Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through July 18, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - All TARS from our era knew what was happening - I coached Tennis at SE and want to be looked at for the coaches section too...
Team members had never played but in '68 we went 4- 5 on the eastside......."We Be Good" as they used to say!!!!

GB - Other Strohs News....I used to park cars at the Little Club in GP which was located next to the Dodge Mansion on Thursday nights and weekends....and Mrs. Stroh and I used to talk....I was hoping that the conversation would get to where she would like to pay for my tuition at MSU after DHS....She talked about other stuff.....Oh Well....

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I understand what you mean...I caddied at the CC of Detroit...carried for Wm. Clay Ford one time...very nice man...plus, he tipped me $20...in 1956!!...also carried for a man named Weber...head of J.L. Hudson...tipped a dime...it cost him a 3 pack of good balls before I turned his bag in.

You're a lock-in for the TARS Education HOF as a tennis coach...you have both of my votes...I strongly believe in the concept of vote early and vote often!

Eastside61

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Check out '67 memories for a TARS update about TARS HOF Golf team.....later....

What ever happened to the Book deal that KR was putting together for us?????

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eastside 61- Are you still in SF? I used to live in Alameda. I worked in Oakland at Bertolas Famous Italian restaurant. Ever hear of it?
PN

Goblue

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Back from Mazatlan...good week on the beach...never was able to get a decent bottle of wine...the Mexican variety is awful...trust me on that one.

PN: Yeah, he's in SF...I heard he just got canned by the Jesuit school where he was teaching...hard to believe given the Jesuits!!..sounds like he's reverted to his Eastside juv. del. behaviors...chucking eggs at cop cars, etc.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey you old Guys ...did you guys ever know Hissong's or Nuber's or was that after your time?Panetta (spelling) ...Candella's (spelling)...Sassin's, Rolands, Bishoffs, Supanichs...just wondering ...these were the older families on our block.

Goblue

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gib: I don't recognize those names...but...my older sister might...ES will for sure...he's as old as dirt!

Eastside61

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB and G - I just brushed the dirt off of myself, but fell back asleep again but the names do not ring a bell for me either - Here is a test for GB: There will now be at least 12 eastsiders in TC in two weeks to solve the mystery date name game - do you remember what street she lived on? or any other identifying info? We do know it is tough for the '58 grads to focus...I will past her picture (I have blocked out your face because of the age difference) around early when we meet and start soaking up some cold ones as part of the investigative process.

Goblue

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Those afternoon naps are great aren't they?!? Here now!!...it was '59...let's not rush this process...lolol...Can't name the street where she lived but my sense is that she lived on a street off of Morang toward Harper...that's just a feeling though. A gentleman would not discuss "other identifying info'!!! She wasn't that much younger...what's a few years between friends...especially since she is now at least 63...ouch!

I always stick to Corona...with a lime...prevents rickets...plus the used lime slices enable you to keep count...but then...a bunch of eastsiders in TC probably won't be counting.

Eastside61

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You are first on the evenings agenda when the TC All-Eastsiders meet.....We are going to figure it out!!!! This photo is not a photoshop created by you is it????? Maybe she could be on the cover of the book that Kellyroad, Go-Blue and Eastside will be formulating.....58 - 59 all the same...and a few years means little at this stage.....Do you need anything from "Up North"?????

Goblue

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: No photoshop...you have the scanned-in original...I was amazed when I discovered it in an old file. Hey...I like that cover of the book idea...especially since she missed the centerfold 45 years ago. Well...you're right...64,65,66...pretty much all the same. A bushel of those great TC cherries would be terrific...used to spent a lot of time in TC...winter and summer...some great memories! I understand that they have a great minor league ballpark there now.

I'm counting on your band of mercenaries to deliver the information. Ya'll better make it early on the evening's agenda.

