Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through July 25, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Interesting tale...the name Duncan Carswell is very vaguely familiar but I couldn't say why...just checked my '59 yearbook...sure enough, he graduated in June '59...he didn't look familiar to me so I have no idea why I would have recognized the name. Maybe because his pic was right next to L. Caselli...whom I do recall. Sorry to hear that his daughter didn't make a good offer...perhaps SH would do better...even though she's 64...lolol...

From SH I learned nothing...I had her on such a pedestal that I was simply in awe...little did I know that you and your band of budding j.d.'s were instructing her in the ways of the TARS. I should have approached the elder SH...while not as stunningly beautiful as the younger she was foxy in her own right. That TC meeting is going to be a fun one...you'll have to tell me more about that group someday. By all means...the TC group should have first pick of home sites in Lakewood Estates...after the parking lot of course... first things first!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - D Carswell hung out at Mt Hope Methodist on 7/Morang - Tom Irwin's sister Gerri, Gordana Popara and others to name a few made many of us return to religion....
Tom I I think is a 59er too.....Do you remember the sororities who were a part of the TARS kingdom in the late 50's - early 60's?????

Goblue

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I knew Tom Irwin...he was Jan.'59...didn't know his sister though...glad to hear that you got religion though! Many prayers were delivered at the foot of Lakewood.

Hmmmm...names of sororities...I can't remember my prom date's name and you're asking me to remember the name of groups??? I do remember the initiation rites at least one of them had...I have an 8X10 photo of one of the sororities...I shot it...I worked at a photo studio in those days...S.Reynolds is in it...sort of a profile in the back row...I think she was showing off! I was Phi Beta...Pretzel Benders...since we weren't allowed to use Greek names/letters.

Rocket_bozo
Username: Rocket_bozo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61 re columbus elementary - the silver haired teacher was Mrs Swanson. Your Mrs. Stephanie was actually Mrs Stefia. The grouch was Mrs Anthony, a 3 month temporary teacher subing for someone going on pregnancy leave. I did not see the SH sisters after Columbus. I think one was a year older than us, and one was a year younger. Go Blue's picture looks familiar but I can't put a name with it.

Goblue

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket: I had Mrs. Swanson for the 8th grade...a nice lady...was working in A2 in the late '70's and knew someone who had gone to Columbus and was still in contact with her...she was in her 90's and in a nursing home at that point. I have a few photos of her...one with a classmate named Lynn Laws...later Lynn Finkbeiner. I worked with Lynn years later in Warren...she died of cancer in her 30's. I don't recall the other teachers names that you mentioned. You're right...the older SH was in the June '59 class...ES knows more about the younger one. Well...we're making progress...at least you recognize my prom date...sooner or later someone will know her name. ES will likely weigh in sometime today...he doesn't get out of bed much before noon these days. Glad to have you join us.

Goblue

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glenfield: Was looking back at earlier posts and realized that your's got overlooked...didn't know what you meant by "connections"...

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought you and ES61 got caught up a bit and used the "Tars" thread much like a personal e-mail/IM/Classmates. No offense though..whew.

Goblue

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...I think you're right...that's why I put my personal email on a few messages back...always glad to pick up new TARS though...always hope too that when we drop out a new name that it will trigger a response from someone...

Eastside61

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket - GB - Sorry I just got up.....You know the good life here in the SF bay area.....Temp perfect - No Humidity - No Insects that resemble B -52's. Rocket how about your Columbus / Denby Vitae? GB- is a grad of Celestine College and has landed on his feet. What about you? Glad that you were aware of the H (parkgrove) sisters......before we give up this thread we need to CSI the prom dates name!!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen ES...we ain't givin' up...us ol' farts know our rights!! Yup...I'm on my feet from Celestine & Fordham...those nights that I'm not down on Whiskey Row in Prescott...don't do that much since some cowboy stepped on my fingers while I was on my way back to my horse.

Since Rocket knew of the SH's he must have been one of ES's band of j.d.'s...egging DPD cars...intoducing sweet young things to the evils of being a TAR, etc.

Eastside61

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - - Prescott AZ - Names of Judy / Tim Zurbriggen familar to you and all the TARS in the mountains....??????

Goblue

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Sorry...can't say the names register...Prescott folks?

Eastside61

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I believe so!!! I will switch over my CSI investigation of Detroit Prom Queens and go try to figure out my facts about the Zurbriggens.....they lived next door here in Los Altos Hills but moved to AZ and i thought Prescott...She raised horses and he did root canals....and messed around with sport cars....will get back soon with additional details....zoom zoom zoom!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yup...there's a Timothy Zurbriggen in the phone book...no address just a phone number...not listed under dentists but maybe he calls his business by a different name. TARS?

Eastside61

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Thanks......he retired from drilling for oil as a dentist....Very nice people who lived next door for about 10 years.....but split for your neighborhood.......12 days until TC!!!! MSNBC - Larry King - Geraldo - Pee Wee Herman - WXYZ - CKLW - Jerry Hodak ... just to name a few will be at the news conference....

Goblue

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J.P. McCarthy...where are you now that I need you!?!?!

