye Roemer (Denby '63)... she's my cousin and now lives in S.F.... also my best friend brother Don Temple he's a MD in Denver

Eastside61

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaj: Kaye went to which grade school? Jaj: Are you a Denby Tar?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65 Memories --

I know John Romine.

Have not spoken to him in about 6-7 years.

He was working on some Charter School proposals at some point.

Believe he was Principal at Bethesda Christian School for a while.

Jaj

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61... Kaye went to Carleton and lived on Nottingham.... her nicname was Angel..
I chose to go to Cass Tech as it was a fantastic school then (and maybe still now??)..Another name just popped into my memory... Danny McBride ... he was the Denby QB probably '61 - '62.. I went to Macomb Elem with him

Jaj

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61... looked back on a previous post and saw the names George Haislip and Richard Easton... I was on the Safety Patrol with them
at Macomb Elem..1956-1957

Eastside61

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaj: At Cass do you remember the Osborne brothers?...they lived next to Ballduck...

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was going to be Denby class of '59 but his parents' house was destroyed for I-94 and they moved.

Classico
Username: Classico

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My aunt graduated from Denby in either 76 or 77. Can't remember which. Marie is her name.

Jaj

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61...no I don't remember that name,but I did know a guy named Don Bendure that lived near Balduck..and a gal named Sandy Hunt who lived on Chandler Pk. Drive.. and by the way I worked for a '61 Denby grad ...at Chrysler..his name was Bill Duerr (lived around Kelly Whittier area then)

Eastside61

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaj - What street did you stay on....what grade school and did you attend Denby?

Jaj

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61... I lived on Maddelein east of Hayes...went to Cass Tech (by choice) and had gone to Goodale and Macomb just before moving to Maddelein (I formerly lived on Hampshire Harper/Dickerson) .. My sister did go to Denby.I did take Drivers Ed.- Summer 1961 at Denby (I remember a Mr Shahady as the instructor)

Eastside61

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaj - George Shahady was also my Drivers Ed. instructor...He was a good friend of my father - They both refereed HS football games in the 50's and 60's.....he took me in the class even though I was only
15 1/2 at the time. Haislip brothers went to MSU but I lost contact with Dick Easton after HS...he was one nice guy...

Eastside61

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO BLUE- Still searching various police photos to determine her name.....ha ha.....I know you walked on the wildside if you were parked many a night at the foot of Alter......

Goblue

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: Naw...never did it before...never did it again...soy innocente!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - remember Denby dances?....Frantic Ernie Durham was once a disk jockey and even Frankie Avalon appeared.....prior to him making it big time......

Goblue

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61: Yup...and Fabian was there one time...girlfriend thought he was wonderful...all of the guys thought he was a wuss that we'd like to get on a hockey rink. Nobody ever heard of dirty dancing!

Eastside61

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - U B right brother....it was Fabian and that he should head over to Heilmann....I was at that dance!!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - when was the last time you played CP GC????? And you are aware of the recent HS golf tourney where the GP North team was robbed while they were playing the front nine along Dickerson...

Goblue

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: I was probably in college the last time I played CPGC so we're talking the real early '60's. Imagine having to pack heat so that you can play a round of golf!! What a great place to be from!! I still remember the first time that Bill Reaume put me in a match...my knees were shaking so bad that I don't even know how I hit the ball...but...nailed a 225 yd. drive right down the middle...the other kid almost fainted...the match was over right there...won it 5 & 4...that was on #10 at CP...I think we were playing S.Eastern that day...and I didn't have to carry a gun! You were a tennis guy weren't you?

Eastside61

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Right about the tennis. Denby was the only HS that had the worst tennis courts at the school. I remember going up against this guy from Mackenzie who had about 5 different rackets and I had my wooden Jack Kramer that my father got for me from Harper Sports......Kicked his ass.....we played some of our home matches at Farwell of all places...and Jack Rice was the coach....kinda...the coach...he would yell out of the PE office window as a coaching strategy....

Goblue

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: I remember Jack Rice...never seemed like the sharpest tack...had him for swim class/PE...seemed to like telling the guys to "skin back" before we could get in the pool...a little weird.

Harper Sports was where my father got me my first baseball glove...when the shop was on Harper near Gratiot...still have the glove. In later years after they moved to near Cadieux I got all of my hockey gear there...along with my varsity jacket...great store.

Goblue

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: Do you remember a Nina Jason who taught 4th grade at Columbus? She was only there for a few years...one of my favorite teachers...wonder whatever happened to her.

