Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Tiger Talk 2007 » Archive through August 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some good news. The Tigers signed Porcello.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/ news/story?id=2974338

Scs100

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, barring a meltdown in the bottom of the 10th, this is looking really good. Maggs does it again, right after Sheffield knocks in the go ahead run.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3585
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only the biggest win of the year, but also possibly one of the best executed games.

They earnestly got themselves back into the game while Bondo settled down and pitched his game. Granderson made another gold glove play. Rodney pitched in 2006 form. Multiple clutch hits in the 10th, including Magglio padding his MVP numbers.

Good stuff!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yusssssssss!

<--holder of field boxes at Yankee Stadium for the 8/16 game.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5714
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Impressive victory to say the least. It was nice to see Bonderman settle into a groove and pitch lights out after the first. He was strong and didn't seem rattled which was nice to see. He had his stuff working tonight and got great ball movement to get 8Ks. It was definitely an epic battle between two outstanding pitchers. CC Sabathia was keeping the Indians in the game as well, but sooner or later the Tigers' potent line up was sure to touch him up. We didn't use the long ball to win this one (Magg's long ball was a nice clincher though) but it was a series of timely hits. It showed grit which was nice.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3587
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Win tomorrow and we can go into NYC with some swagger.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man!! The Tigers' clubhouse may have some kind of nasty little virus running around in it, but it sure is obvious that the over-all slump-funk is gone. Very, very nice. And, a BIG thumbs-up to Fernando Rodney.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5715
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Ravine. Rodney's been pitching like a stud as of late. Since he gave up that double, he struck out the next three and got out of the inning. I'm still surprised that the Indians didn't try to bunt and sacrifice the runner over to third. Fine fine...Jhonny (I've always hated the spelling of his name) Peralta doesn't bunt well but isn't that what pinch hitters are for? I think the Indians botched this one; not that I mind but baseball smarts would've probably put him on 3B with one down, sacrifice deep and bring the guy in to win the game.

That being done with, the Tigers still played hard and tough. They came through and you could tell that as hurt as Sheffield was, he was determined to drive in the winning run. He also had that look of "I'm gonna get me 2B if it kills me" when the Indians infield got tightened. Fortunately Sheff didn't have to steal when Magglio went yard and sent the Tribe faithful streaming towards the exits.

Bravo Tigers!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rodney looks outstanding. He looks more confident than I've ever seen him this year. Which is saying something, because as normal guys go, Rodney never looks "confident". But he does these last what, 7 games(?) or so.

Anyone else get the feeling that Maggs has not only decided to reassert himself in the MVP candidacy, but also to put this team on his back offensively?

Scs100

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even better, the Yankees lost and the Mariners are on the way down at the hands of the Twins. Even if we botch a couple down the road, this game could pay big dividends if we have to go for the Wild Card (and I certainly hope we don't).

Smogboy

Post Number: 5716
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I've often asserted, grab the lead, keep the lead and don't look over your own shoulder.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 802
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If MLB had a Cy Young award for the 2nd inning on I think Bonderman would be a lock to win it. I can't remember a pitcher that struggles in the 1st inning like he does.

What a catch by Granderson. I think his best so far when you consider the game is probably over if he doesn't make the catch.

It'll be interesting to see how Jurrjens does tonight.

Ravine

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nando-Rod was super, indeed, even though we are talking about getting only three outs. He does look confident-- even more than usual, and he always looks sure of himself-- but I couldn't help noticing, and being amused by, the way he looked on the way back to the dugout. He wiped the sweat off his brow, somewhat forcefully, and had a "Jesus CHRIST I can't believe how long that took" look on his face.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

grilli is on myspace posting emails people send him about how he sucks and asking folks to bombard the guy with emails. maybe he should worry more about his pitching talents

Ravine

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, the fact that he is doing that shows us something about Grilli. For him to involve even that much mental energy with something like that, when the Tigers are in the middle of the season and have a game TONIGHT, is just sad. It is obvious that he is going through what is, even for him, a rough spell, and cluttering his mind with that stuff is foolish and, probably, downright self-destructive.

Ravine

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, thanks for sharing that. That info is probably more relevant, and revealing, than we would like it to be.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maggs is clutch

Smogboy

Post Number: 5721
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Magglio Ordonez is clutch this year because of Gary Sheffield. I'd think he'd be the first to admit that as well. Anytime a solid player gets an player of Sheff's ability around him in the line-up, the opposing team can't pitch around him and of course his numbers are going to be awesome. Kudos to Maggs still for playing as well as he has. MVP in my book right now.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some real good inside info from Baseball America on the Rick Porcello deal.

bottom line:

he has a four year deal ('07, '08, '09 and '10) with club options for '11 and '12.

If he pans out as hoped, then maybe in say '11 the Tigs could try to extend his contract.

