Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through September 17, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Eddie Rutherford could have used him to play along with Ed Budde.......Since EB got married during HS....did FOX film the wedding????

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I believe that EB and CB had one and one on the way on graduation day.

Eastside61

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I can remember E Ruth. running EB out of the backfield during some games for fun.......or intimidation.....ER lived on Mapleridge with us good guys....and he did not wear italian clothes as rumored

Goblue

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: EB put an end to my football career when ER stationed me in the defensive backfield with a blocking dummie...EB and I were both freshman...he was 6'3" and weighed around 200...I was 5'8" and weighed maybe 120...EB's job was to come through the line and make the block on the dummie I was holding...he looked like a freight train coming at me...knocked the dummie and me flying (spare me the quips!)...I decided right then and there that football was not my game...turned to hockey the next season...the stick was a hell of an equalizer when I was outsized!

Regarding Italian clothes...they looked one hell of a lot better than those pegged pants and greasy do's that the Mapleridge Mob was noted for.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although this is a Heilmann thread I thought this item from the Notre Dame HS Alumni newsletter was of interest to the northeast side community

An item from Jim Mandl (editor of the Notre Dame Alumni News Letter)

1. South Shore Educational Academy - That is the name that will be on the
front of the old Notre Dame building. I have met with the new owners of
the building. The AOD sold the school to a Baptist Church from Detroit -
East Lake Baptist. They plan to open the building as a charter high
school sometime in September. Yes, this month. They allowed me and my
dad to walk through the school, take photos, and rescue some more items
that were left as 'junk' by another group that was permitted access to the
building last spring. We recovered items su ch as football game films from
the early 1960's through 2005, photos, yearbooks, plaques, and other items
we felt had historical significance. There were about 30 broken windows, a
musty smell in the basement, and a lot of crickets running around, but for
sitting vacant for over two years, the building seemed to be in pretty
good shape. They will be using the old rectory as a boarding facility so
kids from all areas of Detroit may attend the school. I will have more
information to pass along about the old school in the very near future.

Goblue

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Good to hear from you...glad that they were able to rescue those materials...they are absolutely priceless.

Eastside61

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - was there a pic of GB holding SJ really close at a ND dance???? and then he heads down to Fairview and Goethe to date SE girls...???

Rocket_bozo
Username: Rocket_bozo

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - Hang on to those Notre Dame yearbooks, they need to be digitized for genealogy purposes.

Eastside61

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - we will have great photos for the Eastside Historical works !!!

Rocket_bozo
Username: Rocket_bozo

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - BT, the former Notre Dame High School Counselor stopped by my office this summer with his daughter. I hadn't seen him in several years

Goblue

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: That HAS to be a shot in there of ES & SH in a car parked behind the school!!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR / GB - GB I know you have not slept since last Saturday night but I think the three of us need to have our picture taken for the book right in the middle of Heilmann.........Oh!!! GB - I have the photos from behind Denby - should I send them to you????

Kellyroad

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for clarification...It was Jim Mandl and his dad who recently visted NDHS.

If by chance you would like to receive the NDHS Alumni newsletter contact Jim at jmandl@friendsofnotredame.com

Kellyroad

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES,
I can only account for 4 yearbooks at NDHS (68-71); however, I'm sure the vast photo collection archived would reveal GB's activities at least in Harper Woods in the late 50s.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, ES
Oh that reminds me...along with all the memorable activities at Denby, the adventures on Duchess street behind the school was probably the best education a young lad experienced at that time.

Goblue

Post Number: 351
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR & ES: Never heard of Duchess Street...the pics must be of ES & SH at the Duchess Drive-In...I was never there myself but I did hear the tales about it.

Eastside61

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - GB will lie about his whereabouts...he has done it in court and used to do it when living on the eastside.....Even before GPS he knew how to find Duchess......he even tried to get a waitressing job at the 'Duchess Drive -IN' so that he and SJ could find each other (cough) as he drove her home near Carleton....We will have to really monitor his chapters for the book.....

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When are you going to start the book!
Sheesh been lookin for it on Amazon.

George
Heilmann baseball and softball player
Lappin,Manning and Novara resident from 1972 until 1995

Eastside61

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G44 - What chapter do you want to author and add to the classic EASTSIDE History......you bring the 70's to 90's perspective that GB and myself have observed but from places away from Motown..

Goblue

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G44: At last ES61 has stated the truth!!...we need your perspective from the '70's - '90's...ES was serving time in a halfway house in that era and I was busy building my career...in the S.E...we need your input.

Eastside61

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G44 - GB had issues at a HS prom where he was actually arrested by the DPD ( Officer Hennick) O Hennick was the arresting officer. Prom experiences could be several chapters if GB is the author!!!!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's this for the book cover?....a picture of the Heilmann tennis court in its current condition (see picture in previous posting) with the 3 authors dressed in modern day tennis garb and the latest tennis gear in front. The title: TENNIS ANYONE?(How an urban community seemingly change over night) OR

MY ROUTE BOOK (with a close up picture of the route book)...What happened to the milk chute? (The rapidity of change in a Detroit neighborhood)

(Message edited by kellyroad on September 13, 2007)

Eastside61

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - I lived at 15847 Eastwood and I see a house right across the street in abandoned and up for auction....I know that GB's home on Fordham is no more......Instead of a book how about a DVD....

