Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Archive through March 06, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the day Denby was the "in" high school. The Eastside rocked at Pippo's, Lombardi's, Red Carpet, Duchess Drive-In and E. Warren Lanes. The Eastside meant Denby v. Pershing, Denby v. Redford or Cooley and then the city championship games.....So are there any Tars left in the area?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4019
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not me, but my whole family went there. My parents, uncles aunts and cousins all went there.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a school called Anchor Bay and we were the Tars. I knew a guy who went to Denby in the 90's I couldnt believe that there was another school with the Tars as their name! GO TARS!!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom went to Denby, she showed me the drivers training course once, and my response was, "no wonder you can't drive"

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 327
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not an alumni but lived close enough to play Rec League and Kiwanis baseball in the summers. Add to that hacking away on the tennis courts and handball off the walls by the courts, and afternoon and evening swims in the pool. Yup the "road course" too for Driver's Ed. Hopped the fence many of times to see the likes of Ed Buddie (KC CHIEFS) play in the late 50's?/early 60's. Guessing 25% of grade school GA...went there.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a Denby Tar myself (BG Lancer '75), but I do have Denby memories: Thursday evening swim classes sponsored by the Girl Scouts, Drivers Ed taught by Mr. Majewski (who gave me great parallel parking skills!!), and a family friend Bill Solomon who taught there.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rollins College's athletic team in Florida are called the Tars too

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen...anyone...people are aware of CLASSMATES?....INTELLIUS? You got me to Intellius months ago!

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just did Drivers Ed at Denby. In the sixties it was state of the art. You had the traffic signals just like on the streets.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider:

When did you go to Anchor Bay? I'm a Tar from the class of 96.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from Denby High in '67.

Funny thing about the school nickname is that I didn't know until years, make that decades, after graduating that tars' is short for tarpaulin, a nickname for sailors from the sailing epoch. I knew Denby had a nautical link from Edwin Denby (was he secretary or assistant secretary of the Navy, and what years?), but I thought Tars came from what sailors put on the hulls of wooden ships as a sealant, that a tar' was a nickname akin to the present day Navy "deck apes," personnel who do ship maintenance.

An historic footnote regarding Denby High. The day JFK was assassinated Denby beat Harper Woods Norte Dame High 7-0 for the city high school football championship. It was decided to play the game about six hours after JFK died.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edwin Denby was "appointed Secretary of the Navy by President Harding and served from March 4, 1921, until March 10, 1924, when he resigned in the aftermath of the Teapot Dome scandal..."

Here's the official Congressional biography on Edwin Denby: http://bioguide.congress.gov/s cripts/biodisplay.pl?index=D00 0232

Patrick

Post Number: 4024
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby had a grand home in Indian Village and is buried in Elmwood.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to a photo of the Edwin Denby home in Indian Village:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7 1288712@N00/372815227/

Kathleen

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, the Edwin Denby Memorial plaque by sculptor Samuel Cashwan is mounted on the exterior west wall of the Brodhead Armory on East Jefferson.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,
When's the last time you were in Clark School? I would love to take a walk down those halls again.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby , Anchor Bay and Dakota all in a high school playoff. Who do you root for? To be politically correct, GO TARS!!

Chitaku

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you go to dakota?

Kathleen

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu64,

It's been years since I was inside Clark School. I have great memories of playing baseball with my younger brothers and their friends on the playground behind the school. I was a pretty good baseball player and even hit one over the fence once! I've been by the school building a couple times in the last 5 years to take photos and see the old neighborhood. I actually spent the first 3 years of my life living on the 3900 block of Berkshire, a half block down from Clark's front doors.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen - Was Clark in the Denby attendance area or Southeastern's attendance area? My father hit one over the fence in the early 30's at the Clark school playground.

Cklwbig8
Username: Cklwbig8

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have photos of Denby high? i heard there were lots of Italians at that school am i correct ? being it was located lower east side. where exactly was this school?. I was at Detroit antique mall the other day and saw a Denby highschool flag from 50's or 60's. very cool

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents as well as an uncle went to Denby. They were classmates with Ed Budde who went on to play in the NFL, Carmella Sabaugh - a longtime local politician and Jerry Hodak - longtime weatherman. A Denby flag still hangs in the basement of my parent's home.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clark School was closer to Finney HS when I was growing up. It may have been in the Southeastern district prior to Finney being built.

Patrick

Post Number: 4026
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad told me about the indoor track around the gym. He also said that they had to swim naked in the pool for gym class and the pool had a wall divider over it. He said the teacher had to “inspect” each guy before they went into the pool. Now that is disgusting as hell.