Eastside61

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - We are headed to the ballpark for a game...supposed big stuff in TC. Also it is the week of the TC Film Festival....things are happenin' Up North. Since you older guys dated all the '61 foxes will I be safe in in bringing up your name and your Saratoga/Columbus/foot of Lakewood/Denby roots?????? Maybe I can get a rider on the insurance policy for the trip......so that I am not run out of town early in the evening.....ALSO - what if the name is revealed? I know you don't have cell coverage in AZ because of the "Dry heat" and with the time difference you it will be early evening and you will be getting ready for bed.....but we should set up a conference call if the name is revealed....Let's see the known facts are: 1959 - Prom - and she might have lived over by Harper and Morang - "Thats a lot of details" Did you ever speak to her using her first name? - If I remember right at the corner of Morang and Harper - just to the other side of the freeway was the "Green Oaks" bar.....did you pick her up at the bar? Oh! Did you have fun at the prom? These are very important details the CSI - TC agents will need......Later!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: We did not date ALL of the '61 foxes...need I remind you of SH?? Of course...feel free to mention my name...although I did my best to fly beneath the radar in those days...it was safer that way. Some guys tended to get nasty about chick stealing. Good question...what if her name is determined...then what? To tell the truth I don't know. We'll worry about that after we figure out who she is. My email address is ew310@cableone.net ...would just as soon not put my cell number on the net. But...a few of the homing pigeons could make the TC-AZ trip in 4-5 days. I'm curious about the ID of this band of miscreants that is assembling in TC. We had fun at the prom...and a GREAT time after...a buddy of mine drove!

Eastside61

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - thanks....and when this thread finally runs it course I will e mail you so that we can just talk and not have to go through motown.....All the women in attendance for the TC fest were
'61 er's but I am sure once your picture is thrown on the table there will be wild screaming.......thanks again for the e mail link...

Goblue

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHMIGAWD!!! You didn't tell me that there were going to be a group of women from the class of '61!!! I had assumed that a bunch of guys were getting together for some beer and ballgames...I am now in the process of booking a ticket for Timbuktu and will be changing my name! In addition, have an appointment with a plastic surgeon in the Valley...even me own dear sainted mother won't recognize me. My counsel is to broach the subject carefully...you don't want to get shot just for associating. My experience is that the women will shoot every guy in the room just to make sure they got the right one...and let God sort them out. I'll also be developing my story of innocence and stickin' to it!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You have the talent to bring out the term "GOING POSTAL" from the '61 females.......It will be a fun night at your expense or maybe the Prom Date Mystery will finally be solved....Just get on line for the TC "Record Eagle" on 8/3 to read the headlines!!!!!

What if they know her??????????????????????????? What if some of the other women who are not Eastsiders but in the bar recognize you in the picture?
Hummmmmm!!!!!! This is going to be good!!!!

Remember: Record Eagle for all the latest headlines......

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could "connections" be used?

Goblue

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: No good deed goes unpunished...there I was just trying to provide friendly companionship and introduce some freshmen and sophomores to the larger Tar community while explaining the intricacies of submarine racing at the foot of Alter...and now that good deed comes back to haunt me!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - When we finally decide to each invest our $500.00 to purchase homes on the eastside.....You and I are both going to gobble up Lower Lakewood - Scripps - Harbor Island and maybe some of Marlborough.....A combo '59 - '61 reunion at the foot of Lakewood will be the first event held within our Gated Community - "Neverland" was take by some psycho but there is still time to pick a name - Mark you Cal. 8/2 8 PM in TC......!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I think the major investment will be in the private army...and the heavy weaponry needed to defend our community...marketing should be a cinch..."Remember When You Were At The Foot of Lakewood...You Can Be There Again..." I suggest that we mail the first brochure to SH...I'm certain that she and her sister will be interested once they learn who the principal owners are. Gotta come up with a name though...maybe "YASBABI???

I have 8/2 8:00 EDT on my calendar...
interestingly enough...the same time as my flight out of the country!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Are you leaving because the mystery might be solved and it will be necessary? As for the H sisters they can pick any houses they want....and I would hope that some of SH '61's friends would join the community. SH and her friends were a reason that the TARS hung out on Parkgrove and Salter.......Any others that you want me to mention while people are looking over prom photo....Maybe they have gravitated to the AZ - High Desert area!!!!

