Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through July 08, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 667
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tense moment

"A tense moment at the Fire Department Exhibition"
Detroit Fire Department, circa 1917.

Mikeg

Post Number: 668
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

torch and gas mask

"Acetylene torch, man with gas mask in window"
Detroit Fire Department Exhibition, circa 1917.
(out of sequence, sorry!)

Mikeg

Post Number: 669
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD Engines Number 18 and 36

"Engines 18 and 36", c. 1917

Men of Engine Companies 18 and 36

"The men of Engine Companies Number 18 and 36", c. 1917

Mikeg

Post Number: 670
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engine 36, June 1, 1917

"DFD Engine 36 and men, June 1, 1917"

Engine 35, Aug. 7, 1917

"The men of DFD Engine 35, Aug. 7, 1917"

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 955
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD: I do have one firebrat, I think, and a few from last year who are still at the school. They are interested in attending a firebrat shindig at the field day, too! Any ideas on firebrat fundraisers to donate to the Fund?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More excellent pics Mikeg.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 216
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, what about along with the DFD firebrat shirts, make up some generic firebrat shirts. That way maybe firebrats from other cities would buy them, especially if they know the money goes toward a donation.

Mikeg, thanks for the pictures! Those are great!

Mikeg

Post Number: 671
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the last photos of the Fire Dept. Exhibition that was held at Ladder # 5 (circa 1917):

DFD firefighters lowering a man down the ladder

"Firefighters lowering a man down the ladder"

DFD Rescue No. 1 demonstrating use of a 'lung motor'

"DFD Rescue No. 1 demonstrating use of a 'lung motor'"

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg: Great photos. First time I have seen them. L.5 Russell and Erskine is now a Thi resturant that moved from Layffayet park. I don'tknow why the Department gave Engine designations to the Packard Squads.Around 1917 Engine Cos.30,34,36 and 40 were reorganized as Flying Squadrons. One of the Packards was in the barn behind E.18. It has since gone to the Packard museum in Ohio.Amazed me how that little car managed to move with all those huge firemen packed in back end. Detroitteacher great idea for a fund raiser. T-shirts always are popular.

Dfd

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some interesting trivia from the old days.

http://firefighterwayne.blogsp ot.com/

Mikeg

Post Number: 672
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From that firefighter blog:
DO YOU KNOW - UPON RETURNING FROM A RUN THE HARNESS HAD TO BE SOAPED AND RINSED BEFORE BEING SUSPENDED FROM THE CEILING

Here is the steamer at Engine 9, with harness suspended and at the ready:

steamer, Engine 9

Here is a portrait of the men of Engine 9, circa 1917.

Engine 9 men, c. 1917

Finally, here is a photo of the DFD Superintendant of Horses (name not recorded) along with one of his charges, also c. 1917:

DFD Supt. of Horses, c. 1917

(Message edited by Mikeg on March 10, 2007)

Mikeg

Post Number: 673
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an interior shot of Engine 1, again circa 1917. The men were not identified.

Engine 1

Mikeg

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Planting potatoes at DFD Engine 41, c. 1917.

Planting potatoes at DFD Engine 41

Mikeg

Post Number: 675
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two photos of Engine 39's dormitory:

Engine 39 dorm - a

Engine 39 dorm - b

Mikeg

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two "throw-away" photos taken at an unidentified DFD fire station.

Mugging for the camera.

smiles

I would be willing to bet that the backside on the right belongs to Louis Schicker, who has tripped the shutter timer and is rushing to get included in the photo.

hurry

Mikeg

Post Number: 677
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These four photos are the last ones from Louis Schicker's photo album. Even though none of them had a caption, I wanted to include them here for you all to see and possibly identify.

A

A

B (identified by MikeM as being Engine 39 at the corner of Taylor and Byron - thanks, MikeM!)

B

C

C

D

D

Mikeg

Post Number: 678
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I overlooked one last unidentified photo, possibly the same subject as photo C above:
E

E

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3174
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice collection! That last unidentified station (B) was Engine 39 at the corner of Taylor and Byron. It was demolished sometime in the past decade.

