Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through September 02, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES - On the one hand the TC event next year could be a lot of fun...on the other hand I cannot imagine the abuse I would take from a bunch of Spartans...especially the women for forgetting Sally's name.

Now that I hear it...it rings so true....believe me...you are far less troubled than I that her name escaped me...she was a very nice girl...sort of like SH...the brevity of the relationship is undoubtedly tied to it...very shortly after that prom I reconnected with my long time S'Eastern girlfriend...the one that I ultimately married...one forever wonders about the paths taken as forks in life's road were encountered...generally I selected the path less traveled...but in that case it was not so...still, I pretty much did it my way much to the teeth grinding chagrin of many.

BTW...I checked the '59 book...no Bob Stewart...but the name Nan Stewart sounds vaguely familiar...I wonder if maybe she dated a friend of mine.

Its been a great thread...we need to find a means to continue the line of communication.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - E mail works....ewemling@comcast.net I will miss the occasional Kellyroad's and others who joined but had no clue as to what these two clowns were all about.....I think that if 'Paradise Lost' can be considered HOF quality then the TARS should be ranked along with them as trying to describe the total destruction of what you and I would call the EASTSIDE.....later!!!!! and send word by e mail.....its been totally fun .....

Senior
Username: Senior

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue and Eastside61:

I hope the solving of the big mystery doesn't spell the end of the banter between you guys. I have enjoyed the lively back and forth responses regarding one of the eastside's greater mysteries.

Thanks for the entertaining volleys.

Senior

Goblue

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Very definitely will stay in contact...sorry too that we didn't attract other TARS who would stay with it...eg. Kellyroad and others...I keep thinking there must be a means of organizing TARS into a viable force...but perhaps we are simply putting fingers in the dyke that is destined to collapse...I'm assuming that ya'll are in Detroit visiting your mother etc...I'd ask that you look to my parents graves in Gethsemane but would not want you to risk life and limb...even a member of the former Mapleridge Mob would not be up to that task...

Via email...and in continued search of SH and SJ....soon.......GB

Goblue

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senior: Well...ES hung in there pretty well for a Spartan...but...since he did discover the identity of my prom date I'm somewhat reluctant to offer more than that...for a Spartan he done good!!...just imagine if he'd chosen at some point in his illustrious carrier to reach for the brass ring...and become a Wolverine...just imagine what the world could have become...and still...we don't know the location of SH...da, da, da, dum!!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Home in Los Altos Hills....mom is doing well for 93....make reservations for TC 08 and I think we will make you the featured speaker for the North Peak Educators Conference: How Prom Dates Affected My Life Decisions or TARS of the 50's / 60's were one class act.......Good Night SH we will find you toooooooooooo!

Goblue

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Glad to hear that your mother is doing well...mine died at 88 in '96...her last 7 yrs. were spent in the Alzheimer's ward at the St. John's facility on Warren...I think it used to be Austin High...my dad had died in '84...anyway...good to hear that your's is doing well....certainly though she must share what had to be your dad's feelings...as a noted Wolverine athlete...a recognized educator...wondering where he went wrong to have all three sons become Spartans. Your oldest sib is the most puzzling...I knew him as an outstanding leader, athlete, scholar, bon vivant...middle sibs on the other hand have a tendency to stray....but oh well...what's done is done!

I shall be pleased and proud to serve as the keynote at the TC 08 gathering...as I said, the first round is on me...assuming that the pub will accept Peruvian Pesos...I do prefer speaking to the latter topic..."TARS AS A CLASS ACT"...extensive analysis produced some understandings of how I ended up with S'Eastern instead of SJ after the prom. Now that your diligence has produced her by name...the search is on for the whereabouts of SH AND SJ...Googling has produced nothing of value...I wonder if they knew one another.

Littleoatey
Username: Littleoatey

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran:
Haven't quite figured out how to manuever this site yet. Where did you live? I'm class of 68. Bischoffs lived off Hayes, crap load of kids? Supanichs, I knew Ron. Sassin family, my friend's brother married Karen Sassin. Just wondered if they are the same families.

Pat

Littleoatey

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoever was looking for Al Fischone....he works at Stu Evans Mercury on M-59 in Clinton Township, MI. I just saw him and we talked about Denby.

Pat O'Neill - 68

Littleoatey

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a newbie here but very confused. Everyone talks about people they are related to that taught at Denby, etc. but no one gives any names.

Secondly, Mr. Lux was a great English teacher. I had him in class and also summer school. He was a very understanding man when I walked into class late because I was outside the room with my boyfriend!

Yes, we girls got to wear those disgusting skintight speedo suits. We also had to take half naked showers if we were on our period and go be inspected. Everyone knew the teachers were lesbian getting their jollies. It was pretty sick. The boys swam naked during those year (65-68). Everyone knew about our driver's training track. The kids today should spend a fraction of the time we did doing book work or driving. It is scary with them on the road. I speak from experience; my daughters are 18 and 20. They are also Spartans thought their father and I prefer the maize and blue.

On the Delphi forum we identify ourselves with our graduation year, first and last name. Has anyone thought of doing that so the posts don't seem so jumbled?

Pat O'Neill Pehrson 68

Goblue

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LO: I agree, Mr. Lux was an excellent English teacher...I was in one of his classes about '57 or '58. Denby had a really fine English department...that background served me well over the years.