My mom said there were hall monitors and they were dorks that liked to be the class pets. The school itself is huge with three floors. My aunt was saying how her classes were held in the hallways because the school was so packed. This was in 1958 or so.

My mom had to walk from Collingham and Boulder to and from Denby everyday. Now that is one long walk!!!

Mom graduated in June of 1965 and dad was the winter of 64.

Eastside61

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpic - when did your parents attend Denby? Ed Budde was a classmate of mine. I knew J. Hodak. Ty Fahner who became the attorney general for the State of Illinois. Tom Tuschak who now lives in Florida was a local educational leader.

Patrick -In 1958 enrollment went over 3000. Swimming in nude is right and so were inspections. Indoor track meets were in late March or early April before going outside. Had a friend (Jeff Williams) who lived in the Collingham / Boulder area...in fact on Collingham

Patrick

Post Number: 4028
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom grew up on Collingham and can name everyone on the block. My grandfather and uncle lived right next door to each other on the north side of the street. the lived on the block with all the colonials and Cape Cods.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone know Al Fischone/ Renee Iaquinta? class of 74 I believe

(Message edited by chi-taku on February 12, 2007)

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom grew up at 15834 Lappin. Her and her brother both went to Denby, I think she graduated in 58 or59. She told me about Ed Budde, his son Brad also went on to the NFL. She also said one of the Hoffa's went there. I think his name was William, class president at one time. He may have been Jimmy's nephew. Her brother, Bob Weber went on to a world champion roller skating dance champion. She also said that back then there were so many students, that they graduated in Jan. and June.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61:

I think these dates are correct:

Dad - 56
Mom - 59
Uncle - 61

The Tom Tuschak you mentioned, did he deal in baseball cards in the 1970's?

I remember watching Brad Budde (Ed's son) on TV when he played for USC and then the Chiefs.

Cklwbig8

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

again.. can someone tell me where Denby was/is and what percentage was italian

Kathleen

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby High School was located at 12800 Kelly Rd. (at Seymour) between Whittier and Morang.

Google Map: http://www.google.com/maps?hl= en&q=denby+high+school&near=De troit,+MI&cid=0,0,159386547317 15505823&ll=42.424847,-82.9604 19&spn=0,.02&iwstate1=dir:to&i wloc=A&f=d&daddr=12800+Kelly+R d,+Detroit,+MI+48224,+USA&sa=X &oi=local&ct=directions-to

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby is located at the T of Seymour(6 Mile) and Kelly. I heard rumors of a closing after they built the huge school complex on Heilmann field ( between Maddelein and State Fair and between Crusade and Brock). In the 40's through 60's era I understand there were a high percentage of Italians, even into the 70's. I remember growing up in the 70's and early 80's with alot of Italians. Stefani's, Lupo's, Virga's, Milano's, etc. Also there were a good concentration of Slovaks, Germans and Polish. It was a very diverse area at that time.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I shouldn't have said "was". Denby High School is very much still there!!!

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did drivers ed at Denby. Chyrsler donated or loaned the cars we used. Remember trying to drive a Charger at 10mph around the course. Hed to ride the break the whole time.

Al_t_publican

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cklwbig8:
Where is the antique shop you saw the Denby flag?

Patrick

Post Number: 4031
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the Walmart on 12 and Van Dyke they sell local High School blankets. they have all the Warren schools as well as several Detroit High Schools. I got my parents a Denby one.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandpa went to Denby. He was born in 1925. So, class of 43? He died in 1981...

Chitaku

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsiders 1953 no wonder we ended up in Macomb

Patrick

Post Number: 4032
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told be several folks that the school started going downhill around 78 or so.

Cklwbig8

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Kathleen !

Cklwbig8

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al_t_publican .. I saw the Denby flag at Detroit Antique mall behind old Cass Tech Highschool. great place !!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannaroo

Anchor Bay 1999

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom graduated Denby 1949, her sister in 50 or 51. Anyone know Luise or Margaret Bisinger?

Eastside61

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't remember if it was Freddy Schultz or Tom Tuschak who ran around on the roof of Lombardi's impersonating Zorro one Wednesday night until old man Lombardi came out and was threatening to call the cops (circa 1960)..... Seems that Wednesday nights were for socializing and not studying and hanging out at Lombardi's ( most of the time inside) or Pippo's on E. Warren and Kensington......

