Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through August 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjcortese
Username: Jjcortese

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh!!! I just got it!! BT 1 = Boat Tender 1... I have another one of my Grandfathers shields and I guess he was a Sergeant with BT 1 in addition to being a Lt. with E-52. I still have to contact the Fireman's Fund to get the whole scoop... Thought I would share... Thanks a TON Tony for everything.

Jeff Cortese

(Message edited by jjcortese on July 29, 2007)

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photo Hornwrecker. Tony mentions the Boat Tender. I remember about six, seven years ago there was a Boat Tender parked in the bay behind Engine 39. It was old (though obviously not old enough to be the one in that photo) -- not sure if it was even functional at that point. Haven't seen a Boat Tender since. Heck, I'm not even sure if our Fire Boat is in service. It's usually only in service half the year and I know it's been hit or miss the past couple years. Any insight on these two pieces of apparatus (Boat Tender, Fire Boat) Tony?

quote:

The old side is empty completely, no parking is allowed inside quarters at L-19

Thanks for the correction Maddog.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are welcome Jeff.Glad to help.
Kim speaks highly of your Grandfather.
If yor Grandfather was Sarg. on BT 1
he would have been on the Department
for a while. Usually 10 years or longer
to make Sargent.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the other two shots from that fire, on the 12th St side. {Colors are still off a bit.} You never know what you'll find searching the VMC, these are the only color photos I've found so far of a fire scene.

wsu/vmc

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are straining the old mans memory
today.You were looking at the "old"
Boat Tender but you didn't know it.
In 1972 the hose box and deck guns
from the 1950 boat tender were transferred to
a new Chevrolet chassis. Repainted , it was
the first piece of apparatus painted Lime
Green.We would tease the crew," If you guys
park it in the sun it will ripen and turn RED".
Manpower cut backs made the BT a special call
rig. If a chief needed it a driver was sent to
to drive it to the scene.Used more for the 5"
line than firefighting. I remember a classic.
City of Trenton had a fire on Jefferson.Many stores in the downtown area burning or threatened.
Water supply problems. The fireboat and boat tender responded on mutual aid. The boat at the water front. The tender layed multiple 5" lines to the scene. Made hydrants with unlimited water supply. What a site ! I bet some body has photos of that. Please post. The boat was in then I heard it was out. I will check.The BT was scrapped.Don't know what happened to the Deck Guns.They go back to the '20's era Ahrens Fox.
Matt and Dan helped with this history lesson.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one?

1922 Ahrens-Fox DFD Fire Boat Tender

1922 Ahrens-Fox DFD Fire Boat Tender

I'm not sure if I posted this early on in the thread or not, but there's a site on the net that has almost all of the A-F builders photos online. You'd have to do a search for it, as I don't have the link anymore.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker: This gets better with each post!
The first photo shows two classic Seagraves
from different eras working together.The truck
in the center of the photo is a '30s' Seagrave.
The famous Buckeye Roto Ray spinning.The bell
must have been added by the D.F.D.shops.
Behind it in the first photo and in the second photo is a '52 Seagrave. Both trucks are tillers.
You can see a portion of a sedan pumper left foreground first photo.Christmas in July. THANKS!!

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker : Thats the one.Hopefully a restored
Detroit Boat Tender will be ready for
the Yipsy Fire Museum Muster in
August. A D.F.D. Seagrave (E.31 )and a
D.F.D.Ahrens Fox and a D.F.D.Steamer
are on display.Enough excitement for
one day. I gotta get some sleep.

Jjcortese

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is one of small pictures I have from the Fireground with my Grandfather. He is the one on the left standing. This is when he was with BT-1. The date on the back of the photo is 7-6-74, just a mere 8 days before the birth of me!! The photo was taken by Bill Eisner also. Too funny. I really didn't know they had SCBA's back then, but they are not wearing them!!

(Message edited by jjcortese on July 29, 2007)

Jjcortese

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another photo I have of my Grandfather. He is on the right in front of the Engine. I suppose this was taken when he first joined the Department in 1950. Anyone know what kind of Engine that might be and the other people in the photo??

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's an Ahrens-Fox Model J.

DFD Engine 39

Photo is of DFD Engine 39

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stuff guys! Thanks for the posts.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff : I don't think that is headquarters.
I bet that is your Grandfather with
his class mates at the Training
Academy.E.1 would have had a Seagrave
in 1950.
Dfd: I must agree. One of the better of the
many excellent photo postings and discussions on this site. If you are interested
in the FWD I can get you a deal.
Hornwrecker: I have a correction.After extensive
research( Another call to Dan ) I
was wrong about the deck guns .
The Ahrens Fox you posted is owned
by a private collector.All original
and operational. The deck guns on the
'72 BT were from the '50 BT.