(Message edited by MikeM on March 10, 2007)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 956
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: DO YOU KNOW - UPON RETURNING FROM A RUN THE HARNESS HAD TO BE SOAPED AND RINSED BEFORE BEING SUSPENDED FROM THE CEILING

Just like trucks have to be cleaned and checked after a run today :-)

While working at Greenfield Village with the horses, I can assure you that you don't want to leave harness cleaning until one lazy day. It takes HOURS to clean a dirty harness (it has to be done piece by piece to get hair and muck out of the crevices). By the looks of that setup, I wouldn't want to be the schmuck stuck with the long term cleaning. Better to clean it after every run and avoid the waxy buildup then have to assemble the harness again.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher : Call the Fund office ( 313 )961-2988 tomorrow morning between 08:00 and 09:00.
Ask for Lt. John Cowan. He is in charge of the Field Day. Be sure to let him know that you are the daughter of a Detroit Firefighter and Fund member. TONY

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 957
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony: I am teaching between 8-9 but will try our next day off.

Dfd

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, We talked to a Cincinnati firebrat today. Her father passed away about 10 years ago. She was telling us about when she was little and got up to go to school, she had to tip toe around the house if her dad had just gotten off duty and had gone to bed. She could tell by the smell of his clothes what kind of fire he had been to(synthetics or wood etc.). She could also tell when a child had been involved because he wouldn't let her out of his sight the next day. This all probably sounds familiar doesn't it?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 959
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure does, except dad never did go to sleep when he got home. Usually went to a 2nd job or was working on our house, building a garage (that project took a looong time to finish), or helping out another FF with HIS odd job around the house.

I could always tell when dad was home, just by waking up and sniffing. The smell of a freshly put out fire is my comfort smell. It told me dad was home safe. I got pretty good at telling what kind of fire was burning if something was on fire and the last fire he had been to, just by the smell of his turnout gear. Ah, the memories!

Dfd

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trivia question: Where is the oldest "In Service" firehouse in Michigan. Hopefully my information (answer)is correct.
Lowell, thanks for featuring this thread!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know about Michigan, but in Detroit I think it is Ladder 10 with a year of about 1893?

Dfd

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's the answer I have too. 3812 Mt. Elliott. A fireman at the 23s was telling me about it. I threw in the Michigan part to make it more of a challenge. lol. Oh well, It's an interesting building to tour, the attic is larger that my house. And the gargoyles have light up eyes. cool

Dfd

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't a Detroit firehouse, but it's interesting in design. It's in Cincinnati. Built in 1893 I think.

Dfd

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bought a picture today!

22s

Dfd

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is Engine 6 (50s or 60s ?).

Engine 6

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd : That is a photo of E.6's 1960 F.W.D.
A huge rig it dwarfed the Seagraves.
First and only four wheel drive
vehicle in the D.F.D. fleet.
The photo is taken in front of the
D.F.D. shop on Russell next to E.6'S
quarters.

Dfd

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice! Which ladder co. was in with eng.6?

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd : E.6 and L.5 ran together. Originally
E.6 was at Hastings and Vernor.L.5
was at Russell and Erskine. The shops
were behind L.5. In 1956 the Department
built new and larger shops. A four bay
station was built on the Russell and
Wilkens side. The shops are behind on
Rivard and Wilkens side. E.6 L.5 Sq.2
and Ch.3 ran there.E.6 and L.5 are out
of service. The shops still occupy the
rear. The station is occupied by L.1,
two Haz. Mat. rigs, Decon trailer and
two E.M.S. units. L.5 quarters and the
old shops have been remodeled and
occupied by retail.

Dfd

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why didn't they want any more of the 4 wheel drive rigs? It's an ineresting design, it looks like the FFs rode inside.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opened the vault. Took out Matt Lee's book, D.F.D. Apparatus History.Matt reports the F.W.D.
was the first rig purchased from someone other
than Seagrave since 1931. I remember the rig.
A reliable pumper. Hard to drive and steer. My
guess as to why it was a one and only. Detroit
ran with enclosed rigs.Everyone was supposed to ride inside.Matt also identifies the Truck photo
you posted. It is a 1952 Seagrave 70th.anniversary
assigned to L.Co.22( Martin and McGraw ).