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Chitaku...my family has been Eastside since they landed in this city more than a century back.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

same here about a century back from Italy

Eastside61

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby 'Tars': The most distinctive article of naval dress was, and still is, the square collar. This arose from the fact that 18th century sailors did not cut their hair short, but held it in a tarred pigtail (this is why sailors were often referred to as ‘Tars’ or ‘Jack Tars’). This pigtail would stain the back and collar of the sailors good ‘going ashore’ jacket, so the practice was to tie a piece of blue denim over the collar of the jacket to protect it from the tar.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby had many great people, including teachers and coaches that has left lifetimes of memories...bias yes Class of 77....great lifelong memories...many of our class went on to college and got advanced degrees the ones that didn't did many great things also. The school was a mosaic in the late seventies and was a lot of fun...parking lot parties, dances the whole nine yards. My class was the first to have a prom at the ren cen....my cousin moved out recently...the last person I knew in the whole neighborhood...grew up on wayburn and attend Arthur and GA.

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am a 1966 graduate of harper woods notre dame and was in attendance at both the 1963 and 1965 goodfellow games (65 was a 14-14 tie.

the state [layoffs are nice, but cannot compare to the goodfellow game.

i have an uncle (now deceased) that was a dpd detective and graduated from denby, probably in the late 1930s. his name is oliver rowell.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3149
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Denby Tar is a soaring soul
As free as a mountain bird
His energetic fist should be ready to resist
A dictatorial word
His nose should pant and his lip should curl
His cheeks should flame and his brow should furl
His bosom should heave and his heart should glow
And his fist be ever ready for a knock-down blow

His eyes should flash with an inborn fire
His brow with scorn be wrung
He never should bow down to a domineering frown
Or the tang of a tyrant tongue
His foot should stamp and his throat should growl
His hair should curl and his face should scowl
His eyes should flash and his breast protrude
And this should be his customary attitude

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my uncle went to Denby! Ron Jones. Class of 64

(Message edited by pgn421 on February 26, 2007)

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My stepmom (and I think her 3 sisters) went to Denby. Class of 66. Didn't I see something in Sunday's paper about a "reunion" for the classes from the 60s & 70s??

Gibran

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Lewis was our track coach (1975-77) and he was a great influence on us as well as Mr. Mathis x-country (great man with immense values)....These gentlemen cared about our character when we were exploring ways to bend it....Denby had great families....

Al_t_publican

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the current student body number at Denby? When I graduated from there in '67 I think it was around 2500.

Any old Tars know what the student numbers where in the mind '60s during when us baby boomers were working to achieve something other than a GED?

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to the two posts about the Goodfellow games, Denby vs. Notre Dame:

I was at both games, 63 and 65. I remember in 63 I was still in grade school. My mom took my brother, sister, and me to the game on a bus the evening of November 22, 1963. It was very surreal, going to a game while the whole country was mourning the death of JFK.

Both games were cool. They were called the "Battle of Kelly Road". It often was friend against friend. I went to Notre Dame, but all of my friends went to Denby. The tie in 65 was like kissing your sister. It didn't feel bad, but it was not very satisfying.

Eastside61

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enrollment: 1958 was over 3000. Freshmen did not start school until 1:30 and went to school until 4:30, except on days that there were football or basketball games. The opening of Finney reduced the numbers in the early 60's.

Al_t_publican

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman,
Denby won in '63, 7-0, right?

Eastside,
I was in retail co-op in 11th and 12th grade at Denby. I worked at Flagg Brothers shoes on Gratiot and 7 Mile. I had great school hours during those two years, 0840 to 1130. I got to leave Denby at 1130 even when I didn't have to go to work at that time.

I bought two cars during that time with my own money, a 57 Ford convert and and '57 Olds convert. And I still didn't get laid!

Goirish1966

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jokerman:

in what year did you graduate from nd??

are you on our alumni e-mail listing, and if not, please e-mail me @ goirish1966@woway.com for inclusion,

our annual basketball tournament is this weekend at bishop foley.

jim

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al_t_publican:
I believe that you have the correct score. I included a link to a great Michigan HS football site. For some reason, I couldn't get the ND or Denby page to load today to verify the score. Normally it works just fine.

http://www.michigan-football.c om/

Goirish1966: I'm class of 68. I am on the mailing list. I live in San Diego, so I can't take part in the tournament.

Goirish1966

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jokerman: good to hear that you are on our list.

Al_t_publican: the 1963 score was 7-0 and the 1965 score was a 14-14 tie.

i was at both games.

Gibran

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby in the seventies was really a fun and progressive school. When I think of how many good friends and classmates, that are etched into my memory. We did lose a great one last year . Mike Mcleod, went to school at denby, returned and coached and then went to coach at GPHS...I remember him with loving memories. We went to high school and college together, even in the same frat...A great friend who I wish him peace...js 77

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom has her yearbook in her hand and says in June, 1949 graduating class was 567.

Here's a story she is telling me:

After a winning home football game '47 or '48 a group of students started a "snake dance" line which grew and grew and grew. They danced in this line all the way down to the Civic Center before dispersing. She says there must have been at least a hundred kids and they went into a bar and she was freaking out because, "oh my god, we're in a BAR!".

