Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through September 07, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I note that Kellyroad is alive and well...we'd begun to assume that perhaps he'd joined Jimmy H.

Actually...I was not around Heilmann all that much in the summer...never could hit a curve ball...winter was my game...hockey...skating with a girlfriend...Angie Fairchild comes to mind...ah, dear sweet Angie and the means by which she warmed frozen hands.

Diane C. was the Regina attendee...her brother and I worked together in later years.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Chapter 5 in the Eastside Book: ....and the means by which she warmed frozen hands WOW!!!! The brother working together is a cover for the secret between the houses romance that took place on Fordham.......and Angie Fairchild....Denby???? and I took a long look at Sally pic above......wow....U da man.......all I ever did was go to Mt Hope MYF and homework.....

Goblue

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES...no romance on Fordham...between her Catholic father and my Lutheran mother it didn't go far. Angie...yes a TAR...about your class I think...has an older sister named Sue...likely in your brother's class. Yeah, homework...uh huh!!...that's why you attended Moo U.?? Sally was...well...she was!!...have to wonder where the road would have led if I'd traveled that way instead of the S.E. road which was nothing but potholes and a bridge out!!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue,
Has the mystery of the Jan 59 prom date photo been solved? Haven't seen or heard my buddy Jimmy H. for over 32 years. We were suppose to have dinner at some restaurant on the west side but the plan never came to fruition. Oh well, some things are best not digging into.

Far Eastsiders,
I still have my Detroit News paper route subscriptions cards for my customers on Eastwood (primarily between Hayes and Kelly) from 1968-1970. Does any one remember the 5 star edition of the news?....It was the last edition printed during the day. A few customers on Mapleridge, Linhurst. Faircrest, Saratoga, and 7 mile also wanted the 5 star edition....so I had a "scattered route" the route book holds a lot of memories, not only names and addresses but direction for delivery...porch, milk chute, or mail box. $0.90 weekly for the daily and Sunday papers. My journey to the paper station on Celestine and Mapleridge was a considerable trip for someone who lived on Eastwood near Kelly. Considering a route of between 90-100 customers using a Schwinn heavy duty bike (bought a a police auction) with saddle bags on the front and rear of the bike, my introduction into the work force was a baptism by fire. Oh yeah, and door to door collections every friday. (no monthly bills or pay by mail at that time). Yes it was hard work, but I really got to know the eastside neighborhood. on that note.. I wonder if there is anyone that lives on Eastwood from that era from the late 60s/early 70s even the 80s. Is there anyone who has lived in the same house or neighborhood or do you know of anyone who has lived in the same house (neighborhood) since the 60s/70s? Is there anyone who has lived in a house since it was built in 40s/50s? Anyone?? My mother has the St. Jude Church paper mailed to her and she notices familiar names but the addresses of those names may not be in the St. Jude (Heilmann) area.
Perhaps these questions should be posted on the far eastside forum but I'll start here.

Goblue

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad: Yup, our San Fran-Los Altos friend and his band of Spartans met in Traverse City about a month ago...apparently a couple of the women had gone to elementary school with her...her name was/is Sally Jensen...but no one seems to know her whereabouts...so...that is the next puzzle...also attempting to find ES61's first...Sandy Hennick...there was a sighting in L.A. some years ago.

Wow...I envy you...I had a N.E. Detroiter route...Fordham from Gratiot to Morang...it would be fun to still have that route book. Can't help you about a house built in the 40's-50's...my parents house was built about 1930...they paid $2K for it in 1932 and sold it for $11K in 1971...it was torched some time in the '90's.

We were thinking that its time to write the book...you've been assigned the first chapter...ES61 is worried about outstanding warrants but I told him that the statue of limitations had run out...besides...they're all grandmothers now.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB,
Perhaps the intro/prologue would be better suited for this non-author. How's this for a title: "My route book"..How an entire neighborhood on the northeast side of Detroit changed in less than one generation. Sociological commentaries and observations by GB, ES61, and Kellyroad

Goblue

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly: I like the title...you know, that route book probably pretty much tells the tale...of reading patterns, informed voters, socioeconomic status...it would be interesting to be able to locate your customers and record their stories.

Haven't heard from ES61 for a few days...my hunch is that he's recovering from plastic surgery to alter his appearance...I think it scared the beegeezuzz out of him when he learned that SH had been only a couple of hundred miles away as recent as 20 years ago...one can only guess at their history.