SH 61 went to the U of M......how sad!!!! Were you the first to show her the foot of Lakewood??????? Not sure!!!

That Prom date was not Howie Travis's sister - Right?

Goblue

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: SH was THE reason the TARS hung out at Parkgrove & Salter...both of the SH's. I'm heading out of town simply because of the odds...too many '61 TAR women in one place and the odds aren't good! Didn't know that SH went to U-M...always knew she was a bright lady...wish I had also...at that point I put hockey and buddies over academics...WMU was just forming a hockey club and I knew that I wasn't Big Ten level talent plus my best friends at the time were heading to Kzoo. I did not...repeat...did not EVER visit the river with SH...sadly enough...actually only went out with her once or twice...once to a grasser at a flood gravel pit somewhere down toward Toledo.

Didn't know that Howie had a sister...and uh...well...we'll let that one go.

Goblue

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Did you by any chance see last Friday's NY Times? It had a good story about TC on page D3...how its developed into a wine country...to tell the truth though I've never tasted MI wine that was much above kerosene...Napa Valley it ain't! Let me know if you haven't seen it...I might be able to cut and paste from their website. BTW...I'd heard that the SH's really enjoyed Boone's Farm....True/False??

Eastside61

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - send me the NYT TC if you can.....Lakewood Estates will allow sidearms????? and Tanks????? As for SH...I think it was warm Schlitz or Gobels......No wine...Oh....she used to walk across the street to Dennis Huard's house (basement) where we experimented drinking ice cold Moscow Mules.....Oh SH.......!!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: It loses a lot pasting this way...especially the photos.

Michigan’s Wine Country Grows Where the Cherry Is King
Gary Howe for The New York Times
The sailing ship Manitou on Grand Traverse Bay.

By BETH GREENFIELD
Published: July 13, 2007
DRIVING along the fingerlike peninsulas of Grand Traverse Bay, it’s easy to see why this part of Michigan calls itself the cherry capital. In spring, dense orchards explode in creamy blossoms, their pink hues like Impressionist smudges against the brilliant blue of Lake Michigan; come July’s harvest time, the branches are thick with ruby fruit.

The lighthouse on Old Mission Peninsula, which runs right up the middle of Grand Traverse Bay.
But sprouting from the rolling green hillsides between the orchards is evidence of yet another fruitful enterprise — the neat rows of vineyards, which are fast turning this area into a destination for oenophiles and casual wine tasters alike.

“There’s a quiet revolution happening here,” said Joel Goldberg, editor of the Detroit-based online consumer guide MichWine.com, who spoke between sips and spits at the small Chateau Fontaine Vineyards & Winery on the Leelanau Peninsula. “Go off a side road and through the woods and you’ll find a vineyard here, a vineyard there — hundreds of acres of new vineyards are going in all over the place. And there are some real quality wines.”

Cherries are still a huge draw in these parts — Traverse City, a pleasantly hip town at the southwestern tip of the 32-mile-long bay, has several cherry-product shops and is home to the elaborate National Cherry Festival, a weeklong burst of performances and parades (this year’s runs through tomorrow). Michigan generally produces 70 to 75 percent of the tart cherries (the baking kind) grown in this country, all of which come from this part of the state. But grapes seem to be gently taking the lead when it comes to year-round reasons to visit, and they’ve wooed some growers away from cherries.

“The return per acre can be substantially greater from grapes,” said Don Coe, a Michigan agricultural commissioner and co-owner of the nine-year-old Black Star Farms, which includes a winery and distillery in Suttons Bay, on the west shore of the bay. It makes sense for farmers to replant cherry orchards with vineyards, he explained, because cherry trees need to be replaced anyway once they mature. “Because the Grand Traverse Bay area is a significant tourist attraction, it makes the winery tasting room all the more logical,” Mr. Coe added. “It’s a fortuitous confluence.”