Eastside61

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I remember some of the Wacko's like Fruend ( who put distruptive students under her desk while she was sitting at the desk - An interesting positive reinforcement strategy????), Playa, Fredel, Sillman, Patalounas, Stephanie and a guy named Munroe who chased Stephanie around the second floor of the new wing.....and a wacko art teacher who I cannot remember....and I have no recollection of Nina....and a woman named Monson who scared the hell out of me...

Eastside61

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The T racket came from the store near Gratiot....and I remember the newer store...wasn't H Sports owned by the Sepula family and Sandy Sepula went to Denby...I got my D Jacket down at a shop on Gratiot and like McClellan.....after graduation Jim Osborne (good friend) and I traded out jacket letters with each other, so it had the Cass Tech (white one) and he had the Denby gold "D"....why we did that is still a mystery to me.....

Goblue

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: Fruend was a wacko!! I remember the "under the desk" routine...and writing "I will not ______" a thousand times. I remember most of the others you mention too...including Munroe...who also used to spend a hell of a lot of time in our room chatting with Miss Jason...we all figured they had an after school thing going. Don't recall Monson...I remember an art teacher who was an Olympic gold medal speed skater...can't recall her name.

Don't know who owned H Sports...don't recognize that name. You're right though...the jacket didn't come from H Sports...it was from the shop on Gratiot...same place we got our letter sweaters I think...I still have my sweater but the jacket is long gone. I did save the small letter that was on it. My daughter borrowed the sweater for a costume party some years ago...I wasn't certain that I liked the idea but that kid has always owned me.

Not sure why you guys traded jackets...gotta think about that one...but not for too long.

My senior year sometimes girlfriend...later first wife...was from Southeastern...we braided our tassels together and hung them from the rear view mirror of my car...she used to wear my sweater some of the time but never to SE. We'd parted company but she called near the end of our senior year and asked me to take her to her prom...wish we had said goodbye afterward...we'd still be friends exchanging Christmas cards...ah well, wrong roads taken.

Eastside61

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Not to bring up old (maybe painful memories) but I would love to hear about what your first wife had to say about SE in the late 50's - since by the time I arrived there in 65 it had REALLY changed, although Finney had opened and changed the boundaries - My parents went to SE in the early 30's and they lived below Jeff on Lakewood / Marlborough.......which I think there is a HOF thread on this link.....

Goblue

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: The old memories aren't painful...only the post-divorce issues. She (maiden name Violet White) lived on Newport just South of Mack. She enjoyed SE...was the class secretary for her senior year (Jan. '59). She was petite, cute, redhair...it seemed like a good idea at the time...Her father didn't believe in educating girls...he refused to support her to go to college...so she worked at Det. Edison as a secretary until Sept. '59 to earn enough to enroll in the Harper Hosp. nursing program. There was a rivalry between SE and Denby in the '50's and some of the SE assholes thought they could intimidate me at games, etc...a serious mistake...they didn't like the idea of a Denby guy dating one of their women...I guess it was an urban version of tribal warfare...throw a few rocks and steal a few women...but I never felt really threatened...I wasn't certain about going to her prom...I didn't want to get in a brawl in a rented tux...but she assured me that everything would be okay...she was right...no problems. In addition to SE we were the youth leaders at Messiah Lutheran on Lakewood and Kercheval...our families were friends there...we've known each other since we were at least five years old...probably had our diapers changed together in the church nursery.

I have a million memories of the years when she was at Harper Hosp. and I was at WMU. It was a different city in those days...I used to drop her off at her dorm on Brush with the top down on my convertible and jive with the hookers at red lights on my way back up to I-94 to head home. We had a serious and dangerous incident one time when we were parked down on Belle Isle for the submarine races but that was an isolated event.

My mother (maiden name Katherine LaDuke) went to SE through the 10th grade when she dropped out to support her mother and baby sister by working as a secretary at Packard Motor (that would have been in the early 1920's) until she married my dad in 1927...my aunt graduated from SE...she was there in the late 1930's-early '40's...her name was Margaret (Peggy) LaDuke...the family lived below Jeff/Marlborough/Lakeview through those years. Small world...your folks and my aunt likely knew each other.

By 1965 when you got to SE the whole world had changed...and not for the better!! I was in Warren Wds. from '63-'69...left at that point to go to Gull Lake near Kzoo...never looked back.

If you really want to contact my ex...I don't know her email address...although I'm certain that I could get it from my daughter...her name is Violet Murphy...she lives in Kzoo.

