Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » Mike Vick Coming to Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Vick might play football in Detroit...That is if he does not end up in jail.
Reason for thinking this:
1. Falcons will not keep him
2. Detroit sort of needs a QB
3. We dont have a legit super star
4. Vick is going to a "black" city...The D, Atlanta, or Balti
5. Detroit has the youngest most talented group of WR's in the league...

If this did happen would you want Vick?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5648
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never thought of Michael Vick being that great of a QB. Is he exciting to watch? Sure... when he's scrambling, but as a QB I never thought he could deliver the ball to his receivers that well. His completion percentage isn't that great.

1. So if Atlanta doesn't want him, why should we?
2. The Lions always seem to need a QB. When have we ever been happy with the QB we have? I'm willing to bet you that even Peyton Manning has detractors in Indy so I doubt if there is ever such a thing as a city embracing their team's QB.
3. Roy Williams
4. Is race an issue to play for a team? I'd think he'd play for a winning team regardless if they were green, black, blue or white.
5. And bringing in Vick to throw to these young WRs is a good thing? I don't recall any of his WRs making a ton of catches. Only his TE made more than 40 catches all of last season.

So bluntly put... I don't think Michael Vick would be a good fit here in Detroit. Not saying he's not talented but just not a good fit for our team based upon the criteria you mentioned. And I'm not so sure he's not off to jail- that evidence is pretty heavy it seems and it's not an easy to forgive kind of offense if proven guilty. You'd almost think if he got caught with drugs, gambling or prostitutes he'd get a slap on the wrist and move on.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess he'll be good for the stray dog problem Detroit has.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9655
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy. I agree. when Vick first started at QB the announcers and pretty much everyone else jumped on the bandwagon to state what a great QB he was. Other than scrambling what has he done?

The Lions won't do anything with him either even if they had a chance. The whole org. is so inept! That guy is going to prison and should for a long time.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5657
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if Michael Vick wanted to come here and play running back.. I just MIGHT (slim chance at that) consider it but as QB... no way. I've never been a fan of a QB who thinks run first before throw.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You forgot number 6 reason. Dog fighting lives in the tri county area. Sorry, it's a bad joke. Truthfully, I think Vick has taken his last snap in the NFL.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vick getting the okay from Mr. Ford Sr. has about as much chance as Newt defeating Kwame in the next election.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Charlie Sanders can get through to Vick to straighten him out.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog,
i aint saying i want him to come to the D...Its a possibility.

HE is a very average qb but brings an interesting perspective to the game. To his credit, Atls WR's have sucked beyond belief.

Also, Roy is not a super star. he is a good player but by no means a super star.

super star = lt, P. Manning, Mcnabb, and the list can go on and on.

A comment about Vick:
A friend of mine told me (the day Vick was indicted) someone's prison team just got a hell of a lot better.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5678
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superstars? I'm not so sure just how far that list can go on and on.

Is there even one for every team in the league? I don't even think there are that many marquee players in the NFL and I'm not even so sure Donovan McNabb belongs in that elite class. Pro Bowl (like Roy WIlliams, yes) but superstar? I'll agree on the Peyton Manning call though. Tom Brady maybe? Tomlinson? Urlacher? Again, I think it's tough to deem certain players superstar status because so much depends on the media hype around them as well. That status is very much debatable... and I sure as heck wouldn't exactly toss Vick into that stratosphere.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 705
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as Bo once said, its not individuals its, "The TEAM, THE TEAM, THE TEAM."

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dogg killaq is goin to jail. No foot ball for Vick!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2592
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No way Vick would be allowed to come here on Marinelli's watch. Marinelli IS a Bo-like guy, but obviously one who knows about the passing game.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the receivers we have, we need a QB who can actually throw the ball. That isn't Vick's strongest asset.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A plea deal is allegedly in the works. Stay tuned....

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 803
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he's done in the NFL. All the talk is that he'll at least get a year in prison.

Having Vick on your team would be a PR nightmare for any team in the NFL.

As far as the Lions, they need a QB that can get the ball to their star WR'ers. Not have their star WR'ers block for a QB so he can run down the field.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5727
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems as though Vick is the last defendant to plea a deal and all of the other cohorts have already cut deals to sink Vick. It doesn't sound good for him at all but then if he is guilty of running that racket (supplying the money, the facilities, training/ the dogs and gambling on them)- send 'im up the river.

It'd be one thing if he just bet on this or had a minor hand in this but from the sounds of it, he's in pretty deep and the mountain of evidence is pretty substantial.

I don't know how it's going to turn out for him but as far as the Lions needing someone like him- nah, I don't think so. Not that our direction has been stellar but I know we dont' need this buzzing around Ford Field anytime soon.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like the only way Mike Vick will play football in Michigan is if he's in Milan Federal pen playing on a prison squad-what a lowlife

Smogboy

Post Number: 5751
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remake of The Longest Yard perhaps?

What he did was pretty heinous. He can kiss all of those endorsements and maybe even the opportunity to play in the NFL now. Such a waste of not just his talents, but the money he earned and of those poor animals' lives.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is some talk that a deal has been worked out that Vick would plead guilty , but only as to the Conspiracy count. Could he skate on the gambling, and "cruelty" charges?
Let's see what the Judge says about the plea deal next Monday. I hope he just doesn't sit there and rubber- stamp the agreement made between the Federal AG and Vick's battery of attorneys.
I would think he might first call the parties into his chambers for a "little discussion" before putting the matter on record in open court.
We will see if the good judge has a backbone.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The judge will agree to the deal. It's already sealed and delivered. Once Vicks accepted the plea the feds offered, no other federal charges can be filed. The feds are the ones that offered the deal, not Vicks. He will escape federal charges on the gambling and cruelty charges. That's why Vick confessed to killing several dogs now, he new he could not be charged. However the state of Virginia could, if they want too, charge him with state violations, for the gambling and cruelty charges, but don't expect that to happen.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vick is suspended from the NFL indefinitely.

Good.

James

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.