Dfd

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the last of 3 pictures I bought.
Ladder 6

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1955 Seagrave 100' Tiller.Don't know the
location of the fire. Do you know whose
photos you purchased ? If it is from
a person or collection I know, I could
find out. Keep 'em comming.Try to stump me.

Dfd

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought these at the truck show in Louisville KY a couple of weeks ago. I dont know the dealer. "Keep 'em comming.Try to stump me."
Sorry...thats the last one of the oldies. There was only one or two others left, but I was out of money!

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a problem I can
identify with. Use my
philosiphy,"The wife and kids don't
really need to eat".

Dfd

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a good picture of Ladder 10 at a fire.

http://detroitfirefighters.net /index.htm

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD and all that is my picture and i will be adding more as i have time to update the detroitfirefighters.net website. Thanks

Dfd

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maddog, Thank you for that picture and for any others you share! Feel free to post them here.

Jjcortese
Username: Jjcortese

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wondering if anyone has worked at Engine 52 during the 60's and 70's. My Grandfather, Tony Cortese was a Lieutenant at that Engine Company when he retired in 75. I myself am a Firefighter in Tennessee for Putnam County. Just curious if anyone knew him. BTW here are some pics of our apparatus. First is my Engine Company, #11, with Tanker #11 to the rear during training with our burn trailer. The next is a structure fire with Engine #31 in the foreground and Attack 14 in the background. Quite a hot one on that fire... BIG ROLLOVERS from side D. Hope you enjoy!!

Jeff Cortese
PCFD #932

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff: I didn't know your Grandfather.
Found two photos of him.One
in Cheryl Anderson's book.
the other in the 1976 book
D.F.D.Historical Record.
Both photos are the standard
head and shoulders dress
cap photos.Good photo
posts. I learned respect
for limited water tanker
operations. You don't waste a drop.
Try the D.F.D.General Discussion
site for a more direct contacts.

Jjcortese

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tony: I did try the D.F.D. site, had no hits, but plenty of lookers. I know my Grandfather really wasn't well received around the department, but nonetheless, he was a Firefighter. I have to get my hands on Cheryls' book... looks really interesting. I was able to get some of my Grandfathers personals from his career; OLD Cairns Helmet, badges, helmet shields, Fireman's Fund Certificate, and several pics to name a few. Again, thanks for your help!

Dfd

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jjcortese, nice pictures!
Hey, does anyone have pictures from inside any of the firehouses? Joker stands, bay, etc. ?

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjcortese
Are you a firefighter in the City of Cookeville or volunteer in the county? I know Putnam County and Cookeville very well. Is Ben Benjamin still working there?

Jjcortese

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am with the County. I have only been on for a little over a year. That name hasn't come up at all. Did he run with CFD or PCFD??

Buyamerican

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFD..he may have retired. He also owned the Dish Network installation out of Ckvl.

Jjcortese

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll ask around. Alot of our members are CFD members also.

Jjcortese

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found out about Ben Benjamin. He retired from CFD as a Captain about 2 or 3 years ago. He now owns the Technology Store in Cookeville.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vehicle in the center appears to be marked "Detroit Fire Dept." I cannot make out the final word but the number appears to be a 3. What kind of vehicle is this?

The Battalion Chief's car is a 1938 Chevrolet.

A larger view: http://ookpik72.tripod.com/detpic59.jpg

Ookpik

Buyamerican

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjcortese, thanks for the info on Ben. His wife delivered the H-C to us for 10 years, then they bought the Dish franchise in Cookeville. We got ours through them, very reliable people and really nice. Do you live in the county or city? We were down by City Lake.

Dfd

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it an ambulance maybe?

Ookpik

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd - Could be. I think the final word on the door is "Rescue" so that would make sense if it was some type of ambulance.

Dfd

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great picture, thanks for posting it. Do you have any pictures of firehouse interiors?

Jjcortese

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican: We live in the county outside of White Plaines golf course, thank God. If we lived in Algood, we'd be in trouble... their F.D. isn't the greatest. ;)

Ookpik

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd - I don't think so. If I run across any, I will gladly post them.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photo is a 1941 Cadillac Squad. I
think the Chiefs car is a '38 Chevy.
The Squad should be numbered "2".