Bottom line: 5 years beyond the current '07 season.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5723
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, so we're tied with the Tribe... AGAIN! I was sincerely hoping for a little bit more on the offensive side of the ledger tonight but that being said, I thought Jair Jurrjens did pretty well in his MLB debut. He kept the ball down, had nice velocity, solid movement on his curve and was actually brave enough to challenge a hitter when he did give up the first two runs. If he's any indication of what other young arms we have in the reeds awaiting to come aboard, we're going to be more than solid. Porcello, Miller, Crosby and Jair Jurrjens? And it's not like Bonderman, Zumaya and Verlander are chumps either. It's not a bad thing to have for the future.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a little chat with Jason grilli, he has been all over myspace pointing out certain fans who "diss" him online, i responded to him "you are in a pennant race, focus on that first" he responded to me, "i have to have free time too brother, you think we think about baseball all the time", and I thought to myself, well I think about it quite a bit and i don't get paid for it. no wonder the guy can't throw a strike to save his lfe

Smogboy

Post Number: 5725
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, to be fair... some of the criticism he gets is a bit unfair. What he does in his free time is his own business. I doubt if any of us here can say we think about our jobs 24/7. Now if he's up there on the mound in the middle of a game and thinking about what he had for dinner at Bennigan's, then it's a fair complaint. As a professional athlete he should be able to accept the praises as well as the scorn from fans as well.

And who says he can't throw a strike? When he has as of late it's been punched out of the park by the batter.

I don't think people can complain about his effort or his concentration. I'd like to think as a Tigers' fan that he is trying his damndest out there to do his job. Whether he succeeds or not is an entirely different debate. Seeing as how he's still sporting and old English D on his hat, he's still one of us. So criticize our teams' players but be fair on WHAT it is you're criticizing him about.

Would it be fair for "fans" to criticize a player if he's out having dinner with his wife and not focusing on the game at the moment? Grilli does deserve that measure of respect there in regards to his free time away from the job. His recent pitching performances have been less than stellar and he can be discussed in a much more intellectual way other than "Fire da bum!" And if we're also tossing criticisms around so easily, the team management should be criticized for keeping a weak player around then.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm not ragging on him for having a life at all, but i think he should act like a pro ball player and not a 15 year old girl(myspace drama). When i'm working and do poorly at my job over and over sooner or later i'm going to be fired or demoted.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jason Grilli is a myspace whore now? LMAO!!! I knew the dude sucks, but I didn't think he sucked like that....

Smogboy

Post Number: 5729
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waitaminute...you're engaging Grilli on myspace now. Sure he's a ball player but aren't you just as guilty for being a part of that drama as well? And I'm sure Jason Grilli knows about his own performance and the possibility of a demotion. And at what point didn't he realize that he's in a pennant race?? Why bring it up to him as though you're attempting to "inform" him of something he didn't already know?? Why state the obvious?

I'm not saying we have to embrace the guy when he's stinking up the ballpark but why the drama on myspace? If he wants to rant about some fans on there on his own time, I say leave him be; it's not any worse than anyone else offering up an opinion.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought he was acting like a little girl and not a professional so i told him so. that is all, sorry but i want the team that i support fanatically and financially to have winners, not some sissy whining on the internet. in other words

shut up and play ball because there are plenty of folks who would die for that job

Ravine

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sitting here, looking forward to tonight's game, so I thought I'd weigh in on this amiable debate about Grilli, MySpace, etc.
Smogboy, your defense of Grilli, and his activity on MySpace, demonstrates your usual level-headed POV. However, I must admit that Chitaku's characterization-- "some sissy whining on the internet"-- is a pretty good summarization of my own reaction to the matter.
In the big picture, I guess that the part which disturbs me is that Grilli, or any of the guys, would be paying that much attention to the stuff the fans, or the media, are saying or writing about him. A lot of folks claim that they don't care what people think of them, but that statement is usually false, and it seems to me that it is a bad idea for Grilli, or any of the boys, to open up the front door of his psyche and allow flies like us to swoop in and buzz around. The apparent fact that some of the negative criticism bugs him out just goes to show why it's a bad idea. I write stuff about those guys on this very thread, with some frequency, and while I believe that ardent fans like ourselves sometimes need a place, like this one, to vent our frustrations (as well as gush our delirious and nearly girlish praise,) I would hate to think that any of the Tigers would be actually reading what we say, much less go so far as to seek out our usually very, very subjective opinions.
I just think it's a bad, potentially self-destructive idea. Regarding the Grilli business, what the hell!! When you're a pro athlete, and you fuck up the way he has, lately, the fans are GOING to boo you, curse you and the ground you walk on, bitch about what a loser you are, and call for your dismissal, if not your head on the end of a spear...
O.K., guys and gals, it's almost game time. I'm outta here!!

Scs100

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To chime in as well, plenty of professional athletes have a Myspace account. Heck, I found half of the Edmonton Oilers players that were friends with Don Cherry. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have one, just don't let it distract you on game days. Only go on it on off days, that way you can concentrate on what you are supposed to be doing. He should have figured out he was in trouble when Leyland yanked Tata, put him in, and he got booed as he was walking to the mound. So putting that letter up was inexcusable. If he doesn't get his act together soon, those letters will be the least of his worries...

Ravine

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And you know, he tells Chitaku something about not thinking about baseball all the time, but if that's the case, why is he poking around through the comments in his MySpace mailbox? Dumbass.
Jeez, Carlos, thanks!!
CRIPES we may have a brawl at Yankee Stadium tonight. Verlander hits Rodriguez, then hurls one right at Matsui's FACE, fer chrissakes... If you combine Verlander's WPs and HBs, the number is 31, as he leads MLB in both categories... Rather scary, with him throwing in the high 90's, and all...
Magglio may fall into some kind of slump before this season is over, but right now, he looks like he is pretty much doing whatever he wants, at the plate.

Scs100

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am loving this game at the moment.