Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through September 15, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Refresh this aging memory. I think there was a store/soda fountain just across Kelly from Denby H.S. what was the name of it?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger: You're right...there was a shop right across the street...name escapes me but for some reason I think it was the owner's first name...a woman...someone will know...likely ES...he has the memory of an elephant and a nationwide network!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S4M and GB - K's............

Senior
Username: Senior

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K's was the official short form for Kalkanis, which was the owners real name. I think they had a son, Nick, who was a student in the early 50's.

When did K's close up, does any one remember?

Senior

Eastside61

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S - I thought it closed well before I graduated in '61......

Goblue

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I don't think so...I think it was still open in '59...could be wrong but that seldom happens...occasionally I'm mistaken.

Eastside61

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I looked for the upset university of M in the top 25.....must have been a misprint or something......back to K's ....isn't that where you took SH on your first date? You Fordham guys know of all the great places........Do you remember SH's HS sorority????? you were probably at WMU pretending you were sick so that you could hang with the Med techs.....

Goblue

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Naw...only had one date with SH...which was rather dumb of me...we doubled with a buddy and her sister to a grasser at some flooded gravel pit down toward Toledo.

Eastside61

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Oh!!!! Sweet Sharon.......cool but did not have the spirit that SH had for fun ........Give your horse some extra cob and ride off into the sunset to find her.....it is your loyal Fordham duty.....

Goblue

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: OH MAN!! Don't tell me about SH's good time spirit!! Sharon was a good ol' girl...more ethereal...more of a goody, goody than your good time girl. Classic case of oldest do-right sibling. SH was just too young when I went out with her...she was probably a freshman.

My Sausalito friend tells me that she sees her regularly......

Eastside61

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Should i check with Tuschak to see if Sharon T. is still single...? You have this Sharon thing.....and you are right on about first born..........us second people walked on the wildside....

Goblue

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Same with my older sister...she resented it that I wouldn't play by the rules.

Eastside61

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - What rules?????? Are you ready to wear your banana head helmet on Saturday????? What if they go down 0 - 2????

Suicide Prevention is posted next to the phone right?????

Goblue

Post Number: 335
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: MUTHER F___K!!!! I can't believe this...between you and a colleague from Notre Dame!!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - In front of 106 thousand...? This is so great!!!!! I mean really GREAT!!!!! and ND is comin' to town.....MOST MELLOW!!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Enjoy it while it lasts!! We're still on for $20 for the MSU game!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Let's all sing......You boys from Fordham with those high voices.....get ready..."Hail to the Golden Dome"....."Watch the banana heads keep loosing"........and on and on!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 346
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Interested in doubling up????

By the way...read that the cadets at Annapolis will be conducting torpedo drills on the Chesapeake for the rest of this month...enjoy the sailing trip.

Eastside61

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Just received a call from brother Bob and the trip has been cancelled until May 08 - His wife will be under going surgery next week and at least I will not have to walk the plank until may....I was looking forward to it but Robin needs to get well.......sailin' in secondary!!!! Does Doubling mean that you expect the uOFm to loose 4 in a row?????

Goblue

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Sorry to hear about Bob's wife...hope nothing too serious...although any surgery is serious. Yer spared the plank for a few more months matey!!

M has ALREADY lost 4 in a row...OSU, Rose Bowl, App. St. and now OR...and now Notre Dame this weekend...what a revoltin' development!! Doubling up to $40???

Eastside61

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - and I get 12 points.....Do you know how hard it is for me just to be talking about 'taking' ND........so ND +12 works for $40!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 354
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: No, no, no....forget ND...and for damn sure forget points....MSU even up for $40!! Who does MSU play this week...St. David's Multiple Amputees???

Eastside61

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Big brave Fordham boy....has turned into instant Jello....I get 12 and you get your butt beat again....It is so simple....call LV if you want and then I will also take your $$$$ when MSU crushes what we in E Lansing call the "corn" and blue boys.....I take Paypal...

Goblue

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: If M loses to ND I get 17 pts. for the Greenie Game...for $40!!...cash or wire transfer...your choice.

Eastside61

Post Number: 253
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You say "IF".....sit down and take a deep breath....The Eastside rules are that we take it one game at a time so that you will be able to recover. The SPARTAN v. uofm game will be discussed more than likely from some psych ward of the local hospital in Prescott. Can non-family members visit because I will take advantage of ME's UAL employee pass and fly down so that I consult with your doctors and collect all my money....Remember to pick the horse "Lepage" he is slow and soon to be part of a glue bottle

Goblue

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If M dumps off to ND AND the Greenies I think maybe I'll move to Honduras!

Eastside61

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Let me know where so I can go to Google Earth to find you!!

Rocket_bozo
Username: Rocket_bozo

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly Road Soda Shops - I thought there were two shops, K's and Alphas? straighten me out. My wife, Pat Kelly '63 patronized another Denby hang out, the Dutchess Drive-In on morang. I think the Dutchess was torn down for a Michigan Bank in the late '60's

Eastside61

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket - GREAT memory!!! I forgot about Alpha's.....It was the in place right across the street - I think on the corner of Kelly and Cedargrove.....What grade school did Pat attend.....????

Mudvilleusa
Username: Mudvilleusa

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended Denby summer school 1957 and recall that the principal had a Foxy daughter. Does anyone recall his/their name?