Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » The Detroit Lions » Archive through September 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5744
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So 20043_stotter, what kind of fan are you? Obviously you care enough about the Lions to rant on those of us who still care. If the Lions are really that shabby, why do you even care about what Lilpup or any other fan cheer for? You watch half a game for laughs? Talk about fair weather!

Would you be that much happier if we were like Los Angeles where the team took off and we don't have a team? No one's denying the fact that the Lions haven't won but as fans, we keep hoping that they will climb over that hump someday- that's what fans of ANY team (not just the Lions) do. I, for one am happy we have a team to cheer for- despite their record, play and history.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, I have been a lion fan since 1951, yes 1951. I have a right to speak about this lousy team. I have earned the right. I don't think you can match that. This owner and team sucks. You do not have the right to bitch like I have, but keep it up and keep supporting these losers and you'll never see a high quality team here. Then, you'll be bitching like me, because you will have earned the right. Right now your just a young kid (In denial, afraid the lousy team might move), fan. Well in LA they don't have a lousy team that makes promises every year for 50 years. Wait, you'll be pissed after 50 years too. You have the right to post, but you don't have the seniority to post anything worthwhile about the Lyin' lions. The fact that you still care about them shows your a young kid and have not earned the right to speak against this lousy team and owner. You haven't paid the dues. Believe me if the lions move, there will be a dog fight to get another team in here right away. The whole country knows the detroit fans will sell every game out and keep coming to support a terrible team. So you ask, what kind of lyin' fan am I? I'm NOT and you shouldn't be either. Your a fan of the laughing stock of the NFL? DUH. If I were you, I would whisper it and not say it loud. I enjoy your posts about other sports, but your all wrong about the lyin' lions. Stick with the tigers, pistons and redwings. Those posts are so much better and make sense.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stotter...

I had the same conversation 2 years ago with my soon to be in-law with season tickets at a funeral. Pathetic that he pays to support that garbage.

James

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the lions are my hometown team therefore i support them even though they make me want to vomit

Smogboy

Post Number: 5747
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So age and longevity makes you a better or more rabid fan than anyone else Stotter? We as fans suddenly have to earn our rights to complain because we've suffered more? No one's denied that you've probably suffered more as a Lions fan but then you've probably forgotten some of the things that made you follow a team in the first place. What about some of the accomplishments and highlights that this team has had as well? We all know that they haven't reached the promised land nor have even gotten within the same time zone as the Super Bowl most years, but within your bitterness have you forgotten what it's like to cheer for an underdog? Fans- true fans cheer for their teams regardless of outcome.

This team is OUR Detroit Lions team- like it or not, they are our entry into the National Football League. I don't have to pay any dues to be a fan nor does anyone else. We as fans can cheer for anyone we want to at any point. Just because you've been mired in this team's misery more than most folks here doesn't make you any better or worse of a fan. Last time I checked we fans aren't ranked as far as who is a bigger or lesser fan due to age, endurance, income, sex, ethnic background, amount of body paint or any other criteria. We support (which includes boos and cheers) our selected teams just as fervently as the next fan. I have no idea what age anyone is on this thread nor would I claim to be a "better" fan than the next person nor would I be so cavalier to assume that I have more rights or have paid more dues than the next person. A Red Wing fan that suffered 40+ years without a Stanley Cup in their midst isn't any better than the fan that just joined the month before they won the Cup; I'm sure they both savored the sweet joy of celebration.

It's obvious you can't decide whether you're a fan or not. In one breath you claim "NOT (and you shouldn't be either)" to be a fan and yet in your very first sentence you boast about being a fan since 1951 (and all of the supposed privileges that come with it).