The shores of Grand Traverse Bay are a country of sandy bayfront beaches, wide water vistas dotted with white sails, historic stop-offs and a variety of inns and restaurants. The long Leelanau Peninsula juts north into Lake Michigan, forming the bay’s western edge, and the smaller, skinny Old Mission Peninsula projects northward from Traverse City, slicing the interior of the bay in two. It all adds up to more than a hundred miles of waterfront.

To ease into your exploration, sidestep Traverse City at first and head due north on Old Mission, a 22-mile strip that’s narrow enough in stretches to let you drive up its spine while taking in bay views in both directions. It’s home to six wineries, soon to be seven, including the Chateau Grand Traverse and Chateau Chantal, both of which have guest houses with rooms overlooking the vineyards. All offer daily tastings of their rieslings and pinot noirs and, naturally, some version or other of a cloying cherry port.

“The sweeter the better,” admitted both Dave and Debbie Bridgewater, loading up on bottles of their favorites at Chateau Grand Traverse. They were soaking in the calm of the peninsula on a roundabout route from their home near Detroit to their weekend cabin in nearby Lake City. “We come quite a bit — for the wine,” said Ms. Bridgewater, 48, a hairdresser.

Mr. Bridgewater, a 46-year-old builder who wore a “Chicks dig my ride” T-shirt, said that while they had come by car that afternoon, their usual routine was to cruise up on their Harleys, a favored transport for many visitors to this region. “The roads are really nice, and there are a lot of elevation changes,” he said. “But we really just love the wineries and the water.”

The peninsula exudes a breezy country vibe, felt on quiet residential streets and in the stuck-in-time Old Mission General Store — opened in a wigwam in 1839 as the first trading post between Detroit and Mackinac Island. It’s run now by Jim Richards, a former actor from Detroit who inherited a family cherry orchard and purchased the store nine years ago.

“I thought it would be a noble cause to preserve this store,” said Mr. Richards, his days onstage and in soap operas still evident in his booming voice and jaunty derby (it’s a store rule that all the male workers wear period hats, a homage to those in the first photo of the store, in 1863, which is framed and hanging on the wall). There are plenty of other leftovers — creaky wood floors and big wooden barrels of peanuts, an antique Victrola and a heavy, ancient telephone whose receiver Mr. Richards picks up when it ding-a-lings — plus modern additions like store-made cherry salsa, steaming cups of chai and fat Italian sandwiches.

1 2

Goblue

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Page 2 of 2)

Besides just a sprinkling of other businesses — B & Bs, the wineries and another shop or two — the length of Old Mission is a stretch of gently rolling hills, maple syrup stands, red barns and cherry orchards.

An almost ripe tart cherry near Lake Michigan.
Grand Traverse Bay, Michigan At the northern tip, almost exactly at a latitude of 45 degrees north, halfway between the Equator and the North Pole, you can stroll onto wide, murky tidal flats and peer out to the bay or back inland, where a clutch of furry pine trees hugs a tiny white church, a squat 1870 lighthouse and the Hesler Log House, an 1856 residence constructed from hand-hewn pines and hemlocks and restored for visitors, complete with period furniture and a faux cherry pie on its front windowsill.

Loop back and lose your way on the longer and wider Leelanau Peninsula, exploring winding country roads and precious little towns like Suttons Bay, with a neat row of restaurants and boutiques, and blink-and-you’ll-miss-it Lake Leelanau. “This is a unique area,” said Jon Payne, a friendly 31-year-old produce and pig farmer who sat at what seemed to be his regular post in the organic-vegetarian cafe Kejara’s Bridge in Lake Leelanau. “It attracts creative individuals — people who sacrifice a lot, and are craftspeople and artists who are inspired by the lake and the landscapes.”

More artists are clustered in the town of Leland, where the prime attraction is Fishtown, a Lilliputian commercial-fishing post where a cluster of worn wooden docks and ramshackle structures hold tiny clothing shops, a sunny pottery studio and seafood stores like Carlson’s Fresh and Smoked Fish. A clutch of fishing boats, both working and tourist, come and go, as do ferries to the Manitou Islands, where a group of gear-laden campers had just returned from an excursion on a recent chilly morning.