Swim class was one of the more miserable experiences during those years ('55-'59)...all of us had to be "inspected" before going into the pool...of course we had to swim naked...had to wonder about those PE teachers. We always wondered if the girls also swam nude but no one could get a good peek through the crack in the folding wall and it seemed that no one could get a straight answer from a girlfriend. BTW, what's a "half naked shower"?...seems like you either are or aren't...sort of like a little bit pregnant.

I understand what you mean about your daughters...darn kids would never do what you want them to...imagine my heartbreak when my son went to Kalamazoo College and my daughter to Grand Valley State instead of U-M. Of course, the fact that he had a full ride scholarship eased the pain.

I'm game to self identify...although I expect that Eastside61 may balk...I think he believes that the warrants issued for him by the fathers of some sweet young TARS might still be active. That Mapleridge gang was a bunch of badasses! I expect that he'll show up again one of these days...he just got back from a Traverse City reunion party that (I heard) lasted until 9:30 P.M...so he's probably still recovering. You know those Spartans...real party animals!! Although I expect that you'd prefer that your daughters not be!

Which street did you live on? Which elementary school?

Gene '59

Rocket_bozo
Username: Rocket_bozo

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue - my dad says he can't recall Morris Thompson on the Detroit Police force from 1943 to 1950. Dad was most familiar with the guys who rotated with his shift at the fifth pct. There were guys on other shifts that he did not know very well.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 919
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron was Bill and Jim's cousin...and Karen was part of the Sassin Clan....I knew the Bishoff's they were a little older than us....really the neighborhoods were so much smaller and people were connected through friends and relatives lived nearby...it was wonderful...thanks for the contact.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 920
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had Lux in 1976 he was a great teacher...was Alan a relation?

Goblue

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket: My dad was at the 15th...a long shot that they would have known each other. Although our neighbor from across the street Bob Abbott was at the 5th (I believe). I think he was a Sgt. or Lieu. Before he went to the 5th he was with the mounted division. His sons and I used to enjoy playing on the saddle he had at home.

Eastside61

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Let's revisit the Powell's wedding film career????? You Fordham gangsters used to crash weddings at the Hippadrome and K of C Hall....and it is rumored that you also did a singles act with your accordion for weddings at AGrotto and Edward's Bar in St Clair Shores .....fess up Boy....enough of those fake stories about being a socialite looking khaki dressed caddy in GP........Real men from Fordham never caddied.......!!!!!!! Go State we be #26

Goblue

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The wedding film career was unfortunately too short lived...from age 16 until 22...$25 for an all day wedding shoot...plus all you could eat and drink...and if you got lucky a bridesmaid later...luck was never in the cards for me! Although, one of the guys had a complete role of film from one of the weddings that we never published...bridesmaid dreamed of being a Playboy centerfold.

Yer right...the Fordham boys never caddied...and for damn sure never wore khaki's...I was movin' on up!!

GO BLUE!!! Ranked #5 in the AP!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB- We need to find KRoad.....we need to start the book.......it will sell at least three copies.....and are you ready to place that old crumpled up $20 that you claim will be available next summer in TC and put it down ON the MSU v. banana head Classic game this fall??????

Goblue

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I would feel so guilty taking money on the Meeeechigan vs Mooooo U. game this fall...but...if you insist!! Twenty dollars it is!! I think I still have some of the Confederate money that I used during my early tour in the deep South.

You're right....Kelly Road where are you??...its writing time!! ES will go first...telling his tales of SH.

Eastside61

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Remember: NO CANADIAN Money....the money MUST fold and there will be a point spread that I get to determine.....

GO GREEN.......

Goblue

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

POINT SPREAD!!! WHAT are you talkin' about boy?!?! Ain't no point spread...just a plain ol' ass kickin'!! A tune up for the OSU game. I'll send you the proper numbers so that you can wire transfer the funds to my account.

GO BLUE!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Is Oregon State on the u OF m schedule???? Do they have banks in AZ?????? Just send me the money now and save yourself some grief!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Is MSU still scheduling a game with St. David's School for Multiple Amputees...didn't the TARS kick their butts sometime in the last year or so?

Eastside61

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Be careful about St.David's - We couldn't clap to the beat of the 'vik - toors' but we did win......The St.D and MSU cheers were coordinated...as we used to shout out...."That's alright....That's OK...There going to work for us someday"....

Just put the money in an envelope and send it....

Goblue

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The wire transfer numbers for the M-Moo U. wager will be transmitted privately.

Goblue

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: MSU chant...."We're #26...we're #26...moo, moo, moo!!"

Eastside61

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - haw haw!!!! And remember it was the 61er's from East lansing who came to YOUR recuse.....we did it for you and all you can do is belittle a rebuilding team......so we are holding back with the most current data about SJ that has been discovered!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AW yer right.....it was the 61er's that I have to thank....the guilt I'm feeling is overwhelming....mea culpa, mea culpa....

Eastside61

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - SJ is now residing in ksoeang, mk. E-mail: slkeail@leaianla.com....have fun........How many points do I get this fall??????

Goblue

Post Number: 298
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Interesting!! I have just located some info that indicates that SH might be living in Sausalito.