Dfd

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a manpower squad like they have today, or an ambulance? Some places call an ambulance a "squad".

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a manpower Squad.Detroit Fire and
Police did "specials" until E.M.S. was formed.
They would transport.The main function was
fire.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjcortese
I know White Plains very well, some great homes on the golf course. There is nothing like the beauty of the area around there, we loved it.
I do miss the area and how beautiful it was. We'll be down there in July to visit friends.
I do remember the County Fire Department having to draft water from City Lake to put out a fire in the Eastlake Estates area. Also, they had to go up to the motel on Hwy. 70, the Alpine now but it was Howard Johnsons at the time and they drafted water from their pool. It took a long time for them to put out the fire.

Jjcortese

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember them talking about the fires at Eastlake and the Alpine. Hopefully we wont have to draft out of pools and lakes too much. We have a total of 5 Class A Tanker/Pumper combo's on the department. We regularly practice tank shuttle op's.

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is one my favorite threads. I love reading about Detroit history. Does anyone have any information regarding the initial integration of the Detroit Fire Department?

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go back to pages two and three of this forum.
That will get you started. I will relate what
I know from reading accounts and what I have
been told in interviews. TONY

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

History on the "CADDYS" One of my colleagues
relates these facts. The Cadillac Squads
were assigned to Sq.2 and 3. Sq.3's rig
was reassigned to Sq.4 in 1948.The
rig was destroyed in a horrible accident.
While responding to an alarm at the
Detroit Lumber Company they collided with
a police car also on a run. A Police Sergent
and two Firefighters were killed.

Ookpik

Post Number: 203
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony - Thanks for info about the Cadillac Squad, however, I am saddened to learn about the tragic accident.

Oookpik

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Accidents are part of D.F.D. history.
A tragic early accident also took
the life of a Police Officer.On
August 23, 1911 Mounted Patrolman
Franklin Smith was killed in an
accident with the horse drawn
water tower. Campus Martius was full
of people after the Moose parade.
The tower was responding to an
alarm.The officer was clearing
a path and moving pedestrians to
safety. His horse spooked and turned
into the towers path. The officer
was crushed.Not much has changed
through the years. The events of
a few weeks ago with E.17 have
an erie similarity.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a firebrat reunion won't be happening this year at the Field Day. I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone from the Fireman's Fund. Every time I call, no one answers. Emails have not received any response. Anyone know of an alternate number I can call? Would snail mail work better? Can one of the other firebrats call them during the morning hours (I am in the classroom and can't make any calls)? I'd be happy to do the planning if we can get the go-ahead from the Fireman's Fund. If not, we can go anyway (it's at the Zoo this year) and just do an informal thing.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know some of the Fund guys. I'll poke around and see if I can get some info for you. Probably not til next week though.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a billion FFdfd.

Dfd

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you could still do the t shirt project. I've thought about asking my kids if they would wear a firebrat shirt from our dept..

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any design ideas for the shirts? Perhaps your kids could design something?

Ffdfd

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, send me an email at f.f_dfd at mail dot com.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we lived in CA, about 15 years ago, I took a fire safety class. The FF instructing the class said that FFs don't live long in to retirement which the insurance companies look forward to. When I told him that my DAD was still kicking after nearly 40 years on the DFD, he told me that DAD was an anachronism for the insurance companies and would push all their rates up. I'm not sorry; I'm not ashamed; DAD TURNED 86 TODAY!!! ... and he was the manager of the band in '77.

Dfd

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, I asked my daughter to work on a design. It might be a week or two. She's working on scholarship stuff.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd: That's GREAT! I'd rather have a firebrat do the design. I know a t-shirt guy that can get us t-shirts for about 15 bucks each. If anyone knows of anyone cheaper or a Union person, please let me know. Any ideas on how to get the shirts to folks? I was thinking of selling them at the event. I'm still trying to contact those at the Fund but I have taken on an extra class of kids and no longer have a prep period and my lunch is late in the day. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FfDfd: Mail sent

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm: That is fantabulous! My dad just turned 66 and am looking forward to having him around awhile. Don't know what I'd do without dad!