GB - please read links above!!!! The police still have warrants out for you....

KR - Actually the tennis courts at Denby was so bad in the 60's that we did not play at home......

Gtat44

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys, I'm getting ready to hit the sack here, have to work at midnight. Look for a post from Sat early A.M.
I have some perspective on the fun times that you experienced and the start of the eventual decline of OUR eastside park. If you guys are serious I would love to contribute in any way I can.
G

Goblue

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G44: We're real serious...ES has nothing but time since he's serving it...I'm heading to the mountains with a couple of horses for the weekend...be back on Sunday P.M....this retirement thing is killin' me!!!

ES: The thing I wanna know...ME met SH...so you say...but...did she know WHO she was!?!?! And...what your role had been in SH's "development" so to speak!?!?!? da, da, da, dum!!!!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G44,
I would very much like to see your contribution on Heilmann and the surrounding neighborhood...

Eastside61

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CO-Authors- GB is in rehab this weekend and might not be seen for weeks if the u OF m loses again on Saturday. GB's great perspective will be unique because of his experiences in the juvenile justice system - attending Denby on a part time basis and playing hockey at the original outdoor Heilmann rink in the 50's.

Gtat44

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We moved to 15834 Lappin in 1972 after living at Patton and Schoolcraft the 1st 8 years of my life.
I noticed a difference already at that young age, after living in a neighborhood,that was mostly low income families from the south, we came to a real neighborhood. This one was multi-ethnic hardworking families. On our street alone there wer Polish,Italian,German, and Slovak just to name a few. There were peach and apple trees in every other yard. Mr. Mario on the corner of Rex had a whole yard full of grapevines.
After a couple of years of "staying in front of the house" I was allowed to venture around so to say. Almost immediately I made a bee line for the large "field" that I used to think was so far away two blocks down. Never in my life had I seen such a huge open space. I could see endless adventures coming my way and being only 10 the view from Crusade over to Brock seemed like miles away.
I LOVED baseball and right at the corner of my street was a real baseball diamond. No match for the one I designed in my backyard with the "pitchback".
I ran the bases and did my own play by play until I was sweating. Thats when I really knew that I was going to love this neighborhood and that this park was going to be the centerpiece of what I thought was the rest of my life.

More later

Kellyroad

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat,
If you went swimming at Heilmann in the 70s we may have met since I life guarded there and swam there. Yes, as you stated, Heilmann seemed like a field of "endless adventures" awaiting the community on the far east side of Detroit. You lived only a block away from St. Jude Church/school.....that neighborhood in the 60s and 70s was very vibrant.......kids EVERYWHERE.

Goblue

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat, KR & ES: Once again ES was correct...rehab in the San Juan Mts. that are covered with Ponderosa Pines and Aspen at 7,500-9,000 ft. on horseback does wonders for clearing...whatever needs to be cleared...a campfire, wind in the pines, ice cold Corona...close to as good as it gets.

Its interesting to read Gtat's thoughts about a ten year old's perceptions of the neighborhood about a mile northeast of Fordham & Celestine. His are about the same as mine in the '40's until I left to go to WMU in '59.

I left Detroit (actually Harper Wds.) for good in '69...my folks sold the house on Fordham in '71 and moved to a condo in Warren where they were very unhappy...they were Detroiters period. At that point the 7 & Gratiot neighborhood was still fairly stable but not the same that it had been for decades...the old families had moved out for the most part. It was no longer the Italian, Polish, German, etc. neighborhood that it had been...it didn't look the same...trees had been cut down...it had lost the sense of neighbor connectiveness that had held it together for the years 1930-70. Its interesting to me since Gtat reports that on the north side of 7 Mile and the east side of Hayes the sense of neighborhood was present in '72. At one point we wondered if the changes occurred primarily in the frame house neighborhoods...but my recollection is that Gtat's neighborhood was also frame homes...so, is there some other variable that was influencing the changes??

Its a small example but I recall that one of the problems my folks had was that people visiting the house next door would simply pull up and park in their driveway (the neighbor's house had no driveway) without caring that it caused a problem for my folks when they wanted to get out...that sort of thing never would have happened when their neighbor was the Cardinali family. The sense of caring about neighbors and looking out for them was gone.

My dad died in '84...by then Fordham Street was moving into deterioration. By the time my mother died in '96 it was deteriorated...trash in the streets, houses boarded up and/or burned out, cars on blocks...it was the saddest thing to see...like that DVD re: Doble St. that was posted a few weeks ago. It is amazing to me now to look at Google Earthwatch and see the vacant lots through the whole area.

But...what a wonderful place to grow up and go to school with Heilmann as the centerpiece of recreation...sans swimming pool in my era...baseball and ice skating/hockey were the prime activities. I don't recall tennis courts but we considered that to be a somewhat effete sport anyway!! Translation...none of us could figure out how to play it...or keep score!! I think my dad worried about me when I took up golf at age 14...tennis would have put him over the top!! He was strictly a football and baseball sort of guy.