Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through July 30, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - This dementia plea bargain about NOT remembering anything...like anything....Go back and look at the photo...I need a list of important detail for the investigators.

Supreme Drugs and Fordham is right one....My dad knew "Nate" the owner and in the Denby days they sold cig. called "Frape's" that were probably made in a garage in Toledo but were cigarettes that had green paper not the Kent / Marlboro / Winston white guys.

Check out the Delphi link listed on this forum for both SE and Denby.....I wish I had more time in Detroit on 8/2 as I would head east to Fordham with my brownie for some good pics...but it would only depress you more

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: NUTHING!! I remember NUTHING!! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Well, okay...I do remember a couple of things...but ain't gonna discuss 'em!

Never heard of green cigarettes...I got mine swiping from my dad's package of Pall Mall (sp?). Long and unfiltered...didn't smoke during hockey season though...gotta be some logic there somewhere.

Was on the Denby Delphi link...a few months ago someone had a '60 Navigator to give away...trying to get ahold of her...yeah, you're right about pics of Fordham...I see enough from Earth Watch even if its not real time. The last time I was there...about a decade ago...the street was littered with old furniture, cars...trash...the trees were mostly gone. It was sad.

Goblue

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Have you seen the thread re: sale of riverfront towers? I'm thinking that we need to get serious about acquiring the land for Lakewood Estates...perhaps your band of TC miscreants would be willing to provide financing...at around 2-3%.

Goblue

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Do you recall the name Mary Jane Jones? HarperNottingham on another thread (CCD Caddies) asked me if I knew her...she was his/her mother...born in 1945...a TAR...died young.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't posted on this thread until now, since I'm a dedicated west sider, and graduate of Mackenzie High School ("Hail to thee, Mackenzie High, ever in the lead.....")

Curiously, my wife attended Denby and was a dedicated east sider.

How in the world did we ever get together? Well, she went to work at the AAA office that my mother was the office supervisor, and......

But the point I want to make is that opposites must attract, because anniversary #49 comes up this September.

From this dedicated west sider: You Denby folks aren't all bad, after all...... :-)

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats... 49 years...very nice....

Goblue

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936: West Side!! Mackenzie H.S.!! And here I had been believing that you were an honored member of the DPD and of course by definition an eastsider...now it all comes out!! Well...at least you had the good sense to marry a TAR...although in the high school days we'd have considered that to be stealing one of our women...a capital offense. What year was your wife? Name? Myself...I married a Southeastern H.S. woman...biggest mistake of my life!!

Ray1936

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Name was Marge Eberts, Blue, and she would have been in the class of '56, only she transferred to Allen Park HS for her senior year when her parents moved. They worked at Fords, and moved to AP to be closer to work. Broke a 100-year tradition of east siders.....family line farmed in Erin Township (now Roseville) for decades.

I gotta say from my experience that east siders adapt to the west side much better than vice-versa.

Goblue

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray: She was in-between my sister and me...sis was '51...I was '59...Allen Park was one of those places that was out there somewhere on the westside.

I dunno about eastsiders adapting...I dated a girl from the westside when I was in college...scared the hell out of me to cross Woodward...although I had no trouble driving up and down Brush when my ex was in nurse's training at Harper Hosp. in the very early '60's in my '56 Ford Convertible.

(Message edited by GoBlue on July 27, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brush is still east side, Blue, that's why you didn't have any problem. How'd you make out on Third street, though? :-)

Eastside61

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray: GB had trouble making out in any situation....that is why there is a plaque honoring his making out (Or lack of) at the foot of Lakewood...below Jefferson for you westsiders.....It fact GB has difficulty remembering proms, his dates name.....but he is a Columbus Elementary grad......I think!!!! Go Blue...u da man!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray: You're right...Brush is still east side...on Third I was accompanied by a platoon of USMC.

Pay no attention to ES...he's out on work release...I think currently living in a half way house in San Fran...you know how those folks are!!

Ray1936

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went through SF twice. It was like being on the east side with hills. Nasty.

