Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through July 18, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't make out the adress.Sounds right.
Linwood runs from W. Gr. Blvd .north to
6 mi.Sq.4 would be at the boat.They are the
Fire Fighting crew for the boat. The engine
house histories were compiled by Clarence
Woodard D.F.D. historian. As I type Ch.5
is requesting a second alarm for fire in
multiple dwellings and garages at Medbury
and E.Gr.Blvd.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladder 20 was parked near the front of the fire if that helps.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been following this post for a while. I'm amazed at how long this thing has been going with quality stuff the entire time. It's getting close to a year now! I think this qualifies as the longest running post (and one of the best quality) in DetroitYES! history.

Congrats and thanks to everyone who's contributed to this great thread!

Dfd

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. It's a good subject! It started as a request for pictures of firehouses and it turned into a history lesson and it honors the DFD present and retired, and the FIREBRATS. They are the proud sons and daughters of DFD firefighters.
Hopefully there is a lot more to come. Stay tuned.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes and don't forget Field day is coming up quick. It's at the Zoo this year! While there won't be a formal Brat reunion then we are still invited to attend (price of admission not included). August 12. Stay posted for details. I will be emailing them to folks who contacted me about info. Also, the spaghetti dinner is Sept. 26th. That will be the date of the BRAT/grandBRAT reunion (old and new additions to the "family" welcome). I still haven't had any ideas for the shirt so I might just design something...unless I can get an "artsy" person to do it.

Always proud to be a BRAT! I am also amazed that this thread has lasted and is so active. Puts our FFs in a great light and gives them the credit they deserve for a job well done (and not under the best of circumstances most of the time). I love to hear all of the history and stories told on this thread. Brings back plenty of memories!

Dfd

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, I just asked my daughter again about designing a shirt, and she said that she wants to. I told her that time is short so hopefully today or tomorrow.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you know there is a firebrat insect? I did not until I googled firebrat, thinking there may be an image worthy of DT's shirt in cyberspace. I'm guessing you don't want to incorporate this nasty bugger into the design:

Interesting tidbits about the firebrat:
* can go for as much as a year without eating
* can be found in bakeries and near boilers or furnaces
* they feed on a wide variety of carbohydrates and starches that are also protein sources such as flour and book bindings (spaghetti is rich in carbs; there may be some lurking at the spaghetti dinner):-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebrat

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! I can't believe it's been a year. Not sure if I mentioned to you folks that I printed off most of this thread for my Dad and bound it in a nice binder for him. He was touched by all the thoughts, photos, and memories.

Needless to say, there's no way that I can take Dad to the Zoo for the Field Day. Heck, at 86, I'm LUCKY that he's here! But, please know that we're with all of you in thoughts and memories.

Loved the old Field Days at Tiger Stadium, especially after Dad made Chief and we could watch from the Press Box (where we nearly lost Dad in '77). Can't forget all the DFDers who came up to visit the box and were an extra, dating, bonus!

Dfd

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm, I'm glad that this thread has evolved into something meaningful to the retirees, active, and families! Tell your dad we said hey.
Ffdfd, google "detroit firebrat". We get top billing!

Mtm

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do, DFD, and THANK YOU! Dad still listens to his scanner and is still with all of you in spirit.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm: Please consider coming out to the Zoo yourself and bringing any family that would like to come. It would be great if your dad could make the spaghetti dinner in Sept. There will be many retirees there (from what I hear) and it would be neat if they could all sit and gab about the good old days.

DFD: Thanks for reminding your daughter. It would mean much more to us if someone with any kind of artistic talent designed the shirt and we didn't just have pre-fabbed computer graphics. If she does design it please be sure she puts her signature on it someplace.

My dad has been hearing all sorts of things about this thread! It's reaching more folks than are posting...I'm just glad that we have this opportunity to discuss that which is so close to our hearts.

If you'd like to be on the list of "first to be informed" about firebrat updates/outings please send an email to tmcooleyweb at aol dot com and I'll put you on my list. Proceeds from the t-shirts will go to the Seagrave that they are restoring for the "last ride". Proceeds from the spaghetti dinner will also go toward that and the Fund. I'll be soliciting donations closer to the event if folks can't make it and would like to contribute.

Thanks for being so supportive! It means a lot to our "guys and gals" on the DFD that so many folks care about them and are supporting them!

