Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » The Detroit Lions » Archive through August 20, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Favre returns to the Pack for the 2007 season, upsetting the Lions' plans for a 15 and 1 season...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4439
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least we can celebrate one Lion.

Bravo to Charlie Sanders on making the HOF.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chargers just fired Schottenheimer. Maybe now we can get a good coach. (Oh wait, I forgot, Millen is too stupid to get a good coach. Oh well...)

Smogboy

Post Number: 4471
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hire Schottenheimer a year after getting Marinelli?

Do you REALLY think that's a possibility now? There is no way you or anyone is going to see that happening. They've got to ride it out with Marinelli, like it or not for a few more years. They've at least got to stick with a game plan now as opposed to switching coaches, schemes, & language at every sign of panic. I think that's where Millen royally messed up in the sense that he didn't have a set plan or direction. He supposedly wanted west coast offense and then didn't build around it and now he's hopefullu wised up and will let Marinelli implement his system.

Sure Marinelli made some rookie coaching mistakes but we've got to ride it out somewhat as opposed to going after an old re-tread like Schottenheimer.

Scs100

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was trying to be sarcastic about getting Schottenheimer. Hard to do over a computer. Believe me, in no way do I think that it will happen. Stick with Marinelli for a couple more years, then see what happens.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4473
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always invoked the "queue up the sarcasm meter" line when it comes to being sarcastic online. But then when it comes to the Lions, I think the meter's on 24/7.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a question for all you die-hard Detroit Lions fans - especially any old-timers.

What player for the Detroit Lions wore the number 33 in the 1975 era? I have an old photograph of somebody wearing a Lions jersey with said number and cannot figure out who the player was who wore that number.

Here is the photograph.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on May 29, 2007)

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say Nick Petrosante.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably so. Nick Pietrosante, Fullback, played from 1959 to 1965 for the Detroit Lions.

Astagafa
Username: Astagafa

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lions fans, there is a proposal in Lansing to stick us with a ticket tax on our Lion's tickets and all other sports, concert and movie tickets. It's about $150 a year for the average Lion ticket holder. Go to notickettax.com to join the fight.This is one we can win.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three weeks til the preseason opener.

Scs100

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Training Camp has now started, minus Calvin Johnson. So let the guessing begin. What do you think the record will be this year? I'll go with 6-10.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they can do better - they got rid of some bad chemistry - at least 8-8

Smogboy

Post Number: 5626
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnson finally signed but Stanton is toast for the year.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10-6

Smogboy

Post Number: 5637
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick time out from talking about the current Lions here to note Charlie Sanders. His acceptance speech into the Hall of Fame was a thing of dignity, class and eloquence. Hats off to him for noting so many others on HIS day. I've never been one to really watch HOF ceremonies but I was captivated by this genuine display of human dignity. Bravo to Charlie Sanders- not just for his stellar play as a football player, but his class as a human being.

Scs100

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Break out the champagne, bask in the glory, the Lions have won! Oh wait, this is a preseason game...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was there and the starters looked awful

Lilpup

Post Number: 2580
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know whether to be impressed that the third stringers stood up and hung on for the win, or ticked off that they almost gave it away.

I had flashbacks to last year's many late losses by only a few points.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5674
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The starters aren't supposed to look sharp just yet. No one is on either side of the ball; that's why they have these sort of games to sharpen their skills, get hit, feel game pressure and get ready for the real season. Besides what can one expect from the starters in less than 10 snaps?

To me, these exhibition games are to help the coaching staff judge the second & third stringers more so than the first units. It's in essence a glorified practice- I make nothing too huge about it win or lose.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year, I bought the hype and believed the team would make the playoffs. They stunk. After watching the lions last night, I predict 4 wins at the most. Smogboy, what do you mean the starters aren't supposed to look sharp yet? Carson Palmer and they're first string sure looked sharp. I think that you may be in serious DENIAL, like most of the sad sack lion fans are. Time to wake up people and stop supporting LOSERS.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To me, these exhibition games are to help the coaching staff judge the second & third stringers more so than the first units.

Bingo!. The third game is the one to worry about, that is real test of the starters. And hopefully White and Rogers will be back by then to shore up the DL.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5676
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20043_stotter, talk about denial! You're the one that bought into the hype and foolishly believed they'd make the playoffs... and now your ankles are shattering from jumping off the bandwagon so abruptly. I won't buy into making that wayward of a prediction nor have I ever. Hooray for Carson Palmer & the Bengals' starting unit looking sharp- I'm happy for them but they were probably more of an exception than the norm for the NFL. For most starting units, it's their first time with full game situations and I sure as heck am not going to judge ANY starting unit on two series of downs THIS early.

And quit denying it, 20043_stotter. You might lambast all Lions fans but you'll be in front of the idiot box like you do each and every Sunday... still watching. At least I won't deny that I'll still be watching and cheering on OUR Lions... it won't necessarily be pretty on most Sundays for us but they're still our local team.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5686
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's one thing about being a fan of any team. No one forces any of us to cheer for a particular team. I know plenty of Dallas fans here in the Detroit area, as well as plenty of Green Bay, Chicago, Vikings, and Cleveland fans. Each of us has a reason to cheer for our respective teams.

I don't see anything unfortunate about it at all. It's all in good fun.

Given the choice to cheer for a local team (even the Lions) is still better than being a major metropolitan area like LA and not having a team isn't it?

20043_stotter

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No championship since 1957, (50 years ago). Terrible record since Bill Ford took over.
Matt Millens record.
A laundry list of lousy coaches and players.
And fans still support the lions?
Bill Ford and Matt Millen are laughin' their asses off.
They sell out every game with a lousy product.
So why invest in good players and coaches when you are maximizing your profit?
And they keep promising and promising with no results.
And the fans keep coming and coming and spending and spending, like lemmings going over the cliff.
As long as the fans keep this up and keep supporting a substandard team, you won't live long enuf to see a high quality and winning, class team. (50 YEARS AGO) wow!
By fans supporting this team, is compromising their intelligence or, they don't have any. This is not personally about you Smogboy, it's about all the fans that are denying the truth and reality of the lions and it's owners and management. And yes, I'll still watch them and get my laughs for the first half, but after that, click.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2625
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what if they actually win this year? The Tigers turned it around quickly enough.

The defense can't handle a two minute drill but if the offense can score enough, as they did in both games so far, it won't matter so much.

Scs100

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And what if they actually win this year?

The whole city will suffer several heart attacks...

20043_stotter

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup! You are one of the fans I wrote about 3 posts up. With fans like you, they'll never win, because they don't have too and you'll still be there. (50 years of fans like you has got them how many championships?) Lilpup, you must be very young or in denial to still back this team. The owner and Gen. Manager are laughing their asses off over fans like you. They sell out every game with the lousiest of a team. Stop going to the games and get another Pro team to play in Tiger stadium and you'll see a quick turnaround for the lions, or maybe a new owner hopefully.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 442
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lilpup! You are one of the fans I wrote about 3 posts up. With fans like you, they'll never win, because they don't have too and you'll still be there.

You're absolutely right: it's the fans' fault!