She says that's how we celebrated a win in those days, now they turn over cars! It's a different world!

Gibran

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must have been the bar that on st. Pat's day I saw my own nuns from GA inside...no wonder we dreaded the afternoon schedules...

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from Denby in Jan.'59...still have all four of my yearbooks and my letter sweater...played on a recreation league hockey team at Marquette (?) Park (at Seven Mile & Morang) that won the city championship in '59...I remember the game well because I took some stitches in the face as the result of a high stick...also played on the golf team for Denby...caddied at the C.C. of Detroit...had a job after school in the darkroom at Fox Portrait Studio near Six Mile and Gratiot...Ed Budde was a classmate...my sometimes girlfriend went to S'Eastern...ended up marrying her (BIG mistake)after college...left Detroit to go to W.M.U...came back and worked in Warren until '69 and then left to wander the country professionally for the next 35 years, until I settled in AZ a few years ago...great memories of a great city in the '50's & '60's...my dad was a member of the Detroit PD...the folks are buried in Mt. Olivet...right across Gratiot from where the police station he worked at used to be...the Tom Tuschak mentioned earlier was (I think) an assistant high school principal somewhere in St. Clair Shores and had a baseball card business on the side...I used to hang out (so to speak) at Balduc Park with his older sister...I logged on to Google Earth and was shocked to see what had happened to my old neighborhood around 7 mile & Gratiot...most of the houses including the one that I grew up in are gone...sad really.

Eastside61

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - why that name for a Bronco of WMU. Sounds like you played hockey at Heilmann. Do you remember the Osborne Brothers ( Jim and Al) or the Cooper brothers ( Bill and Dave) and even Tom Tuschak gave out and took a few hip checks playing hockey. What street did you stay on close to Seven and Gratiot?
I am sure you remember the Duchess Drive In on Morang...

Goblue

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61...did grad school at M...had great undergrad fun at WMU...cried when the four years ended...I knew the party was over...got married and started work...should have followed my first dream and accepted the commission in the Navy...oh yeah, that's right..Heilmann Park...Marquette is close to Balduck...didn't know that Tom played hockey...like I said I was closer to his older sister Sharon...we lived on Fordham a block from Chalmers...first block south of 7 Mile...oh yeah, remember the Duchess Drive In...and a place called Burkemo's out at 9 Mile & Lakeshore...owned by a pro golfer...had a driving range and hitting cage plus some kind of food...don't recall anyone named Cooper but the name Osborne sort of rings a bell...got to thinking too about the cemetery...my folks are buried at Gethsemane on Gratiot...my grandparents are at Mr. Olivet...got them mixed up...still have a sister who lives in G.P....

Eastside61

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - I lived on Eastwood and then Mapleridge close to Morang. Burkemo's was the best in the summer. How about Bill Rheame the golf coach at Denby? My brother graduated from Denby in 58....

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cousin Ron Berger played football at Denby and Wayne State; later played in the NFL with Patriots for a couple of years in late 60s/early 70s.

Goblue

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61...Bill Rheame was my golf coach...I remember a match when I lost my cool and threw a putter from a green...he made me sit out the next week...told me that golf was a gentleman's game and that I needed to behave like one...never forgot that lesson. Had a lot of friends in the class of '58...Tom Blakely, Dale Robinson, Janet _______?....what was your brother's name? Also had a good buddy who lived on Mapleridge about a block from Morang...Dennis Elvidge...also knew a girl named Diane Kordich who lived right about there.

Taj920...by the late '60's I was headed back to the Kalamazoo area for a job and then on to the world in the early '70's...was in Birmingham, AL in '72...an interesting time...wasn't paying much attention to the NFL in those years.

Eastside61

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - Brother is Bob Emling. Dennis lived across the street and Diane about four doors down the street. Rheame was also the athletic director and was in my face when when the tennis team picture '60 came back with me wearing a camp Hiawatha shirt ...Not a happy man...Did you ever go to Pippo's or Lombardi's on E. Warren?

Goblue

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61...remembered your brother's name...looked him up in my '58 yearbook...I remember him but can't say that we were friends...Yup, spent lots of time at Lombardi's...great pizza...I don't recall Pippo's...where was it located? Bill Rheame was a taskmaster for sure...I'm certain that he's gone now...he was an old man in those days, hell he must have been at least 45...lolol. I saw Dennis back in 1984 at a Columbus Elementary reunion for the 8th grade class of '55...that was the last I saw or heard of that group. The last I knew of Diane she was an art professor at NMU. She worked for me in the last '60's in Warren Woods. How about you...still living in the Detroit area?