Eastside61

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - '65 was interesting times...I actually spent the first 6 mos of my DPS experience at Jackson Jr HS.....I remember I had this wacko (good psych term) kid who kept doing inappropriate things to the female students so I requested psych assistance and they said sure....we will put him on the list.....good!!! He will be evaluated in 2 years....I later saw him in the hallways at SE....I am sure he is a CEO somewhere...I think that You, Kellyroad and myself should author a book about the EASTSIDE.....

Detroitrunaway
Username: Detroitrunaway

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh my goodness! An Edwin Denby discussion. I attended Denby from 88-90...didn't graduate there...but three of my sisters did.

Does Finney High still paint our anchore using their school colors in the beginning of the school year? Ahh...memories...good times.

Senior

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GoBlue:

Harper Sports was owned by Les Seppala. He sponsored my Rec. Softball team in the Warren City League. He was a great guy. Do you remember when Billy Hoeft (ex-Tiger Pitcher) worked there?

Senior (Jan.'53)

Goblue

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: Good God...two years to get a kid a psych eval!! My ex and my sister attended Jackson JH...I was spared because they expanded Columbus to a K-8. I remain in awe of your Jackson & SE experience...I can only assume that you were successful professionally due to your earlier experience as a Mapleridge and Eastwood maurauder...I shudder to think what might have been your career outcome if your older brother and I had not been there to provide proper and gentlemanly modeling...lololol

Senior: I certainly remember Billy Hoeft...I have a collection of about 100 HOF signature balls plus 24 Tiger autographed team balls dating from 1935-1989...did not know that he worked at Harper Sports. My sister was Denby '55...a few years after you.

Eastside61

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I noticed your profile in the local post office. As a great Denby grad you have proven that the work furlough program does work...it makes sense know....you are in Arizona and living in a tented community with a sheriff as the gatekeeper?????Right???

Goblue

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: Absolutely false!! The statue of limitations has run out on the vast majority of my sins!!

Eastside61

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You need to read what they are saying about you on the Heilmann thread.....but you Hayes 7 gang guys are tough!!

Goblue

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES...my suspicion is that those posts are from my ex using an alias!!...35 years have gone by but she remains vindictive.

Eastside61

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES could actually be SE in code!!!!

Gibran

Post Number: 604
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB on Mr. Rice...funny thing having to walk buck naked across the pool...they had to stop (thank g-d)when the pool wall could close all the way...Too much information ....I never understood why the swim suits were placed at the opposite end of the showers....Was Mr. Mathis there with you guys...he was my cross country coach?

Goblue

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gib: Yeah, it was weird. It sounds like you guys had suits...we had to swim naked although the girls told us that they had suits. REAL weird! Don't know the name Mathis...a Coach Green was the track/cc coach when I was there. I had good friends who were runners...golf in the summer and hockey in the winter were my games.

ES: Naw...she doesn't have the horsepower to generate a complex code like reversing letters!

Eastside61

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Your running skills were enhanced in the summer as the Fifth Precinct cruisers (Big 4) were all over Fordham looking for you....If you had 1st period PE and Marty Astorian as your teacher in the winter it was like swimming in the Artic...a wonderful sadistic style he had.....he also following the Jack Rice "Bend Over" exercise as one was entering the pool....why do we remember all that stuff and not a lot of academic excellence stuff.....

Denby from 57 to 61 was one big SOCIAL scene as were were following the style of the class of '59....talk about social....the 59ers had it down pat: Monday night social scene at the TJ Library (that's where GB met his mystery prom date) Wednesday night was Lombardi's or Pippo's and then the weekend one needed to unwind from going to class on thursday, unless you played golf or ran track.....Did we have books????

Karen8824
Username: Karen8824

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gilbran: My sister went to Denby - graduated in 77, Andrea Polakowski.

Goblue

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: It just goes to show...it was the FIFTHTEENTH Precinct...Conner Ave....that patrolled the far eastside...the 5th was down on Mack...and obviously the one that you were more familiar with.

You are right about the social scene though...if in fact we actually had books for damn sure we never carried them...they would have spent their shelf lives in our lockers...until we sold them for beer money at the end of the semester.

I think George on Jerry Seinfeld put it best in one of their episodes...after one of those arctic swims we all looked like frightened turtles.