I'm proud to support this fractured team. Like I said before, we might not be a thriving metropolis like LA with its population of over 17.6 million, but we do have an NFL team we can call our very own within our city's confines. And like Chitaku says so eloquently, they do make me want to vomit at times- but they still are the Detroit Lions, OUR hometown team; we accept them for all the hopes and dashed promises that they might spawn.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, there is no hope for you, like there is no hope for the lyin's. It's fans like you that keep the lyin's from ever investing in good coaches and players. Why should they when they have fans that find a terrible team and franchise acceptable? You are a sad, sad lost cause. Where's your self esteem? If you feel it's a privilege to be a lyin'fan, you need your head examined. I think you are just a young kid, that doesn't know what he's talking about. If you go through life, just accepting what your given, and not demanding more, than that's what your going to get, and nothing more. Some might call it a losers life, or life of a loser. You have to demand more of yourself and others to be a winner. Change, while there's still time.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, there is no hope for you, like there is no hope for the lyin's. It's fans like you that keep the lyin's from ever investing in good coaches and players. Why should they when they have fans that find a terrible team and franchise acceptable? You are a sad, sad lost cause. Where's your self esteem? If you feel it's a privilege to be a lyin'fan, you need your head examined. I think you are just a young kid, that doesn't know what he's talking about. If you go through life, just accepting what your given, and not demanding more, than that's what your going to get, and nothing more. Some might call it a losers life, or life of a loser. You have to demand more of yourself and others to be a winner. Change, while there's still time.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5755
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone wanna bet that if the Lions ever won the Super Bowl, ol' 20043_stotter will be ther first one on the bandwagon claiming that he knew them way back when? Give your shattered ankles a break there Stotter. Fans are brave enough to admit their fanaticism for a team- you obviously can't decide or too namby pamby to decide.

Debate me if you want, old man. Answer my young "uninformed" questions as opposed to calling us losers. We Lions fans want a winner- at what point did we stop wanting and demanding a winnign product? You hardly know what it's like to be a fan or you're in constant denial (see where I quoted you above). You might be older than fossils here but you sure as heck aren't any wiser than most of us. Obviously you haven't figured out how to turn the Lions franchise around with your wizened knowledge.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do empathize with stotter. After that amount of time, I bet you feel a lot like a battered wife. They keep promising it will get better, then you get pushed down the stairs all over again. Enjoy your divorce.

They are my team, though. I don't think I could root for anyone against them. I guess I will just keep making excuses for the bruises, because I love them too much to say goodbye.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5760
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can all empathize with him and any other Lions fan. We've all suffered many a Sunday but like so many other fans here, we'll still be pulling for the Honolulu blue & silver every week.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2630
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, stotter - I watch the team and consider what I see

What do you think makes a good coach? What do you think makes a good team? I've participated in team sports - I know.

(and it ain't money)

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With MArtz and Marinelli there seems to be a buzz about the up and coming season...ALso, we have some serious talent on offense. Marinelli is all about character and wanting players who play hard. I think he is slowly getting the team where he wants it to be. Its not easy turning a group of 50 + people around and making them think they can win. One thing i noticed thus far, is that the lions O is pretty fast. Faster than it has been in the past.

My prediction is 7-9 or 6-10

Ernie simms looks great...how long until he earns his first concussion?

Maybe we could get Maggs to suit up?

Smogboy

Post Number: 5764
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shhhh on the concussion thing for Ernie Simms! He was really a nice pick up last year. He seems like a solid stand-up sort of guy whom Marinelli wants around. He was on WDFN every Monday morning after a game last year; he spoke eloquently, joked, spoke candidly and seemed like a very down to earth young man.

Let's hope that the rest of the defense steps up as well. We might win a few in shoot outs but I sure as heck would feel a lot more confident about having some pass rush and secondary help.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5787
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eddie Drummond's on the outside looking in now. He just got cut today. I think he knew the writing was on the wall though. He was never offered a long term contract and the guys they brought in were much more capable of doing more than just punt/ kick returning. Is it fair? Probably not but it's the business at times. I'm sure he'll get picked up somewhere though.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Half time = Ind 21, Lyin's 3. Lyin's played their first string the whole half. Do you think if Kitna was playing, the score would be reversed?