I also heard that FFs don't live long after retiring. I asked my dad about it once and he said that it's because the guys inhale so much smoke during their career. I think it's because they miss their 2nd family and their love for the job. Dad still hangs out around the stations and I think that gives him the feeling of still being there. I do have to call dad to do some weird chore (that I could really do myself) just so he still feels useful. He volunteers to do so much around my house that I am running out of projects! He has another "job" but I really think he misses the guys at DFD (not that they don't hang out together). I can really say that all of the guys have been great with dad and keeping him in the loop after he retired. DFD is really a family and I am thankful every day that they care so much for each other.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, DetroitTeacher!

Like you, I ADORE my Dad and would like to keep him around as long as is reasonable. His memory isn't what it used to be but he's still living in his own home in Detroit.

The inhaling smoke line kind of makes me chuckle. Dad NEVER had air masks, etc., and had to inhale mattresses, tires, etc. To top it off, he chews tobacco and all the rest of us smoke. Dad's mouth and lungs are in perfect health.

Dfd

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As if it weren't bad enough on the DFD.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070510/NEW S01/705100407&imw=Y

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E. Co.29 is celebrating 100th.
anniversary on 05/22/07.
Check the D.F.D.Message Board
or with "RockinRob" at 29's.
Looking for 7th.Battalion veterans
and people with photos and stories
of E.29.

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

****** Correction ******

Engine 29's Anniversary will be on 5/26/07 from 1pm till ??? Next to 29's Quarters.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK. I am in touch with the Fireman's Fund. Field Day is on August 12 at the Zoo. There will also be a Spaghetti Dinner on Sept. 26 and this is how the Firebrats could help the most. More info to follow (as soon as I get it). If there is a decent sized interest in the Spaghetti Dinner then Firebrat T-shirts could be made and purchased. If you'd like to be put on an email list for Firebrat updates for activities and how we can help, please send me an email at tmcooleyweb at aol dot com. I will keep you posted via an e-newsletter. Anyone else who would like to show support for our heroes is also welcome to be put on the e-newsletter list.

The ball is rolling and things are looking up :-)

Ookpik

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DFD in action. The photo is believed to be from the 1940's. Does anyone know what kind of fire truck that is?

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik : The Engine pictured is a Seagrave.
Late teens or early twenties vintage.
Engines had long lives. After first line
service they became " X " rigs and
served as replacements when first line
rigs were out of service for some reason.

Dfd

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The neighbors sure did turn out back then!
Is the car in the background a batt. commander?
Great picture.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've been given the go-ahead for Firebrat T-shirts, so if any firebrat (or their kids) have any ideas for a design, please let me know. Shirts will cost 10.00 each and proceeds will go toward the Memorial Rig. Toddler sizes will also be available for the newest additions to the "family".

I'm hoping all the firebrats and FF (and families) here can attend the Spaghetti dinner. As soon as I get info on tickets and such, I will post. It's a great cause and the money raised is going toward the Memorial Rig and we all know how important this project is.

Jjcortese

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey there:

I wont be able to make it up there, but being a grandson of a DFD, FF, I would like a XL size along with on the of smallest ones for my new daughter. Thanks,

Jeff Cortese
PCFD, Algood TN

Dfd

Post Number: 249
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, I told my daughter that you would like input from a firebrat. So hopefully she will have a design soon. Sounds like it's coming together!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd: Yes it is! Glad to hear that your daughter is involved!

JJ: As soon as they are ready for sale, I'll be happy to take orders. Please send me an email at TMCooleyweb at aol dot com and I'll be sure to send out an email when they are ready, along with other info about Firebrat happenings and how we can help with the Memorial Rig and Fireman's Fund. Congrats your new daughter!

Dfd

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik or Mikem, Do you have any more pictures or maps. Hopefully we'll make a trip up to the D this year and take some pictures to share.
Firebrats, Are (were)any of your dads engineers?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad started off as a tillerman. He moved up the ladder rather quickly (no pun intended) and finally retired as a Battalion Chief.

Oops, forgot to add that he was also on the fireboat for a while.