This peninsula’s tip, Northport, has a lighthouse, too — the red-roofed and climbable Grand Traverse Lighthouse, whose interior has been restored to its 1920s style. It’s in the 1,300-acre Leelanau State Park, with hiking paths and a leafy campground. The park fronts Lake Michigan, stretching out west toward Wisconsin.

THE Leelenau’s 13 wineries include the large Black Star, where visitors sample pinot noir and the winery’s own brandy and cheeses under the high, domed roof of a sun-drenched shop and tasting room.

Find the most interesting local night life and foodie scene back to the south in Traverse City, where Front Street bustles with weekenders and locals. Shoppers pack into Kilwin’s of Michigan, which proffers fat slabs of fudge, and the Cherry Stop boutique, stocked with cherry pie, cherry-pepper jam, cherry-scented candles, cherry-chipotle sauce, cherry body lotion, cherry cookbooks and aprons bearing bold cherry prints.

A 10-minute jaunt out of town is a quirky attraction worth searching out: the Music House Museum, a converted 1908 barn housing a stellar collection of automatic musical instruments including a 1924 Wurlitzer theater organ, a gorgeous 1917 Estey pipe organ and an 18-foot-high Mortier dance organ from Belgium, hand-carved out of rosewood in 1922 and sounding like a full, festive band. A walnut and gold-leaf reproducing piano plays rolls remade from those created by George Gershwin, playing his own music as it was transferred onto the rolls.

“This is exactly how he played ‘Rhapsody in Blue,’ ” said a museum guide, Jack Pechur, adding that the master had imagined that composition, from beginning to end, on a train from New York to Boston. And for nearly five minutes the keyboard dipped and heaved, ghostlike, through the piece, filling the soaring space with the romantic sounds of travel.

VISITOR INFORMATION

THE Cherry Capital Airport is about 10 minutes from downtown Traverse City. American Airlines operates direct flights from a number of cities, while many other flights go through Detroit. The peninsulas are easily reachable by car, the farthest point (Northpoint Park), about two hours from the airport.

Most area wineries open daily between 10 a.m. and noon and remain open until 5 p.m. Details are at www.wineriesofoldmission.com and www.lpwines.com.

The Traverse City Convention & Visitors Bureau (101 West Grandview Parkway; 800-872-8377; www.visittraversecity.com) has helpful information about the region.

The Music House Museum (7377 Route 31 North, Acme; 231-938-9300; www.musichouse.org) is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily (Sundays noon to 4) May through October.

Sleeping options are plentiful, and include the waterfront Neahtawanta Inn (1308 Neahtawanta Road; 800-220-1415; www.oldmission.com/inn) on Old Mission, offering yoga classes and vegetarian breakfasts and lovely rooms from $105 per night. Or, on Leelanau, try the cozy Korner Kottage (503 North St. Josephs Avenue, Suttons Bay; 888-552-2632; www.kornerkottage.com), with rooms from $148 nightly.

Goblue

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: OHMIGAWD...you introduced SH to evils of drink...I'm terrified to think what else took place in that basement. You're lucky her father didn't you arrested!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Bill H ......If he only knew !!!! It was what I learned from her...wow! Where are all those DENBY TARS?????

Thanks again the the NYC cut and paste club.....too!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: OH NO...I can hardly believe what I'm reading...while I had her on a pedastal...you were...well...it just ain't right!!

De nada para el Times.

Eastside61

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - i will ask the TC group what is known about SH '61 and you will be the first to know........Last seen in LA! Rest up as you will have a lot of info to process.....Prom date name - SH's whereabouts
Should I also offer home sites to those who want to get in on the ground floor with purchases of prime property in the "Lakewood Estates"????? Is the name Duncan Carswell familiar? In other news I was talking to a Mortgage Broker by phone and i asked her where she was calling from. She said Livonia. She was a westsider but her father was STILL operating an gas station in the 7 and Gratiot area...like in your Celestine/Saratoga neighborhood. Her family was moving from W Bloomfield Hills to Shelby Township......Her loan offer was not very good but nice to talk tooooooo. Back to SH - what did she teach you?????