Eastside61

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR- Be careful about talking to strange men who went to Denby in the 50's....As one who lived on Eastwood through seventh grade I know about those Fordham boys....and the constant trouble they were in...It all started when he started delivering the NE Detroiter, caddying and filming weddings in the AG cemetary...Be careful!!! but I still think the socio-study is very cool!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - ES: Smoke....lotsa smoke!! Can't blame a guy for blowing as much smoke as possible in the air...I'd do the same...50 years worth of back support is almost incalcuable...SH is closing in...can't blame a guy for being nervous...does the liability extend to grandkids as well? There was a reason ES was known as "The Gardener" back in his Mapleridge Mob days.

Eastside61

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - Be careful those Fordham guys. They started smoking at age 6 on there way to Columbus and first grade with Mrs. Hennick. So talking about blowing smoke is an interesting concept but GB has been doing it for a long time. You Tube has a video of some guy in AZ....retiree.....mountain region who has dyed his hair or the top of his head to look like a u OF m helmut.....I wonder if......

Eastside61

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - GB has entered the Augustinian Order and has taken a vow of silence...but they have allowed him to keep his banana head paint job that has been reported earlier in this discussion.....he was also seen at the foot of Lakewood throwing and old box which seemed to be covered with purple and white covering into the Detroit river....the box was last seem floating past the former Bob-lo Island and seemed to be headed to Cleveland.....

Goblue

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong!! Its the Jesuits!! I'm hearing confessions this afternoon...ES is next in line!!
Right about the purple and white box though...shoulda done it years ago.

Eastside61

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB = Jesuit! do they know about all the Regina Queens? All those you picked up at the NDHS dances in the 50's.....???? and that Lutheran upbringing still lingers......and having Mrs. H as a teacher as reported above.....Oh!!!! and those dominican princesses.....I think you were the reason they recently closed.....

You could try to hide with those westsiders again on Joy and Chicago Blvd.....

Goblue

Post Number: 292
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to date a former Dominican princess who'd gone over the wall....oh my, oh my, oh my!!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - The only thing that ever happened to me at Dom was that the nuns would chase us off when we tried to play tennis.....back to the wall.....was this wall at the edge of the Detroit R at the foot of lakewood.??????? Did she try to swim to Canada??????? or to Belle Isle or Peche Island????? You were the MAN that us 61er's styled ourselves after......but my 54 Ford was a four door straight 6 that sucked oil and more oil.....and then more oil.....you Fordham guys along with Elvedge had the smooth cars....

Goblue

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Dennis had the really fine car...a customized Mercury as I recall...about a '52 or '53? I had a 56 Ford convertible that I got in 1960...it definitely helped!

She climbed the wall...and threw away the habit...that was in the mid-'80's...no Canada or foot of Lakewood...I was long gone from Detroit by that time. She lived in Chicago...a friend of friends...AB...a good time woman!

Eastside61

Post Number: 195
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I wonder if Kellyroad will allow that chapter ("let's Look at the Eastsiders in the 80's") in the sequel to the Eastside Historical Novel......What other capers are still a secret???????? You are the role model!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Hell...we're his editors and agents...we get 10% of his residuals...of course he'll write it.

Eastside61

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - HBO is next!!!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I like that...now to work on the cast...Paris Hilton to play SH...Susan Saradon to play SJ...and then....Newman for me and Pee Wee for you.

Eastside61

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - i was thinking martin short for you and Pierce Bronson for me...martin is older and fits you better......

Goblue

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw....Newman it is!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Newman????? You mean the guy on Seinfeld???? the mailman who hung out with Kramer....that would be perfect!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yuk, yuk!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You Fordham Guys were totally studly.......but a 16 MM movie is the in thing!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: To live on Fordham you had to be fast...on your feet...that or be willing to go up against Wally and his pals.

Eastside61

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Wally ???? Lived on Saratoga....Faircrest .......Seymour????

Goblue

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Wally lived on Eastwood...had to get past him on the way home from Columbus...it got better in later years with a bicycle...could circle around and come down Celestine. Interesting how he came to play center at MSU.

Eastside61

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - does wally have a last name???? Like Wally Cox who played for the u OF m....

Goblue

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: No last name that I ever knew of....just "Baaaad Ass Wally"