Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » 56 years ago today in Tigers history... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 884
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aug. 19, 1951
The Detroit Tigers pitch to the first midget.

Bill Veeck, owner of the St. Louis Browns, sent 3'7" Eddie Gaedel in to bat against the Detroit Tigers.
Tigers catcher Bob Swift was rumored to have offered his pitcher a piece of strategy: "Keep it low."
It didn't work: Gaedel walked on four pitches.
Major League Baseball then quickly passed a rule that all players had to be at least 4'8" tall.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 808
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://images.art.com/images/p roducts/large/10125000/1012596 5.jpg

His number was 1/8.

They should have just hit him, but I wonder if they were thinking about a child abuse charge.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swift told Eddie that if he swang the bat then snipers would fire at him. I read about it in the baseball history book

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Veeck, as in wreck.......

Legend has it that he once got a letter from a young Fidel Castro asking for a tryout.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I listened to that game. Harry Heilman was the announcer, and he had a mixture of amusement and wonderment at the event. I didn't quite realize what had happened until I read the next day's Detroit Times.......

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.