20043_stotter

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got my laughs for the day and changed the channel.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, it looks as if the lions season has ended before it started. We all want them to win, even an unfan like me. But with this present owner, general manager, coach and players, it appears that will be impossible. The future, to me looks bleak. Even the good players can't wait to get off this laughing stock of the NFL. Believe me, as soon as the good players like Williams, Simms, and I can't think of anybody else, can bolt from this organization, they will go in a New York minute. Don't any of you see this? or do they put something in the water at the stadium? Flame away, but the win/loss record speaks for itself. By the way, what is Millens won/lost record? This team has had very high draft picks because of it poor record and Millen has shown that he doesn't recognize talent to draft and Ford gives him a raise and 5 year extension. Wow, now that's loyalty to Millen but 0 loyalty to the fans that fill the stadium. Until the fans stop going to the games, this team has no future of winning very much.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who were those guys today wearing the silver and blue? They didn't look like any Lions' team I've been watching for the last 50 years.

Is this the start of something BIG? Great start to the season, Detroit Lions fans!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

defense wins big games and the defense sucks

Smogboy

Post Number: 5900
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one ever claimed that tis first game was the Super Bowl, much less a big game... but it is the first game of the season for our Lions. It wasn't exactly picture perfect by ANY stretch but there were some glimmers of hope and some nice performances by our team. One intangible that did seem to hit me was that there wasn't a loss of composure on the team's part (Foster's three penalties being the slight hiccup in this theory) even when the Raiders took the lead. The Lions came back, scored and even kept the pressure on when the momentum seemingly swung the other way.

Again, no beauty contest but it was a victory nonetheless.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'chitaku' stated....

quote:

defense wins big games and the defense sucks....

I thought the D-fense made some timely stops...what did you see that was so awful?

The front four(Big Baby & company) played like monsters!

This team has the foundation of something special...perhaps not the 'superbowl'...but certainly an exciting team with some added swagger.

I like this team!

blksoul-atcha!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3948
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions had to get an NFL extension in order to just barely stave off a TV blackout this week--for a "community" of some 5 million. Yet, OTOH, the Green Bay Packers has some 74,000 names for its season-ticket sales--where each name (for a very few lucky souls) could win that "lottery" each year and purchase up to four season tickets, each.

From the Wiki: Lambeau
quote:

The Packers have one of the longest waiting lists for season tickets in professional sports with about 74,000 people as of May 3, 2007.

So, how come Green Bay which just hit the 100,000 population mark for the first time in 2006 can vastly outsell Detroit (which has a smaller stadium--73,000 for Lambeau Field versus 65,000 for Ford Field)?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 587
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is more to do in Detroit other than watch the Packers or eat cheese!

Last time I checked Detroit was much higher in the rankings on the "List of Cities with Things To Do" as compared to Green Bay, but this may have changed since then.

lol

20043_stotter

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, how come Green Bay which just hit the 100,000 population mark for the first time in 2006 can vastly outsell Detroit (which has a smaller stadium--73,000 for Lambeau Field versus 65,000 for Ford Field)?

Livernoisyard, It's obvious,the packers sell out because they're winners. Versus the lyin's who are losers and haven't won a championship in (50 YEARS).

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3949
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is more to do in Detroit other than watch the Packers or eat cheese!

Last time I checked Detroit was much higher in the rankings on the "List of Cities with Things To Do" as compared to Green Bay, but this may have changed since then.

Like Detroiters having a book read to them about all the great Lions' victories--completely unabridged--yet so small that it requires a microscope in order to be viewed...

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY- A book? More like a pamphlet. A tragicomedy in short story format.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, for the first time in ages, players outnumber quitters on this team.

Detroitrunaway
Username: Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. (2-0)

2. Win in OT vs. Divisional Rival

A couple of reasons why we should keep hope alive.

Go Lions! Keep it goin...and join the rest of the city on its 'crakin comeback'

detroitrunaway -

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Dcastaway' stated....

quote:

1. (2-0)

2. Win in OT vs. Divisional Rival

A couple of reasons why we should keep hope alive.

Go Lions! Keep it goin...and join the rest of the city on its 'crakin comeback'

detroitrunaway -

'Dag-gee'.... The Lions 'Cornbread' is smelling way down in Baltimore!

blksoul-atcha!