Dfd

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you are interested
in the FWD I can get you a deal.
"
Don't temp me! I'd really like to have my own rig.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Info for the Field Day at the Zoo on August 12...

Discount tix for the zoo are in the back of this month's firefighters magazine. It allows discount tix to the zoo as well as complimentary food and drink. If you need tix, they have a few at the Firemen's Fund office (you have to be related to a DFD member past or present). She said they'd be happy to have us all come out. There will be a raffle, games, clowns, etc. You can call the Fund office at 313-961-2988 for tix or more info.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang! I thought the Field Day was going to be later August or early September (always marked the end of summer for us kids). I won't be able to bring Dad because we've got a different family commitment. Can I still get a brat t-shirt, though?

Thanks!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm: Shirts will be available for the Spaghetti Dinner on Sept. 26. As soon as I have more info on that, I'll be posting as well as sending out an email to those who sent me a request for the newsletter. Sorry you won't make the Field Day.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd: Call the Vatican and request an emergency
Exsorcism. Restoring a rig is a kin to
owning a boat or a race horse. I have
a photo of the FWD at Frankenmouth that
was e-mailed to me.If I can figure how to
get it from my e-mail to here I will
post it.
Ffdfd : Some guy named Revere came running
through here yelling " The Pierces
are coming,the Pierces are coming".
Should be at Holt tonight.Fittingly
E.17 is leading the pack.The boat is
out for repairs.Should be back in
two weeks.
Hornwrecker: Your photo post brought a call
from Seagrave authority Len
Williams. Len's Seagrave (E.31 )
and Ahrens Fox (E.13 ) are on
display at the Yipsy Fire
museum.Len passes along this
information. The Ladder in your
first photo on the 12th.street
side is L.12(Lafayette and Tenth).
Len identifies it as a 1931
Seagrave.Wooden ladder.First
rig to have a factory installed
windshield. Last rig to have a
six cylinder engine.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some guy named Revere came running
through here yelling " The Pierces
are coming,the Pierces are coming".
Should be at Holt tonight.Fittingly
E.17 is leading the pack.The boat is
out for repairs.Should be back in
two weeks.

Good news on the Pierces. I hear E47 and E41 are among those getting numbered. Hopefully that is not an exercise in futility. I was looking at E17 down at the shop recently -- still unbelievable. Thanks for the update on the Fireboat.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a bump so that everyone knows about the Field Day at the Zoo on the 12th. I included a link to the flier in a previous post. Hope to see you all there!

(Message edited by detroitteacher on August 04, 2007)

Dfd

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work Detroitteacher. It sounds like the field day is coming together. We'll be getting our daughter (the t shirt designer)ready to go to college that week, so we won't be able to come up there. Take lots of pictures.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will take tons of pics :-) The design has gone to the t-shirt guy so everything is off and running. T-shirts won't be available until Sept., though.

Dfd

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How are you guys (DFD)holding up to the heat?

Ffdfd

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about you, but I prefer fighting fires in the winter rather than the summer.

Dfd

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you! We just got back from a fire that started in a shed and spread to the exterior of 2 houses. Not a Detroit grade fire but interesting for us.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a bump to remind everyone of Field Day at the Zoo on Sunday. Discount tix and coupons and such are in this month's Firefighter from the Union. Hope to see many of you there.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all,

I have read this entire thread and now it is time to post. My father was on the Clown team and we had the Clown truck in our driveway many times. One year I dressed up in a dog costume and got to participate in a skit during Firemen's Field day. I even ran the bases at Tiger Stadium. Too bad it won't be there this Sunday.

I got so used to seeing my dad on TV because of the DFD. Most every year he was in the Thanksgiving day parade and was even appeared on Oopsy the Clown's show. As a child I thought that the people on TV were my friends. Once, Sonny Elliot called the house for something related to the clowns. I didn't think anything of it.

Do they still have a strong Clown team?

Ffdfd

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Clown Team is still very active.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from the Field Day! What a great time. About 500 people showed up (not counting the endless kids under 5). The Clown Team, Band, magicians, raffle, t-shirts (none of the brats yet...those will be ready for Sept 26 at the Spaghetti dinner), and aerial shenanigans were all part of the festivities. Decent food (hey, it was free), free pop, beer, ice cream...all seemed to have a great time. Here are SOME of the pics I took. If anyone would like copies, please email me at tmcooleyweb at aol dot com. Please be sure to mention which pics you'd like or I'll send them all.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you say free beer? LOL. I bet the garnered some attention.