Eastside61

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Someday i will let you know some of the SE stories and the 5th precinct....here is one....All tchr's had a duty (contractual) so when I arrived there in 65 I had duty the last period of the day....and it was being between the front of the school and the 5th precinct squad car that parked on Fairview...and I was to encourage student to leave the campus and keep the local talent out of the building...SE had all their doors locked at 8:10 every morning so if you were late to school you could only come in through the front entrance....SE students did not like the cops at all!!! and when they made a move towards them they usually ran.....nice!!!

Well it is kinda a Denby story!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: Well...I knew you were familiar with the 5th precinct...some of the cops probably remembered you from earlier days.

I'm still amazed that both you and NS were in the science dept. at SE...and both went on to great careers...Denby folks did well!

Eastside61

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - NS was a big factor in the Faculty BB Game v. the Students who could Dunk from mid court. I used to run the clock for the DPS games at SE and then it was my job to make sure that the ref's got out alive after the varsity game through the crowd... That little gym at SE really rocked especially then the whole crowd was into it shouting "TO THE HOOP"..."TO the HOOP"....or "We Big! We Bad! We Southeastern" would turn a few heads......At Denby I can only remember Howie T. cheering with all the other cheerleaders.....He wouldn't have made it at SE in '65....

Gibran

Post Number: 620
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you image what would be said about swim class now...I just knew never to close my eyes underwater...never knew what you would could greet you if suddenly you opened them...Water dodgeball; yikes a whole new meaning to getting an eye full,...

In the seventies we had the fifth visit our infamous parking lot parties...you know though, many of they wildest ones went on to get great educations...must of done something right...

Goblue

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: NS sure went on to make quite a name for himself at the MSU College of Medicine. Speaking of Denby cheerleaders...do you recall Sandy Reynolds...we were a number for a time...she lived on Farmbrook a little closer to CP Drive and on the other side of the street from the T's. Saw her at our 25th reunion...she looked even better than she did at 17 which was damned good!

The best cheer I ever heard was reported by a friend who had gone to high school in Norfolk, VA...she claimed that it was, "We don't smoke...we don't drink...NORFOLK."

Gib: You're right about the wild ones...ES61 is a perfect example!! Who says that rehabilitation doesn't work!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The best one I EVER heard was a Denby v. Mumford BB game at Mumford. There was a group of MHS fans singing the Shirley Ellis - Name Game song - to the tune of 'BUCK'.....just great. Also I do miss IMSSC council meetings with Mumford and the total FOX Sheila Fishman.....GB you would be proud of Miss Fishman...WOW!!!
GB - No rehab needed for S. Fishman.....

Gibran

Post Number: 629
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raise your --- to the sky Denby tars are passing by, we're the first and your the last everyone else can kiss our---....

that one got us (me) in hot water...(in farmington for a state regional)... I was escorted out of buiding....(as well I should have been)... The funny thing is when they recognized me as the leader of our cheer group; I was visiting with a City Counsel-Person and she was commenting how well I represented the school a week earlier at a city wide effort to keep sports and music alive in the DPS...the look on her face....

Stanley Edwards was representing his school... .he was one of the best high school track stars I have ever seen...

Had to run many laps when my cross-country coach caught up with me...

Eastside61

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Speaking of Tars would you fill in a brief history of NS with the MSU school of Med. You mean he is NOT still at SE!!!!!!

GB - I revisited my '59 YB.....U B right Boy about SR!!! Is her name inscribed on the GB Foot of Lakewood Plague that lists them all that you drove down to the river....?????

Eastside61

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran - In the late '80 this one still ranks at the top - "That's alright - That's OK - they are going to work for US someday"

GB - Since there are NO houses left on Saratoga and Celestine you will have to buy a whole block....what was your address on Fordham - or did you post that the house was part of a Devils Night burning???? Make sure you read all the posts from today!

KR - by chance do you remember a Sal (Sam) DeMercurio who went to ND probably around '59????

Goblue

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I Googled NS...he received a major award from the MSU School of Medicine...as near as I can tell he works/worked at the Garden City Osteopathic Hospital as the VP for Medical Education...he got his doc at WSU in 1972 with a dissertation studying the relationship between cognitive and affective educational objectives at SE...you guys were into heavy stuff back in ancient times.

I would NEVER dishonor SR's reputation...but ah, the memories!!

Our house was the fifth house east of Celestine on the south side of Fordham 14630...the folks moved from there in 1971...when I was in Detroit for my mother's funeral in the 90's my nephew and I drove down the street...he had his 9mm in his shoulder holster..the windows of the house were covered with sheets of plywood but we could see that there was a light on inside...I assume that the neighborhood watch solved the problem of a crack house with a torch...unfortunately the fire also burned down the houses on either side. The Goosens lived on one side and the Cardinalis on the other when we were kids.

