Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » Jose Offerman suspended and charged with assault « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Offerman, playing for the Long Island Ducks, was arrested on assault charges. The independent Atlantic League suspended him indefinitely Wednesday and expected to make a final decision by the end of the week. At 38, Offerman was hoping a strong showing with the Ducks might boost his career. He was hitting .335, and sent the first pitch of Tuesday night's game sailing into the net beyond the left-field fence for a home run.

When he came up again the next inning, he got hit in the left leg by Beech's second pitch.

That's when Offerman went wild.

"I knew it was intentional because the catcher, he said something to me, and when he hit me I realized he did it on purpose," Offerman said. "I overreacted, I ran to the mound with my bat in my hand."

So it's ok for a pitcher to throw a 90mph fastball on purpose and hit you but if you retaliate with a bat it's considered assault?
When will charges be charged against the pitcher for assault and since the benches cleared he should also be charged with inciting a riot.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/08/15/offerman_arrested_after_bat_attack/?page=1

(Message edited by rockcity2windycity on August 16, 2007)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 718
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the way the games played, and has been for over 1 hundred years. This Offerman guy went way over the limit and he can kiss his return to the big leagues good bye.

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's also been the law for over 100 years that if you intentionally hit someone with an object that's assault. The law doesn't end when you step between the lines. Didnt you just see the minor league first base coach that was killed by a line drive? That wasn't intentional, throwing a ball at a batter at 90+ mph can kill or do serious damage to a player. Offerman should've been charged but baseball needs to stop these pitchers from intentionally going after batters just because they got the best of them the previous time up. "Thats the way the games played, and has been for over 1 hundred years" is a weak argument. That was the same argument they used before the league was integrated, thankfully people werent afraid of common sense and progress. I guarantee if Offerman ever plays another game no one else will try to end his career by throwing at him

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 719
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must be his lawyer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.