Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Ex-Detroit players we still follow « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5693
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it when certain players leave our Detroit teams here, we still follow them with morbid curiosity?

Prime example is Joey Harrington; he left here two years ago and people still follow his exploits (he's in Atlanta now) for better or worse. Sergei Fedorov and Ben Wallace are other examples.

Who else do we follow?

(I've noticed this is akin to keeping tabs on an ex even though you've long been broken up)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's not unique to Detroit. Often in the NY area sports news you'll hear how former-Yankees or Mets are doing, like Mike Piazza and Andy Pettite when he was with the Astros. It may not be to the degree of obsessiveness of Detroit, but it's there.

Personally, I give more respect to athletes who are identified with one team. I've tried to participate in Fantasy League Football and Baseball, but have trouble with all these players from different teams being on the same lineup.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5706
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ex-Lion WR Mike Williams even gets ink...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070813/SPO RTS01/70813010/1048/SPORTS

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote Joey Harington the Luckiest Former Detroiter Ever. dude signs a lotto winning size contract with the Lions. Sucks. Gets picked up as a backup QB in Miami. Big Money new free agent Dante Cullpepper gets injured and all of a sudden big Joe gets to play again. looks good for a game and great for another (Thanks Giving). Gets cut by Miami and picked up as a backup for Vick in Atlanta. True to form, Vick gets tied up in some bizarre scandal. guess who gets to start at QB again... Joey Harington, Luckiest Ex-Detroiter Ever. Personally I would not want to be the starting QB on which ever tema he goes to next. it's a curse...

Raptor56

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of former players we still follow:

Chris Osgood (for a few years while he wandered away from home)

Dennis Rodman

Marty Morniweg (sp) Plenty of stories about him last year when we played Philly.

Whatever happend to Wayne "can't believe I look like a great coach now" Fontes??

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor...last I heard, Wayne "Can't believe I look like a great coach now" Fontes was living large in Florida. We couldn't wait to run his ass out of town when he was coaching here, but compared to the head coaches we've seen since he left, he looks like Vince Lombardi by comparison. Win or lose, he was always a decent guy and I'm glad he landed on his feet.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5737
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good ol' Wayne O! He was always a pretty happy-go-lucky friendly sort of guy on and off the field. Regardless of his winning percentage as a coach here, I think most Lions fans still like the guy because he was so friendly and candid. How could you not like that big teddy bear of a guy?

Ever notice no one really cares to ask about the likes of Bobby Ross, Gary Moeller, Dick Jauron, etc.?? They're all stiffs compared to Fontes.

Raptor56

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby Ross was alright. Gary and Dick hardly count. They only lead the great sinking ship for a handful of games each. Gary Moeller had winning potential, and as a result didn't fit the Bill Ford coaching mold, so he had to be let go for the preeminent Marty "no touchdowns his first 6 games" Morningweg.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5770
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking back at things I think Marty is a pretty savvy guy. I just think he was just too full of himself when he got here. Talk about a guy that promised us the moon- ouch! He's said enough ridiculous things and some pretty pompous boasts to the point where WDFN practically made a living just playing his drops. It seems as though he's a better QB coach than a head coach.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It seems as though [Morningweg]'s a better QB coach than a head coach.

The same could be said about Martz, as a matter of fact.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5774
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hope that's true here. Martz seemed to have done well in St. Louis with the likes of Warner & Bolger.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5786
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So are we going to be following Craig Monroe out of the corner of our eye now that he's been dealt to the Cubs? Are we going to be kicking ourselves if he hits .330 one day?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 966
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone following eric munson these days?

Smogboy

Post Number: 5837
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks as though the local rags have picked up on Phil Garner getting the heave-ho.

Raptor56

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Buddy Bell at these days?

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um...in the other dugout tonight.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still see Craig Monroe striking out on SportsCenter.....

Smogboy

Post Number: 5854
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that Mike Maroth just got put on the DL with an 11 something ERA. Poor guy. Still a class individual though.

Raptor56

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Buddy Bell was fired late last season. my bad...

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's leaving after this season, if I remember correctly...

Raptor56

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep. deciding to retire again after this season, according to the interview last night. somehow though, I don't think his job is as enviable as he was claiming (unless they are playing the tigers).

Smogboy

Post Number: 5883
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously Darko still has a few things to say as well...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070905/SPO RTS03/70905087/1002/rss02&imw= Y

Oooo!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5966
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a good News story about ex-Tiger good guy, Rondell White.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070924/U PDATE/709240460

Smogboy

Post Number: 6276
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Williams of the failed Millen draft has bombed out again...
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071101/S PORTS0101/711010415/1004

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still follow Craig Monroe.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once in a while I'll check out where the various members of the Tigers class of '03 are. Guys like Warren Morris, Danny Patterson, or Kevin Witt. You know, the household names.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 534
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I still follow Craig Monroe.

You may get to see him more often, now that he's back in the AL Central
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/articl e.jsp?ymd=20071113&content_id= 2299500&vkey=hotstove2007&fext =.jsp

Smogboy

Post Number: 6442
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he Monroe continues to hit around that hideous .219, we might never see him again. I hope he does well in Minnesota (except when they play us).

I still wish the guy luck though. He provided some fine moments for us a few seasons ago.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like Omar, only with more power, Monroe is the classic fastball hitter. Hopefully Tiger pitchers saw enough of him lunging weakly at those down and away curve balls to know how to pitch him in 08.

By the way, I read that the Cards released Mike Maroth last week. Just a comment, nice guy but I don't want him back.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9474
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

poor poor Darko...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081203/O PINION03/812030316/1004

Smogboy

Post Number: 9520
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to go Chuck...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081208/M ETRO/812080410/1361

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.