Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Old Car Factories » Archive through July 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY-Briggs manufacturing leased 800,000 sq. ft. of the Highland Park plant from Ford to build auto bodies, beginning in 1928 after the terrible fire at a Briggs plant resulting in several workers being killed. Briggs even built Chrysler bodine at the Ford HP complex.

Forwardlook
Username: Forwardlook

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that YouTube has yet been mentioned as a source of information. Here's a few interesting links;

Chrysler Jet Engine Plant;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2M1ky8vUK5M

1905 Ford Plant and Assembly Line;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cTOAuRqP4gI

Packard Plant ruins walkaround;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =9cgDBVXJTpc

Olds Plant tear down in Lansing;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6Vk-IntX6aQ

There is lots of footage from outside Detroit. looks like this WWII Ford Plant in CA is in great shape but it is still going to be torn down?? Yikes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =DLnghL8Gl60

Studebaker Plant in South bend, Indiana;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =gNrOG4DNqUY

I'm sure there is a lot more, be creative with the searching!

Thanks for the welcome Chrysler Transport!

Hans

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The opening shot is of the Ford Motor Company Highland Park Plant Power House, which was on Woodward just north of Davison Expressway. It was next to the still standing Ford administrative offices and the main body of the Highland Park Plant, which is still there.

The photos of the Model T's being assembled are an reactment from the 1930's, although probably accurate, since certainly many of those who worked on the first assembly lines were still around, many actively building cars.

Bob Cosgrove

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good find Forwardlook and welcome to the Forum.

GM couldn't wait to tear down the Olds plant, did they?

Chrysler_transport
Username: Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 56Pacman for the Briggs plant list, i needed that.

This video is neat, but how do you download it? or is that not allowed?
Chrysler Jet Engine Plant;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2M1ky8vUK5M

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed the streets north of 8 mile rd in Warren that run up to Sherwood from VanDyke are named after Detroit auto company's, many now gone. Can anyone confirm this? How long have they been named this way?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 814
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those streets on either side of Van Dyke, north and south of Nine Mile Road, were named after various automobile makes and models. 1932 Sanborn maps show those areas as being fully subdivided but only partially built on. At that time, most of those homes that had been built were on the streets nearest either 9 Mile Rd. (it was then known as the community of Van Dyke) or near 8 Mile Rd. (known as the community of Baseline). At the time, these unincorporated communities were part of Warren Township.

There are eleven automobile street names in that area (or twelve if you count Republic, which was a truck manufacturer). Interestingly, in 1932 there were two additional streets on the west side of Van Dyke that had originally been given automobile names: Meadow was King and Orchard was Lincoln.

Here is an excerpt of the 1932 map showing the 9 Mile and Van Dyke area:

map

(Message edited by Mikeg on May 03, 2007)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that area is known as the Temrowski subdivision, from what I remember from Planning Dept notices. There was someone with that name who had a large antique auto collection housed in the Utica/Romeo area a few years ago, and had a real estate office on Van Dyke, just south of 8 Mile. Not sure if any of that is connected, but it seems likely.

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were Timken, or Jewett auto makers? Lozier sounds like one.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 518
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Timken was and is a bearing manufacturer. Jewett was an automobile as was Lozier.

Bob Cosgrove

Mikeg

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Sanborn maps, the "Leo A. Temrowski's Subdivision" consisted of the lots on King (now Meadow) St., Niemen (now Prospect) St. and Warta (now Westminster) St., all on the west side of Van Dyke.

All of the subdivisions to the north of Temrowski's were "Piper's Van Dyke Subdivision" and "Piper's Van Dyke Subdivision No. 3" (along with subdivisions No. 4, No. 6 and No. 9). The "Piper's 1st Van Dyke Farms Subdivision" (along with their 2nd, 3rd and 4th subdivisions) were on the east side of Van Dyke between Lozier and Toepfer Streets.

This old map from sometime prior to 1926 shows the location of the Piper Farms subdivisions and also indicates that the Piper Realty office was located in Detroit on Gratiot Ave. near Van Dyke Ave. Back in the 1960-70's, I think I also remember seeing the Temrowski Realty office on Van Dyke, just south of 8 Mile Road.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some upcoming car events that might be of interest...

“The Packard Motor Car Company,” Saturday, May 12, 2007, 2pm. John MacArthur, president of the Packard Motor Car Foundation, describes the company's historic proving grounds site in Shelby Township, its role during WWII and its future as a museum. Part of A Legacy of Service and Courage: The World War II Generation program hosted by the Macomb Community College Macomb Cultural Center running from February 17 through May 19. All events are free of charge and held in the Macomb Cultural Center, unless otherwise noted, next to the Macomb Center for the Performing Arts, located at southwest corner of M-59/Hall Road and Garfield Road in Clinton Township. Preregistration required for all events, excluding exhibits. Call (586)445-7348 to register. For a full schedule of events and exhibits, see: http://www.macombculturalcente r.com/index.htm

44th Annual Carnival of Cars, Sunday, June 10, 2007. Car show, swap meet and car corral sponsored by the Michigan Region CCCA and contributing to the restoration of the historic Packard Proving Grounds (http://www.packardmotorfdn.org /projects.htm). Featuring a special “Members Circle” exhibit of special classic cars providing a unique opportunity to see cars that are usually seen only at concour style events such as Pebble Beach and Meadowbrook. See the Albert Kahn-designed English Tudor-style Gate Lodge, currently being restored. The Carnival is held at the Packard Proving Grounds, VanDyke and 22 1/2 Mile Rd. Spectator Parking on Mound at 23 Mile Road with free shuttle service. Hours: 8. a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission: $5, children under 12 free. http://www.carnivalofcars.com/

The Deuce@75 is a car show highlighting the 1932 Ford and the Ford Flathead where it all began, Dearborn, Michigan. The Ford Motor Company, the MHRA (Michigan Hot Rod Association) and the Early Ford V-8 Club of America bring you this 75th anniversary celebration of an American classic. You'll be able to show off your '32 Ford or Flathead powered vehicle while seeing Deuces from around the country in the place they all originated. The four-day event (August 9-12) packs plenty of other activities including a kick off party, swap meet, assembly plant and museum tours, drive-in date night, and more. http://www.deuce75.com/

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6261
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI - I was in Toledo today, and noticed that the old Overland Plant is about 90% demolished.

