Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Tigers 2008 Optimism Thread « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4187
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to stoke up the hot stove a little early because I am excited about the future of this team.

When asked if I was disappointed with the 2007 Tigers, I replied that had I known two years ago that the Tigers would be in a playoff race until three days from the end of the season, I would have been ecstatic. Give us Roger's 10+ W-L of last year and we would have finished 2 ahead of Cleveland. So it was a great year.

IMO, last year was an aberration. All the stars aligned -- a virtually injury-free season, the right manager arrived, sensational rookies made immediate impact and other young players matured. This year was more in line with the natural trajectory this rising team has been on.

This year's team came apart at several key moments, but the future looks absolutely bright. The offense was incredible, four players with over 100 runs scored, two with 200+ hits, and lots of emerging players sitting in the wings. Mags, Granderson and Polanco were sensational. A perfect mix of veterans and youth makes for a promising future.

The season's end also saw a lot more promise appear from seemingly nowhere -- Jurrjens, Bazardo, Vásquez impressed me, while the journeymen Byrdak and Seay solidified the missing left arms in the bullpen. Raeburn, Timo Perez and Hessman could all become forces on the bench.

My wish list -- power at first base fix [get the 2008 version of Darryl Evans], a scarey lights out closer and Maybin becoming all he promises to be.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6012
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure Lowell, but to a certain degree you're sort of getting your wish at first with Guillen moving over there in 2008. He's not exactly lights out power but still consistent at around .300 and is a switch hitter.

That being said, on my wish list would be to have the left side of the infield hit a little better. Whether it's Santiago or Infante (or someone else) at SS, we need some hitting from them. Same with Brandon Inge. Defensively they seem fine but hitting- more importantly timely hitting seemed to be an issue from those positions.

I think we have the ingredients & personnel that COULD contend. Obvioulsy 2006 proved we could because all of the stars came into alignment. What are the secret formula that will push us over that edge? Luck, health and confidence.

Next year they will have to start addressing the concerns at catcher (I think Pudge will be back for 2008 but that'll be it), another starter (Kenny Rogers could be retiring), and whether Zumaya or Rodney is going to be the closer long term (having Jones back for one more couldn't hurt). I think our outfield is about as deep and talented as any in the league with the likes of Granderson, Maybin, Ordonez, Thames and Rayburn.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Vásquez impressed me...

Please explain. In 5 games (3 as a starter):

16.7 innings pitched
16 earned runs
7 home runs
5 walks
8.64 ERA
1.920 WHIP (walks plus hits per inning pitched)

Also, in Jurrjens' last two games he started he lasted about 5.1 innings with an ERA over 14. When he was on, he was lights out, but very inconsistent.

Granted, I'm excited over young new arms, too, but I would definitely not be impressed with those stats.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 831
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just when we thought Bonderman finally was going to be a star he went into the tank. Im not sure whats going on there but we need him as a reliable everyday starter.
As far as Pudge, his option is for 13 million, thats a lot of money, but I think one more year is our best bet.
I dont like the idea of Guillan at first unless they have plans for a big free agent ss.
Sheffield needs to be healthy and back next year.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 790
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VERY excited about next year. We've got a good core group of players (even without Pudge, Jones or Rogers) and we've got GREAT prospects in the minors. With Ilitch opening his pocketbook, Dombrowski and Avila in the front office and Leyland on the field, things are finally looking up!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't envision Illitch paying Pudge $3 million to go away when the best catchers we have are Rabelo and Wilson.

Pudge's bat may be weaker, but he still has a cannon for an arm.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not much in the way of catching talent available on the free agent market. We could bring back former Tigers Paul Bako, Robert Fick, or Brad Ausmus!

Is there a scenario that allows Pudge to re-sign for less after a buy-out--e.g., after May 15?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4203
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep Ivan by a means. The Tiger turnaround started with him. His defense is superb. He can run better than any other catcher even at his age. His hitting [even in its diminished state] is still outstanding for a catcher. Then there are his intangibles.

IMO there is no coincidence about his arrival and the rise of Tiger pitching, especially among the young guns.

Can you imagine being a rookie, shaking like a leaf and jacked on adrenaline, taking the mound in the big show for the first time and having the reassurance of Pudge behind the plate? If you are a Spanish speaking kid in a strange city, even more comforting.

Pay him the money, he has earned all of it and millions more, then get the discount in the next contract. Keep him in the organization. He is the genuine item.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 386
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He can run better than any other catcher even at his age.

And his 2 steals in 4 attempts this year prove that. 15th out of all catchers this season.

I can't say ditch Pudge for next season, but I'm hoping we can platoon more. 9 walks in over 500 AB is unacceptable.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.