Eastside61

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray - GB: Those Stags and mountain boys still have trouble handling no Humidity or insects like I have to do here....I will continue to suffer here south of SF in Los Altos Hills.....

Blue - 6 days to go...just got another message from a Spartan who will also be at the North Peak Brewery on the 2nd...ironically he taught at Mackenzie from '66 to about '70 but never could adjust to the WESTSIDE....He is still highly medicated from that experience 40 years ago....

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any of you "older" Tars have a year book that can tell me if Ted Dodenhoff was qb of the football team around 1952? He then went to Michigan and became a plastic surgeon. His dad was with the Detroit Fire Dept.

Goblue

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock: Sorry...don't go back quite that far...I was '59...sister graduated in '51...I called her but she doesn't have her yearbooks. I will say that the name sure sounds familiar.

ES: Geez...I keep forgetting (or blocking from my mind) that the TC mob is made up of a bunch of Spartans...ohmigawd, what if she's a Spartan?!?!? Maybe I shoulda asked SH to the prom!

Ray: Gotta agree with ES...can't imagine settling on the westside...especially if it was down river...although the word around the eastside during high school days was that the girls on the westside were a lot "friendlier"... only checked that rumor that one time during college...I did live in Troy for a couple years in the mid-'80's...but that probably doesn't count.

Goblue

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: All right...now you've done it!! That comment about "banana hats" on the Servite thread did it...according to the bylaws of the M alumni club I'm duty bound to report any such transgressions...you'll receive a visit from the prez of the Bay Area M Club...Wally Wojahowski...former All-American wrestler...he'll discuss the glorious and unique helmets worn by the Victors whom we hail.

You are right about the Lutheran thing...its taken me 35 years to shed the mantle...it was primarily Italian around Fordham & Celestine...mostly Assumption Grotto-Norte Dame/Regina kids who didn't have to go to school on all of those saints days while we public school kids had to work our butts off. One of the girls who lived next door was my age...both families about when nuts when we started rubbing noses...Catholic-Lutheran bigotry was alive and well in both directions.

Eastside61

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - "We started rubbing noses and then we started.........WHAT? and then we ???? Good thing Columbus was our Italian Public School and I remember when the neighbors found out that we DID NOT take the GA News.......the whole street didn't speak to us for weeks.....

All the total foxes went to MSU except SH.......she wanted to be there when you started Grad School...(cough)

Wally was captain of the u OF m chess and debate club....and was autistic but could he paint bananas on Helmets......Visual Learner......I learned all that stuff from WMU guys over the years.

Goblue

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: DC and I never got much past noses...the families were both going batshit! It wasn't worth the crap...she was Regina...there were other fish (or foxes) in the TAR sea.

Well...some of the foxes went to MSU...more than a few went to WMU...the word around the WMU campus was that it was possible to walk across the Red Cedar because of all the condoms floating in it...my best friend was dating...and ultimately married a Spartan for five years...he still swears the rumor was true.

Okay...don't say I didn't warn ya when Wally shows up...calluses on the backs of his hands and all. He'll have ya singing "Hail to the Victors".

Eastside61

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - First Waldo (His real name) Waldo is actually a grad of Lutheran East and got into the u OF m on a dominoes scholarship full ride of $69.00

As for the Red Cedar: as I think back I do remember people and other unnamed objects bouncing off of the river. Actually the flow of the river was determined by which way the wind was blowing - Other than that it was an ecological dream and many a good night was experienced no matter what the weather.

I have been playing Shirley Ellis's version of the NAME GAME over and over in getting ready for 8/2. One of my CSI investigators reports that her picture was sighted in a post office in Bad Axe, MI...

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember my mom? Mary Jane Jones, Denby Class of 1962 or '63? Thin, white girl with short brown hair and a hitch in her giddyup. Had polio as a girl and walked a bit unorthodox as a result. She lived on the corner of Mayfield and Celestine, between Hayes and Chalmers.