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have information on the Chrysler plastics factory on exeter?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3340
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have nothing; not when it opened or closed, when it was built, not even sure of the address. Exeter is only a few blocks long and I have to believe it was this hodge-poge of buildings at the northwest corner of State Fair & Exeter:

Chrysler Exeter Plastics?

Chrysler Exeter Avenue

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Saturday, June 16, 9am-5pm, the Benson Ford Research Center of The Henry Ford is selling its oversupply of automotive literature. Everything from A to Z and in-between, including the Big Three and foreign manufacturers. Includes sales literature materials, parts and service manuals and more!

Free admission!

Benson Ford Research Center
http://www.thehenryford.org/re search/events/default.asp

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mikem, I cant find anything ether. Thats the most likely spot i guess.

Aiw

Post Number: 6279
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a recent find from a local junk shop.

patch

From what I've gathered the Windsor Spring Plant closed in the early 80's (82 or 83). It was located on Ellis @ McDougall. The plant is still an auto parts supplier.

The Chrysler Canada Plants are/were all assigned numbers:

Plant 1: Tecumseh Rd @ McDougall - Demolished
Plant 2: Engine Plant - Demolished
Plant 3: Built 1927 - Still in service as the Minivan Plant
Plant 4: ?
Plant 5: ?
Plant 6: Pilette Rd Truck Plant - Opened 1976 - Demolished 2002/3

I'm guessing that the spring plant must have been assigned # 4 or 5, maybe the powerhouse (still operating) was assigned a number as well.

Chrysler Transport, do you know anything about the Canadian Numbering system?

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder whats going to happen to the Ford Wixom Plant...I know the GMC plant in Pontiac is slowly being torn down.

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW, thanks for the windsor info!
I paid a visit to the Chrysler Canada Headquarters to search for information but i didnt find much. Im still sorting thru it. Theres talk of taking over the Maxwell plants in the spring of 1925. (61,000 feet of floor space, on less than 7 acres of land.)(by 1927 they expanded, and again in 1928)In 1929 they completed a new passenger car plant on the outskirts of Windsor (plant 3).(280,740 sq feet)But who knows where? so i guess they would be low numbered. Then with the purchase of Dodge and Graham Bros. they likely took those plants as well, if there were any. There was a parts facility purchase in Chatham, Ontario @ 1938, a second one in Moncton, N.B. in 1953. 1954,55,and 57 additional parts plants in Red Deer, Alta.,Regina, Sask., and Vancouver, B.C. respectively. A personnel bldg and Hospital was completed in 1951. Lets see... Early in 1927 they leased the former fisher body co plant on Edna Street in Windsor (Walkerville). This freed up floor space in the Tecumseh Road East Plant. The Engine plant - 1937-38. The Walker Metal Products Foundry was aquired in 1964. Ill keep checking.

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got some more;
Plant 1 Tecumseh and McDougal 1925 Truck plant
Plant 2 Motor Plant
Plant 3 Passenger Plant (Still going)
Plants 4&5 Chatham Ont parts plants

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plant 6 was the Van plant, torn down Just a few years ago.

Aiw

Post Number: 6305
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. The old Fisher Body on Edna burned to the ground in the late 70's early 80's. Did you find any information when Plant 1 closed? It was a vacant lot by the time I moved down here in 1989.

Here's a few of the old Plant # 1

Here's the old Fisher Body

I still owe you a photo of the Windsor Transit Terminal too...

Aiw

Post Number: 6306
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like I found my own answer.

Plant 1 closed in 1978
Plant 2 opened in 1938, closed in 1980.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GMC plant in Pontiac is being torn down?News to all of us up here in the P.Which one,the one on Woodward and South Blvd.Or the one on Opdyke.
The plant on Joslyn and Columbia is being expanded.The old Fisher Body plant on Baldwin,Fiero plant to some,is still there.The foundry was torn down and the new Postal Dist. center has been built,but not finished.Sorry about the pics I promised,couldn't size them right for posting.Any hints and the pics will appear,I swear.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luckycar,

I use IrfanView to resize my pics and also reduce their file size. Go to their site and download the free program to your hard drive, then open the pic you want to post.

To post a pic here, it must be no larger than 550 pixels (either width or height) and less than 50 K file size.

Open the photo to be resized using Irfanview and then go to "Image", "Resize" and set the largest Width or Height number to 550 or less, then click "OK". Then go to "File", "SaveAs", select "JPG-JPEG files", check the "Show Options Dialog" box, and set the "save quality" slider to about "70" to get the file size under 50 K, then click "Save".

Chrysler_transport

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks AIW, Good info for my project.You don't have anything on those Chatham plants do you?

Aiw

Post Number: 6308
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a few older plants in Chatham, but I don't know the background on them.

I wonder if one of them is now the International Truck plant?

Let me see what I can dig up...

Aiw

Post Number: 6310
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a fire Thursday night at the old Seagrave Fire Truck factory in Windsor. It has been ruled as arson, there was $250k in damage, luckily none of it structural.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go, Chrysler_Transport, from the 1971 annual report