Gib: Hell, I was suspended for two days for less than that!! I walked away from a teacher who was chewing my ass with the statement..."I don't need this shit!!" In the 50's they'd have hung you from the flag pole by your heels as an example of what happens to miscreants with a foul mouth in public!! lololol

Jerry Bocci was the track star of my era...he held the Michigan high school record for the mile (around 4.15) and did well at WMU a couple of years ahead of me. I bet that kids today are breaking 4 minutes.

Eastside61

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I have a nephew who is considering WMU......Should he mention you or Don Lazarus ??????

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Eastside, I posted the answer to your query in section 1 of this topic.

Goblue

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Why do I recognize the name Don Lazarus...I know the name but can't make a connection.

Sure...he can mention me although I doubt that anyone there remembers...which is just as well...I was there on faculty from 1990-1995. As far as I know there is only one old buddy...Charles Warfield...who is still there. I took over the Educ. Leadership Dept. as Chair...what a mess!! They actually had open enrollment for the doc program...dissertations were meaningless surveys...forget hypothesis testing...most of the faculty were lazy and routinely put their names on student papers for publication...etc., etc., etc....I did the best I could to get it cleaned up...finished my pension time in Michigan and went back to the world...needless to say I pissed a few people off while I was there. I have real mixed feelings about WMU...the undergrad years ('59-'63) were great...ah, the memories...the doc years ('69-'72) were expanding in terms of experiences and thought...the faculty years ('90-'95) were sadly disappointing. On the whole though I think its a pretty good school. It was 6,000 students when I went there in '59...somewhere around 25,000 now. Pretty campus...Kzoo's a nice town.

Eastside61

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Don L is another '61 grad. Interesting info about NS...and I just kissed Notre Dame de Namur University goodbye last Friday (small catholic univer. here in the bay area that cranked a lot of teachers out) as they decided to go sideways in some weird choices and it was not in the cards for me to battle them - the teaching and students were great and the leadership screwy - kinda like incest at its best was the school motto.....financially I can do better in the actual public school realm consulting, etc.

Thanks for address on Fordham and in fact I was on Fordham today walking with my oldest daughter and her new three week old baby......what a great street and Fordham here has actual houses.....later!!!! "to the hoop" to the hoop"""""

Goblue

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'll bet Don L. was one of the "younger" guys who were regular customers for elevator and hall passes...had a good business in hall passes after liberating a pad full with Coach Reaume's stamp on them.

I have no idea where the name Fordham came from...there must have been someone with that name...interesting that there is one in SF as well as Detroit. I envy you walking with your daughter and grandkids...my daughter and 3 grandkids are in Kzoo...see them about once a year for a few days...son and granddaughter are in Columbus, OH...haven't seen them for a couple years.

I know what you mean about having had enough at ND...by the time I was through I was a piece of burnt toast...doors close and doors open...got a call the other day for a two week consulting gig with State Dept. schools in Mexico for late in October...wife will come with me so we'll do some tourist stuff as well...sounds like you have enough to do to keep you out of the serious trouble. When is your annual sailing trip on the Chesapeake?

Eastside61

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - WE B Sailin' the third week in September!!!! I will mention you to older Bro Robert......If I remember right he also was interested in Sharon T......during his DHS days. Will B on the C in Sept and will bring up the Book deal that you, K-Road, and Gibran have going and see if the other Eastsiders who will be on-board want to contribute their somewhat true stories......Maybe we need to form a Western States Educational Consulting firm......and see if the Kona Public Schools need us for two weeks.....aloha!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Still envious...used to have a friend who lived in Annapolis...sailed the C a few times with them...had the helm and drove the boat over a crab pot one time...can still hear the damn buoy bumping along the hull hoping like hell that it wouldn't snag on the keel or prop...as it was bumping along my buddy asked if I had diving gear with me...great friend!...was real relieved when it popped up off the stern.

Just did a Google...should have remembered Fordham Univ...duh!...didn't know that it is a Jesuit school...leads me to wonder about the religious origins of the name...something sort of just about growing up on such a street!

Eastside61

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Eastwood was probably linked to an insurance company that would extend insurance to anyone who was breathing....or who at least could pay Ghetto rates.......Ah! Yes! Crab pots seem to bob-up and -down from all over the place when one is at the helm...I think we are sailing the eastern side - more than likely St. Michaels and south of there....In Tar news TT e mailed me today telling me that 46 years ago he finally graduated from DENBY....He will be headed to Cooperstown later this summer and his mother arrives in August......(Ramble - ramble) I need to also let you know that a Detroit - Detroit Eastside - Detroit Eastside Denby Area game still survives - Wiffle Ball League with Detroit Eastside rules is being played every Thursday night in my backyard.......Later....