Senior
Username: Senior

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock:

Yes, Ted Dodenhoff was on the Denby Football team, graduated in Jan.53.

I last saw Ted at our 50th reunion. He lives in B.C., but winters in Arizona. My reunion book lists phone #'s if you want to contact him, let me know.

Senior
Denby '53

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Sr. Ted was a fraternity brother of mine at Michigan. We had a few from Denby and Redford. I will let my brother know of his whereabouts as they went to med school together in AA.

Goblue

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senior - Rock: Do you know if Dr. Dodenhoff stayed in the AA area after med school? I lived in AA for about 10 years starting in the mid-70's...the name sounds familiar. Do you know his specialty? Likely he winters in the Phoenix area...most sunbirds do...we live about 2 hours north in Prescott...much better year 'round climate.

ES: You have GOT to get back on your meds!! And...take some extras for the misguided group of Spartan miscreants gathering in TC this week. By the way I read that the Michigan National Guard will be holding maneuvers in TC starting tomorrow for the next two weeks... should be fun! Don't forget to pack your mosquito repellent...West Nile virus is widespread through that area.

Later...gotta go muck horses...that's clean the stalls for you Bay area folk.

Eastside61

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Maybe the Prom queen is hanging around the MI Nat guard. As for horses ours left the property in 2001 - Youngest daughter grad. from UCSB ('01) and moved to SF actually....so no one was riding them...one horse is now living in Nebraska and one in Marin County north of SF.....Loved having them and shoveling was good therapy.....barn /paddock still houses two goats and about 10 chickens and 2 ducks....It helps at tax time to have dependents....

Goblue

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Hmmmm...must be something about growing up on the eastside that caused us to yearn for an agricultural lifestyle...I'm thinking about applying for federal agricultural price support money...we've got lots of mushrooms coming up on the manure pile. You're right...shoveling is good therapy...I keep saying that I spent a career shoveling horseshit in school districts and here I am doing it again just a little more literally. We go out riding 2-3 times a week...Sandy is out with a girlfriend riding on the mountain in the national forest as we speak...starting to thunder...the mountain is a bad place to be when the lightning starts. We can ride directly from our house into the national forest/wilderness or onto a neighbor's ranch that's about 30 sq. miles.

My oldest granddaughter (11 yr.) is getting into horses...told my son-in-law to get one for her...that girls transition from dolls to horses to boys and that the longer you can keep the horse phase going the better...don't think he believes me...says he's gonna get a shotgun to keep the boys away...it'll never work! Hell, Officer H. kept his .38 handy and it didn't slow you down!

BTW...hope you're not flying NW to Detroit...saw that they've been canceling lots of flights.

Eastside61

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - flying Spirit.....Spirit!!!!...known airline for sure but it is a DIRECT - like non stop to DTW....known non stops to DTW are very rare....except for those leaving DTW.....like it leaves at 10:30 pm here on the west coast and arrives at 6:30 am....cannot lose anytime when one is doing investigative work for a Fordham Brother......

Goblue

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Ah yes...the good 'ol west coast red eye. Spirit airlines?!? Is that an open cockpit flight? Don't forget to take your leather helmet with you...and an oxygen bottle. My body won't tolerate those kinds of flights anymore...did it too many times flying back to Detroit from Anchorage.

Eastside61

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I have been to nervous over the eventual disclosure of her name to even check out the weather for TC....I cannot give up a day for travel and being of the '61 class you older guys ('59) need your rest...well you get it....!!! What were you doing in AA...??? making snow angels - forts - and ??? What ??? Working in Education???

Goblue

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You got a point...time for the afternoon nap!

I got to AA in '75...was director of research and evaluation for the AA Schools...moved to Manchester Schools (about 25 miles SW of AA) as superintendent in '79...was there until '86. Lived in AA...it was like driving back 30 years in time every day that I made the trip to Manchester.

Where are you staying TC?...I'll arrange to have "Hail to the Victors" piped into the restaurant and elevators. Won't it be GREAT if she's a Wolverine!!! I knew she was a bright girl when she accepted the prom date.