Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through September 11, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Is Sausalito a street in Prescott?????

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 302
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The story was that she had moved out on the guy she'd been living with in Sausalito and was heading for the hills....at this point I don't know which hills...will keep you advised.

Eastside61

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I still have the prom e mail address....but I guess you won't need it

Goblue

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You make the contact...let me know if she is still 5'3" and 110 lbs.

Eastside61

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Chicken.......

Goblue

Post Number: 310
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Mama specialized in raisin' crazies....not stupids!!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are all the Denby Tars?
who knows

Eastside61

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty2 certainly never lived on the EASTSIDE.......

Goblue

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: L2 sounds more like downriver.

Eastside61

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Like Cleveland???? I see that KellyRoad has abandoned the TARS once again........I hope that she did not attend the u OF m....

Goblue

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Didn't know that KR was a "she"...hope she comes back...neither of us know how to write much more than our names!

Eastside61

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - we did get past 8th grade at Columbus........didn't we????

Goblue

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yup...Mrs. Swanson liked me!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - wasn't mrs S running the emotionally disturbed class on the second floor.....towards the middle of the building

Goblue

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: There were definitely a couple of ED's in our 8th grade class...can't name there here though.

Eastside61

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I am still trying to figure out what DPS did with special needs children.....probably nothing to speak of....they just seemed to disappear.....probably housed down on I 94 and Van Dyke......or shipped out to Australia....

Goblue

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I don't think DPS did anything with special needs kids...at least not in the 40's and 50's...I do remember some kind of special room at Columbus for kids who were sort of sickly...they all looked sort of pale...like maybe they weren't going to make it...not sure what that was...the room was darkened a lot...I guess so they could nap...and they got extra milk and cookies...not the sort of place you wanted to be.

I remember too, at least one severely mentally impaired girl in our neighborhood...she didn't go to school...she was a little older...maybe a teenager...one day when we were maybe 9-10 one of the a-holes in neighborhood was teasing her in the corner grocery store...she grabbed him in a headlock, lifted him off the ground and was beating the shit out of him while the rest of us cowered near the candy counter...she had the front door blocked to prevent escape by the innocent...the owner gently told her to put him down...when she did he had already pissed his pants and left a brown streak out the door and down the block...a-hole is probably still running...funny today as I relate it...she got in several good whacks to the head before she let him go...the rest of us didn't even bother with our daily dose of penny candy...it was time to beat it...bad juju.

The ED's probably just got the shit beat out of them until they became sufficiently subdued...I think we had a least one of those in my Columbus class. The whole issue of special needs wasn't pretty in those days.

Eastside61

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Right on observations......I do remember the upstairs room...I think they also kept the windows open....sometype of fresh air therapy.....nice in Jan and Feb.....I think I will talk late 50's yearbooks when I got sailing with B later this month....I hope he can dig up more dirt about you Fordham guys.....I might try my trump card with the CSI girls about SH......we need info above and beyond your Norcal sightings.......have you e mail Sally yet????

Goblue

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Guess I lost her email address.

Eastside61

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - it is in the barn hidden under one of the saddles......on a stickey.......Sally is 103 lbs and lookin good......she married a guy named Wally????

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 511
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were there ever any after school fights? Did you smoke in the bathroom? Were there lots of drugs floating around back then?

Eastside61

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T - There was this older guy....lived on Fordham and Celestine who was a little nuts and would try to fight all the time. He was finally sighted by the DPD and eventually was sent to Jackson State Prison.....I did read in the Northeastern Shopper recently that he was living in Arizona.........He also had a fixation about younger women and the foot of Lakewood below Jefferson....

Goblue

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You goin' straight to hell Boy!! Just as soon as Wally gets through with you.

T: As you are now well aware...there is a psychologist living in the San Fran area who is a tad teeched!! You know what they say about those California folks!! Anyway...in his younger days he was a member of an eastside group known as the Mapleridge Mob...they terrorized the area around Columbus Elementary for several blocks in every direction...not unlike the Hell's Angels...they even had their special babes who were introduced to the ways of the Mob...one had the initials of SH...she was ES's special babe...its frightening to think of what all he introduced her to...I even understand that she had his initials tattooed in a somewhat intimate location but I can't personally vouch for that...the thing that's sad is that his father was a noted Wolverine and Detroiter and his brothers were/are both really outstanding individuals...every family has one I guess!

There might have been an occasional after school fight...strictly with fists...but they were rare. Most of us simply paid protection to the Mob. The same with smoking in the bathrooms...pretty rare...and I don't ever remember hearing about drugs of any kind...we're talking the late 50's now.

Eastside61

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB -T - Once in a while there was stuff happening during football games with Pershing when about 6000 people would attend....DHS was so lame in basketball even when GB was a cheerleader that nothing happened. I will say that GB was right about the Mapleridge group that controlled the neighborhood east of Hayes...but this Italian dressed dude over off of Celestine at times would try to make inroads with the Mapleridge women.....he did pull a fast one with a very pius little Tar and conned her in to going to the prom...there are photos of her and he was wearing some type of Italian shoes called piatto's....really pointed toes but GB was into ballet and that kind of stuff...I think he eventually was a cheerleader at WMU and u or m...

Goblue

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T: ES is right about the Pershing games...I do remember one ugly incident after one of those games...lots of cops broke it up. Obviously ES is still...after all these years...green (in more ways than one) regarding the prom date...but then she was far too classy to be associated with the Mob...come to think so was SH...I've never figured that one out...hope she was able to get the tattoo removed...from her whatever.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=b6badaf9 c90e48e256245a01ab85496f&q1=De nby&rgn1=vmc_ti&op2=And&q2=&rg n2=vmc_ti&type=boolean&med=1&v iew=thumbnail&c=vmc

more pictures of Denby High from virtual city wsu

Goblue

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Cool pics!! I'm willing to bet that ES remembers all of those events...he's as old as dirt!!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES or GB,
My affiliation with Denby was driver's training, typing and swimming lessons, using the back wall for tennis practice, running laps around the track, shooting hoops etc. I also worked as a life guard there via the Detroit Parks and Rec. One person I do remember was Roger Palmatier (sp?) He might have been AD or football coach..??? Any insight as to where his career ended? Is he still around?

Goblue

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I remember Roger Palmatier from the late 50's...not sure about the spelling either...I'd be real surprised if he's still working...he'd have to be around at least 80 now.

Eastside61

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - GB - Roger Parmentier stepped in after ERutherford headed off to coach football at MSU....."Big Roger".....How you doin' GB with your "Hail to the Victors"?????? This is the big one this weekend (cough) I think that KR with her Catholic traditions will prevail....Henne is out and the whole team is out to lunch...do something about the helmets.....looks like something from Flash Gordon......Ming must have had a hand in the design....