Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Tiger Talk 2007 » Archive through August 26, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember Pat Underwood? Debuting against his brother Tom no less, had a game much like JJ`s second. Pretty damn exciting, especially since the Indians have seen him already, knew what he was bringing to the table.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The crowd cheer for the combination of Jurrjens starter performance and the return of Zumaya was fantastic. A great confidence booster for Zumaya, the team, and the fans that he came out, fired off a few rockets, and did the job he came out to do succesfully.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that game. It was in 1979. Pat won 1-0. It was on TV with Kell and Kaline announcing. I think Jerry Morales hit a homerun to win it. Great game.

Ookpik

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheffield out tonight and indefinitely
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070822/SPORTS0 2/70822070

Shit. Fucking roller-coaster. Just when all was looking somewhat rosy again.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5777
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And like I had said earlier, with Sheff out it's most definitely going to affect Magglio's average. The opposition's just going to pitch around him now if he's on a tear. At least with Sheffield in the line up the other teams couldn't afford to walking two hitters.

The Tigers collectively have to play much more focused now and try to make up for the loss of his bat now. They have to keep it close or just plain lead the way until Sheffield gets back. There's a serious possibility that the Wildcard team isn't going to be coming from the AL Central the way Seattle & NY are playing. We need to outright win the AL Central if there's any hope of post season glory from the looks of it.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wild card will not come from the Central this year, period, barring injuries to significant players on either NYY, LAA, or SEA. Must win the division.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5785
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig Monroe to the Cubs for considerations.

I wish the guy well.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm going to wrigley on tuesday i hope he plays

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again we win the first game of a series convincingly, then fail miserably for the remaining games. I feel bad for Nate. Another well pitched no decision.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5788
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shocking that Zumaya had to give it up so easily too. Kudos to Nate for a stellar performance (great for the ERA but no win) and even kind high marks for Santiago and Polanco for some great defense. High marks aside, we still ended up on the losing side. Bummer.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radio broadcast was noting Zumaya's fastball velocity steadily falling throughout the 10th, eventually down to 91mph.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great game to be at (minus the heat). It was good until the 10th. At least it wasn't another slugfest...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not pleased by the fact that I, more and more frequently, am starting to sound like an old, stuck-in-my-ways curmudgeon, but as much as I love baseball, there is a whole lot of stuff I do not like about the game as it is played-- and managed-- now. Maybe someone can tell me how in the fuck it is anything but idiot bullshit to take Nate Robertson out of that game. Oh, right, I know, the pitch count. The goddam pitch count. He'd thrown a lot of pitches, and it was hot outside. Jesus H. Christ. For one thing, he had thrown only 91 pitches, but even if he had thrown 137, he had made that game-- a very important game against the team who represents our most direct competition-- his, and I really doubt that a bulldog of a guy like him, in that situation, would have said, "Yeah, Skip, I'm pretty bushed. Maybe I should come out." Yeah, tired; sure. The guy is only about 30, for God's sake, and he has been desperately needing an outing like this one, as we have been needing one from him, and only ONE OUT short of having SHUT OUT the Indians for nine innings (he hadn't even walked anyone!!,) it makes sense to TAKE HIM OUT?
I respect Jim Leyland very much, but Joel Zumaya is going to spend the night feeling responsible for a loss for which Leyland deserves the blame. Nate Robertson is a good, upstanding team player and gentleman, so I know he won't publicly grouse about this turn of events, but I gotta believe that he's annoyed.
Postscript, re: Zumaya... In a way, it was karmic justice, that Chris Gomez KO'd Zoomy. Early last season, in what may have been my first time seeing Zumaya, Joel hurled in one of those nearly-off-the-charts fastballs of his, and it "kind of got away from him," and the snapping sound of then-Baltimore Oriole Gomez' hand breaking was clearly audible on the TV broadcast. We didn't see Chris for a while, after that.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5792
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Ravine, you're not sounding curmudgeonly at all. We all post here because we care about our teams. We don't question Jim Leyland's play calling to sabotage the man. We raise the question because it's something WE wouldn't have done, but then we fans aren't the ones in the dugout, we're not privvy to the conversations, we don't have other medical data, etc.. Sometimes I wonder if a lot of these managers go on a gut feeling- if these gut instincts pan out, they're geniuses- if they don't, they're idiots.

Okay so it didn't work out today but I'm still going to trust Jim Leyland and his experience tomorrow. He led us to the promised land once (although we didn't feast there) and I'm hopeful he can manage and finagle all of these highly paid athletes into a cohessive winning unit again.