(Message edited by detroitteacher on June 02, 2007)

Dfd

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wanted to drive a tiller! I bet he enjoyed that assignment.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleaning out an old drawer this week, I came upon an aluminum token that I think was a souviner of the 1949 DFD Field day. It has a 1949 penny inserted in the middle, and the outer rim of the holder says "Detroit Fire Department WO 2-0400", and on the backside "Detroit Industrial Safety Council". (Sorry, my scanner took a shit). It's about the size of a silver dollar. I really have no use for it, if one of you smoke eaters would like it, please email me direct at RDown3657@cox.net

First come first served.

Dfd

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Fathers day to DFD active and retired!

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back ! Where have you all been?
No posts in a while.Missed everyone.

Dfd

Post Number: 254
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter's graduation and post season fastpitch. Any new pictures!?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been winding down for the end of the school year and getting ready for my own classes.

Looking forward to Field Day and the Spaghetti dinner (and hopefully putting some faces to the names on this thread). Still looking for Brat T-shirt designs (no one wants ME to design it...best I can do is stick figures).

Happy Father's Day to all the heroes out there!

Ookpik

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a new picture!

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/104921.html?1182193806

It is of the Rohns firehouse and was taken in the 1940's. Credit goes to DY forum members for identifying the firehouse.

Ookpik

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E.41, Ch.3 and Sq.3 Rohns and E. Warren.
Squad and Chief were moved to other quarters.
Chief is now disbanded. Squad 3 runs with
E.23 at Moran and the Boulvard.E.41 had an
accident.They were run off the road and into
an empty lot. They are also out of service.
E.M.S. runs alone from the quaters.
D.F.D.congratulations.One of life's proud
moments is a childs graduation. Were you here
for the softball tourney ? Teach we have "
Radio Faces".

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prayers go out to the FFs in S.C. for their loss. Keeping all of our local guys in my thoughts, as well.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony, Engine 41's rig is still in service -- a piece of garbage, but still being used. Right now E46 has it. As I mentioned in another thread, they taped "+5" next to where it says Engine 41. Funny.

Engine 41 is an active company but it is just a manpower pool. All members are detailed out every day. No one reports to the firehouse on Rohns; E41 keeps its paperwork at E32 on Jefferson near St. Jean. The E41 roster is low seniority people at each rank because when they have enough time, guys will put in to transfer to a company that has a home. FFs coming back off layoff are usually placed at one of the "phantom" companies (E21, E31, E41, E47, TAC2, L16, L24). The city just brought back the last group laid off in 2005; they are at the academy for refresher before returning to the field.

Yeah, DT, nine firefighters killed at that furniture warehouse fire. Unbelievable.

(Message edited by ffdfd on June 19, 2007)

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks,Ffdfd.I didn't know 41's
rig was on the street.
Maybe I should start reading
the Apparatus column in the
BOX 42 NEWSLETTER.
Warren Avenue becomes a one
way street a few blocks east
of 41's quarters.This put 41's
at a disadvantage responding
to fires east of quaters.
A nameless F.E.O.was tired
of the ribbing he got from
other F.E.O.'s who beat him to his
boxes. Don't know how he managed this
but some how he manuvered that
big Seagrave around the corner
went the wrong way on Warren.
Imagine driving your car and
suddenly seeing a fire engine
coming at you . D.F.D. ingenuity.

Dfd

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's it goin' up there in the D?
Was the 4th of July a tough one for DFD?

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A second alarm for dwellings and garages
after midnight. An extra companies fire
that should have been a second alarm a
short time later.Both in the 8th.battalion.
Northeast part of town. The rest of the day was
quiet to normal.Thankfully the 4th. of July
arsons ran there course after a couple of
years and ended.

Dfd

Post Number: 257
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds good. I had heard that the 4th had been a busy time. I've posted this before but here is a picture of a dwelling fire on Linwood.

Linwood

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good early shot.Any companies on scene?
Do you know where on Linwood?

Dfd

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We followed Squad 4 (?) to the scene from the fireboat station, so the initial knockdown was finished.
I'm thinking it was just north of Grand Blvd. W.
I've got a call in to one of the guys from that trip to see about the cross street.
Does the house on the left look like it has an address on the post?

Dfd

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys seen this?

http://detroitfirefighters.net /engine_companies.htm