Eastside61

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - JP was good...Bud Davies - Ed Mackenzie - Ed Love (wchd) I think is still doin' pbs jazz stuff - Hopefully they will all be there on 8/2 when the name is announced!!!!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Ya know...the most ironic thing would be if she is either a member of...or a sister of one of the dirty dozen about to gather. TC may never be the same again.

Perhaps Hugh Heffner might show up...heard that he was thinking of starting a seniors version of his mag...can just see the centerfold now...or many not.

Eastside61

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - What if the name is finally revealed and ....... and ..... she is now living in TC......and her current husband is in waste management...and she is looking for pay back for a shortened evening at the foot of Lakewood.....UMMMMMM!!! What if her first name is Carmella????? and she has two grown children...Meadow and AJ.....They will never find YOU so no worries...

It was also reported in the DFP in the neighborhood section that there was a mature woman wandering around aimlessly on the corner of Fordham and Celestine.....I wonder???????????

Goblue

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And this from a man who has devoted his life to the health and well being of his fellow human beings...inflicting a fellow TAR with untold anixiety...besides that...I know damn well that her name was/is not Carmella...even my memory ain't that bad...Sally... Susan...Sandra... Shelley...but certainly not Carmella...a worse anxiety would be that one of her children were named for yours truly!!!...and will be 48 years old this September!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The West Coast CSI Prom investigators have found some additional evidence. This photo cannot be posted on the forum BUT soon it will be sent to AZ via E-mail....

This actual photo (color) is an aerial shot of the foot of Lakewood with tire tracks that can be traced back to Fordham. In the photo (faintly) is a young woman in a Prom dress (white) and she is being chased by this older man.....She seems to be running from the trailer park which has been highly discussed in the Link Paradise Lost.....I think she had dropped her corsage...

Is there some significance to all the "S" names mentioned above?

Rocket_bozo
Username: Rocket_bozo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction to the police station post. Pct. number 5 was McCellan (later Jefferson-St Jean)station. Connors-Gratiot was originally numbered 15 later changed to pct 9. My dad tells me he patrolled Mack-Connor-River-Alter territory. He was assigned to pct 5, and didn't know SH's Father.

Goblue

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket: Do you know when the Connor precinct was changed to #19? My dad was assigned there for about 20 years as a patrolman when it was #15. Before that he was at #5. He retired in 1950. He died in 1984...the folks are buried in Gethsemane Cemetery right across Gratiot from when the station used to be. His name was Morris Thompson...badge #1052.

If you've seen postings from Ray1936...he's another retired DPD officer...living in Las Vegas.

Eastside61

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket - Was your father working the 5th in the mid 60's????

Goblue

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You sound worried!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You the Prince of Fordham realize that my CSI investigators have that foot of lakewood color photo !!! You seemed to have just shrugged it off.......5th DPD prec. - Rockets father - foot of lakewood...it is all coming together now!!!! Hiding in the mountains is not an option.....

The prom date was not attending GA or St judes at the time of the prom - right??????

Goblue

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: GA and SJ housed up to the 8th grade if I'm not mistaken...in other words 13 year olds...prom date was at least a freshman TAR...at least 14...in fact I am quite certain she was a sophomore!!

The Hole in the Wall in Utah worked for Butch and Sundance...it oughta work for me...or as I recall they headed for Boliva...haven't been there but could disappear in Quito, Peru where I have friends.

Goblue

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quito, ECUADOR

Eastside61

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Don't leave yet...since there are no homes left in the Saratoga/Eastwood/Fordham neighborhood that means you would be found easily if trying to hide out in Motown......heading to south america is not an option...and what if the prom date wants to talk with you after 48 years????? I am about to scan the Lakewood photo.....but I want to show it to my investigators first....before sending to the mountain retreat in AZ....do you remember where the prom was held for you were photographed at the foot of lakewood? I have even expanded the csi group to include a relative from the 58 class........who will now be joining the TC CSI investigator seminar: "Prom Date identification through old photos" and the second session: "All TARS have a name and story".......these sessions will be available to be downloaded as a podcast too.

I did like the GA - ST J angle....ha ha...and it looks like I or maybe we have scared off the Rocket...and Kelly road.....

Do you remember Supreme Drugs that was on Hayes and about Faircrest or Saratoga....it was on east side of hayes....??????

Goblue

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking that Supreme Drugs was at the corner of Fordham & Hayes...on the southeast corner. There was a grocery store at Saratoga & Hayes on the northwest corner...and another one at maybe Faircrest & Hayes on the southeast corner...that was my route to trudge back and forth to Columbus...until we got up enough courage for a foray into the interior neighborhoods as we angled toward Fordham & Celestine. Re: the grocery store on the southeast corner of Faircrest & Hayes...it was owned by the parents of a friend of mine...Norman Unruh...he'd lost an eye in a BB gun accident...lost track of him after Columbus although for some reason I seem to recall that they moved to Florida...who knows...perhaps he lives next door to SH.

I think with ten career moves and not living in any residence over five years my internal hard drive ran out of memory...I don't recall anything about that prom...when it was held, where we went to dinner, where we.... well never mind that. It was not a long term relationship...but still...its frustrating to not remember. Howsomever...if she is ID'ed...she should not be informed regarding my lack of memory...certainly would not want her to believe that it was not a memorable night...even after 48 years she might not be willing to forgive such a slight.

Too bad about Rocket & KellyRoad...thought they were TAR's!