Goblue

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I always wanted to get to Cooperstown...have a collection of HOF autographed balls (100+) plus a couple of dozen Tiger team balls (1935-1989)...harder to get there from out here...one day maybe. Good to hear that Mrs. T is doing well...she was always real nice to all of us...and of course, since I had a thing for her daughter I was always extremely polite. Wiffle ball league with Eastside rules, eh?...before or after martinis?

Thinking about the consulting firm...let's focus on Kauai working with the local diving school...beats the hell out of a week in Managua, Honduras trying to mediate an argument between the U.S. ambassador and the local board president...but that's another story.

Eastside61

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - One island at a time should be our motto of the newly formed "Western Educational Consultants" I see that in the former Denby neighborhood of EEV that guns have been used and people shot....I am waiting by my mail box to receive the July Harper's issue that discusses the "Growing" urban prairie. At least from photos from various satellites that the EASTSIDE is going green.....

Goblue

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You're right, one island at a time...meant to say Nicaragua...Honduras is not bad...the old neighborhood is not a fun place these days...I had heard that deer were moving back into the city in some of the larger tracks of green...not sure how safe they'd be......off to Flagstaff for a meeting...later.

Eastside61

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Looks like a PHOTO summit in Traverse City in August to flash the prom pic to those former MSU and DHS group who will be sharing various cold ones......Maybe they can relieve your stress levels over this photo...Did you have fun on the date? Did you bring her home on time? Did she like the park at the foot of Lakewood? Maybe all DHS reunions should be held at the foot of Lakewood, if the US Army is available like in '67

Goblue

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: A summit in TC in August would be outstanding...except for the traffic jams...haven't been there for a decade but it used to lock up pretty good in the summer...great place!

Had a great time on the prom date...home on time...her daddy was waiting at the door...it was January so the foot of Alter or Lakewood didn't work...no sub races in the winter...we had to settle for Balduck...had doubled with a buddy of mine...Larry Ruppert...a hockey goalie which gives you a sense of the crazy people I ran around with...anyway...we had the backseat.

Future reunions at the river would be apropo...'cept...I think the Marines would be preferable.

Heading to a dinner to hear Prez. Clinton in Phoenix tonight...board meetings the rest of the week in Flagstaff...won a week long condo in Mazatlan next week in a charity auction ...this retirement thing is killin' me!

Eastside61

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - have a great week and look for some TARS in Mazatlan!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Tars are where you find 'em...if we all wore t-shirts like Wolverines do it'd be a lot easier. BTW...I've noted that Spartans rarely advertise...is there a reason for that?

Bill Clinton did a great job...wasn't campaigning...basically talked about sustaining our planet...and how we can't with the directions we're heading. One hell of a bright guy!

Spent some time on the Hopi Nation yesterday...interesting culture...and desperate poverty...I've thought for a long time that rural poverty is worse than urban...more hidden...when its Native poverty its even more hidden...areas on the rez without electricity or water...we're hoping to be able to help them with some early childhood money.

Leave Monday to search for Tars in Mazatlan...who knows, I might find my prom date...and to hopefully brush up on my Spanish.

Eastside61

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Spartans just walk around wearing regular T-shirts and repeat the following - "Thats alright - Thats OK -there going to work for US someday".....Good that you are into the early childhood stuff....and my investigators report that the PD was last seen in La Paz....living and fishing on the beach....but still wearing that white dress.....?????

Goblue

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Hmmmm...I was thinking more a bikini not the white dress...but now that I remember that she is now 63 or so...maybe not! At the time the WHITE dress was quite appropriate. Did T.T. go to MSU also? His sister attended there for about a year I think.

Eastside61

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Shak is an MSU grad - He lived with Jim Beard and Doug Allen his first year at State.....and we should place him in the TARS Hall of Fame Educators section......It takes two votes to get in!!!!

You Vote First!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GE: TT has my vote...but only if its reciprocal...had a USMC father-in-law once...full bird WWII...he said there were Marines and there were guys who never left the Pentagon and didn't know the sound of a live round from a firecracker...he was a great guy...loved him...you and TT were combat educators...by comparison I never left the Pentagon...but I did know a live round when I heard one...knew it was time to retire when I needed a bodyguard.