Ravine

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baron Smoggenreich, you are (as always) level-headed, and wise in your reservation of judgment. Your comments are appreciated. I, however, am still pissed off.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5795
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As fans we reserve the right to be miffed Ravine. We have every solitary right to be peaved (ask any Lions fan!), but ultimately it's our choice to follow this team or not. And maybe because my blood runs Tiger orange and blue, but I'm not willing to chuck this team under the bus just yet.

Ravine

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, not at all. It's funny, how anguished some folks sound, when they are talking about this team, which is many games over .500 and solidly in the hunt.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 448
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I saw it, Zumaya gave up a well-hit lead-off double, and after that, nothing much.
<shrugs>

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The offense lost this game. Lots of chances to win it in regulation, up to and including the bottom of the ninth. The pitching and bullpen get a lot of blame, but truth be told, you can't win games when your team scores 0.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5798
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focusonthed, I'd even take it one step further and try not to pin blame on any one aspect of our game. This was a loss by the entire team. I totally concur it's awfully easy to stick Zumaya with the responsibility and forget that we swung cold bats. One could also blame Jim Leyland as well. But why?

Sports are won and lost by who makes fewer mistakes. Striking out, making a bad pitch, not advancing the runners, changing pitchers too early, errors, and all add up to losing efforts. Maybe I'm over simplifying it but in the box scores, the team still took a heavy handed loss in the columns. We need to re-group and come back strong. We can't worry about the series that's passed and we've got to move forward.

Maybe Sheffield needs to get irascible in the locker room and throw something to fire them up as opposed to Leyland this time around?

Ravine

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy's comment is right on, and it reminds me of something that I notice among the guys I work with. Most of them are much more into football and basketball, but they exemplify a habit which can be applied to any sport. The habit is to focus on one thing, and talk as though the entire game turned around that one thing. It might be a player, an individual play, or a particular move made (or not made) by the coach or manager. My rant against Leyland's removal of Robertson comes off that way, I admit. But Smogboy is right; the final result of a game is a reflection of the sequences of successes and failures on the parts of the two teams. In this case, if the Tigers had managed to score even so much as one or two runs, Leyland might have let Nate keep going, but when there is no room for error, the situation becomes much more difficult for everybody.
I still say he should have kept Nate out there, but Leyland didn't get the job for his good looks.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zack Miner demoted today.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally....3:30 AM game ends and a fair amount of fans stayed put. I guess it was worth the wait.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5807
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Omigoodness... I still can't believe the game. And to beat the Yankees too? Thank goodness it's a home game; at least our boys will get an opportunity to sleep in their own beds tonight after this candle burner of a match.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5808
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somehow if Comerica Park decided NOT to have fireworks at the end of the game tonight, I wouldn't have blamed them.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5812
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four more triples by Granderson and he'll tie Ty Cobb for the record. Amazing young man... just utterly amazing.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the game last night or this morning, we stayed to the very end. I finally got home at 4:30 a.m. What a night, what a game, what am I doing awake so early? The place was loaded with New Yorkers, on and off the field the battle was "on". I'm going back to bed, I'm so tired, I can't imagine how the Tigers feel.
I am in love with Granderson, he is amazing! :-)

Ravine

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see why you folks who were at that game feel moved to comment on the absurdly late finish, but it is now 6:30 P.M., with another game 30 minutes away, and if the rube on WXYT doesn't stop fixating on, and gushing about, the 3:30 A.M. end-time of the previous game, I'm gonna commence screaming.
Hey Qweek, I understand. Granderson is so cool, even some of us guys are in love with him. By the way, during last night's delay, FSN showed a little piece about Curtis, and I am here to tell you that Mama Granderson is fine as HELL.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9906
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't believe it.

Woke up about four, stumbled downstairs to this ungodly glow in the sky. Thought it was a UFO landing...

Wandered out to the parking lot and realized it was the stadium lights reflecting off the heavy, low clouds.

Stadium lights on at four in the morning...I laughed at the thought of some poor guy getting backcharged in his pay for forgetting to hit the switch when he left the park or something...never, ever did I suspect the game had just ended.

I'm pretty glad they reserved the fireworks, that would've been freaky.

Didn't learn about the game until I went to Vivio's this afternoon and talked with a few folk who were there...big fun.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone tell me what the heck all these silly looking necklace things are that all the Tigers seem to be wearing? Some of them look like ropes with beads. They trying to trade wampum to the Indians for a win or what?

Stupid looking. If I was manager they would go or the player would find a map to Toledo in his locker.