Mtm

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitTeacher,

We'll definitely try to make it to the Field Day and I'll see about getting Dad there. Curious: is there still anything of a band anymore? In any case, I really want a t-shirt. Probably mentioned that I have a Detroit Fire Fighters t-shirt that my brother got from playing little league over 40 years ago. Doesn't fit me very well but I've been reserving it. Probably could use a wearable one...

Ffdfd

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is still a DFD band. The last gig I saw was last month at the Burn Center softball tournament in Dearborn.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm: Glad you are considering attending. I doubt the band will be at the spaghetti dinner but they MAY show up at Field Day. Never know. Dad might enjoy the spaghetti dinner (inside, less walking, etc.) I do know that the zoo has "strollers" for older folks for a nominal fee. The shirts won't be ready until the spaghetti dinner, but I will keep everyone posted and will try to post a design when I get one. If anyone else would like to help out with the design, that would be fantastic! Maybe we could have a few to be voted on (although I doubt it since getting one is hard enough!).

Dfd

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher,
The design is 3/4 complete. It's really good. Stay tuned.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! Can't wait to see it.

Dfd

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher
Here it is! I can email the actual files to you for a clearer picture. Do you have Microsoft publisher? The front patch is small, and over the left chest.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks good DFD.

Mtm

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD,

IT'S GORGEOUS!! Fantastic job!! Can't wait to get one (or more)

THANKS!!!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD! It's WONDERFUL! Tell your daughter excellent job. I'm printing them out now and will send them to my contact so he can work on getting them silk screened so they'll be ready soon. As soon as I can take orders, I'll be doing so. I'll send out an email to the folks who wanted to be on the email list as well as posting on here.

Pennstar445
Username: Pennstar445

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AFTER A RECENT TRIP TO THE CITY WITH SOME FRIENDS I THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE SOME PHOTOS OF INCIDENTS, APPARATUS & FIREHOUSES... I MUST SAY IT WAS A GREAT FEW DAYS AND THE FIREFIGHTERS OF DETROIT COULDN'T HAVE BEEN MORE WELCOMING. DEFINITELY SURPASSED OUR EXPECTATIONS AND WE ARE ALREADY PLANNING A RETURN TRIP.

WEBSITE HOMEPAGE: http://www.eastcoast911.com

DETROIT SECTION: http://gallery.eastcoast911.com/index.php?cat=50

COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK ALWAYS WELCOME!
IF YOU SEE ANY PHOTOS YOU WOULD LIKE LET ME KNOW AND WE'LL SEE WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT GETTING YOU ORIGINALS NOT THE RESIZED VERSIONS POSTED ON OUR SITE.

~ BEST REGARDS TO ALL ~

Nate - Philadelphia, PA

AS A SIDE NOTE I SEE ABOVE A SHIRT IS IN THE WORKS, THE GRAPHIC ON THE FRONT LOOKS A LOT LIKE THE ONE USED HERE IN PHILADELPHIA ( I WILL TRY TO ATTACH IT SO YOU CAN SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT ) JUST WANTED TO SAY LOOKS GOOD AND I HAVE ENJOYED READING THIS THREAD THUS FAR...

Ffdfd

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pics Pennstar.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice website, Penn! Our thread was your first post :-) Welcome and please do keep stopping by!

Dfd

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pennstar, do you work with Dave Herron?

Pennstar445

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pennstar, do you work with Dave Herron?"

DFD I can't say I know that name, can you give me anymore details?

Thanks everyone for all the kind words and enjoys the pics

- Nate

(Message edited by PennSTAR445 on July 14, 2007)

Dfd

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd, do you have any pictures of the stations you've been working in?

Captscott
Username: Captscott

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just found this forum and it is really good. Nice photos pennstar. One of the guys told me about your visit and your website. I will be in the City for a long stint myself in about two weeks. Really looking forward to it.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ffdfd, do you have any pictures of the stations you've been working in?

No. Maybe someday I'll get the photog bug, but it hasn't happened yet.

Pennstar445

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Captscott: Glad you liked the photos, and good to know that word is traveling. What will be bringing you to the city... In any case hope its a good trip and stay safe, if you need any pointers about whats part(s) of the city to hang in to catch some work let me know.

Captscott
Username: Captscott

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pennstar.. I will be in the City for the same reason you were there, just longer. Though this will be only my second time in the City (first time for only 36 hours), I do know where you hung out and I will be doing much the same. Only thing I would like to know from anyone here is the good places to eat in the City or in the suburbs, if I have time. (G)