Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through September 28, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat,
Are there any families (or one person) still residing on Lappin in your old neighborhood from the 70s or even the 80s? There seem to be a few familiar names mentioned in the St. Newsletter that were parish members for quite some time (of course they could be residing outside of the parish boundaries ).... (My mother, who now resides in Warren, still gets the St. Jude newsletter mailed to her)

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I'm curious about where in Warren your mom lives...I started my career in the Warren Wds. Public Schools. My folks moved to a condo near Hoover and 12 Mile...after so many years in a house it was too confining for them...plus my dad needed public transportation...he'd had a stroke that prohibited driving some years earlier...anyway...they ended up moving back to Harper Woods...on Kingsville...right across the street from the city line...they were happier there.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - GB - G44 - We need to determine the scope of the book!!!! The time frame - The various sections and perspectives.......

Goblue

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You got a job now...since the rest of us are gainfully employed...we'll look forward to an outline in the next few days.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB,
My mom has lived in Warren (Windemere Senior Apts on Van Dyke just north of 13) for a little more a couple of years. She moved to a Condo in St Cl. Shores (from Eastwood) in 95. The sense of community and neighborhood just wasn't the same. She moved from a small town in Ontario to Detroit on Field Ave. in 1946. (near the E. Grand Blvd/Bell Isle). Detroit was THE place to be back then and to hear her recollection of what the city like 60 years ago is interesting to say the least. She observed the Eastwood-Heilmann-St. Jude community change dramatically since the 80s and still keeps up with current events via the St. Jude newsletter she has mailed to her every week.

Did your folks move into a house on Kingsville? I do recall people who lived on that street and had parts of their property in HW and parts in Detroit.

(Message edited by kellyroad on September 19, 2007)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61

Rough, rough, rough outline
-History of the first settlers (gratiot township)
-post WWII population explosion
-ethnic mix (German, Polish, Italian etc)
-Kids everywhere, the schools..Denby, NDHS, Regina, Columbus, Burbank
-Community Center...Heilmann
-Religious makeup
-The rapidity of change
-comparisons with other large urban areas
-personal anecdotes/observations
-migratory maps...where everyone went and where everyone came from just prior to moving in during the 80s, 90s, 2000s

I suggest we define the neighborhood as east of Hayes, North of 6 Mi, south of 8 Mi. and west of Kelly..We can even include an inset map highlighted on the front cover.

-

Goblue

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: My folks lived in an apartment/condo on Kingsville...about 2-3 blocks east of I-94...can't recall the cross street.

My mother was a native Detroiter...her family went back to the early French and German farmers. My dad came to Detroit about 1914 when he was ten...he was from W. Virginia...was an orphan...had an older sister who lived in Detroit and took him and a younger sister into her home.

I like your outline...a real good start...all we need to add is ES61's arrest record...just for local interest.

I would suggest that we define the neighborhood a little more broadly...maybe by Denby attendance area...although that may be too large and would lose the Heilmann neighborhood thing that we're shooting for...at the same time that would pick up ND, Regina, Austin, etc....or maybe we could look at it in smaller segments...make it by elementary school attendance areas...

I guess where I'm going with this is to try to go farther west...maybe to Chalmers...we were on Fordham a little over a block east of Chalmers...about 2-3 blocks west of Hayes...the Catholic kids in our neighborhood attended Assumption Grotto.

Anyway...thanks for the shot at it...if ES (alias Deadbeat...he's claiming no bet on ND just because I accepted after the game was over)ever wakes up from his mid-day nap I'm certain he'll have some academic thoughts.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, ES, Gtat,
I failed to mention St. Jude grade school....actually the parish and school records date back to 1941 (the first masses were in Denby auditorium) and would serve as an excellent microcosm of the northeast side as you described. The St. Jude parish boundaries were south of Bringard, north of Parkgrove, west to Landsdowne and east of gratiot (north of 7 mi) and east of Chalmers (south of 7 mi) and included the west side of Harper Woods. The data would exclude the non-catholic population at that time but could serve as a representative subset (since the Detroit population during the 40s-50s were 50% catholic).

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry I haven't responded. I will, I drive a semi during the night for Cardinal Health throughout Indiana during the week, delivering to hospital's. Look for me Sat mornings early A.M. I am very interested in contributing if only to go to "that place" in my mind. Relieve's the stress for sure.

We could get Mikem's help with an aerial photo of "The Park" from say the late 50's early 60's for the cover of the book. The title????????????
It's hard to come up with a short one.

Goblue

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Maybe it would work to use the Columbus and St. Jude attendance areas as the region to be discussed...even though the southern part of the Columbus area probably didn't relate to Heilmann until we were in high school. I was probably 12-14 before I was permitted to venture as far as Heilmann to play ball...before that it was pickup games on a large vacant lot. I'm not certain where the dividing street would have been...the Mapleridge Mob likely headed to Denby for recreation...that or the Duchess Drive-In...we'll have to ask ES61 where he went with SH to recreate.

Gtat: Drive safely...fyi, my wife is from Richmond, IN.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://tools.comm.wayne.edu/me dia/low_res/aerial_photos/wayn e/1956/ga-1-38.pdf

1956 DTE aerial photo of Heilman. Notice the military barracks on the southern end of the field.

Eastside61

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All - In other news I am amazed that the once proud ND HS was abel to field an alumni team that actually played at the big house last weekend. GB will be in charge of the "socialite - College Bound Chapter" students who were part of the neighborhood makeup....along with those who were headed to the Dodge Main, Ford or the eastside Chrysler plant....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES
Kidding aside, NDHS sent very few students to their name sake university. In fact the stats we were given at frosh orientation showed 25%of the senior class went on to U of M, 25% MSU, 25% WSU, 10% UofD, a few to the military academies and the rest to CMU, EMU, WMU Macomb,Oakland and maybe one or two to the IVY league.. Aside from the ND name of the "Fighting Irish" and having the same fight song, NDHS and the University of ND were run by different religious orders and had little in common. I don't recall one student in the four years I attended there or even my brother's era (5 years later) that went to ND university....Go figure. Speaking of NDHS and football,I do remember the tie 14-14 goodfellow game I believed played at Tiger stadium in 1965. It seemed some of the nuns at St. Jude were rooting for Denby (many families had kids at Denby) and some of the nuns rooted for NDHS. It seemed like a real big deal. If I recall correctly it was televised locally, which was a BIG deal back in the day.

(Message edited by kellyroad on September 20, 2007)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All
Non-Heilmann talk...Since our main contributors to this post have loyalties to the school that recently beat ND and the school that will play ND, consider Rob Parker's comment in the Detroit News regarding the MSU/ND match this weekend..."MSU fans be afraid, very afraid" MSU has nothing to gain by beating ND. If they beat ND, they've beat a team even Michigan beat, If they lose they'll be disgraced......a real positive commentary for all schools involved wouldn't you say???

Goblue

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: I'll take ND with 14 points for $20...maybe this time ES will pay up.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB,
14 points is a lot for a school playing at home with their backs against the wall. I wonder how quickly the Spartan flag will be planted in midfield on Sat.

Eastside61

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You were struck in the head with a ROCK while playing at Heilmann or maybe in the alley at Parkgrove and Salter.....I can't believe that you would be even asking....You broke out is a cold sweat when I asked for at least 12......you wouldn't even discuss any numbers....I will give you your14 when you give me 35 in two weeks......

Eastside61

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - While GB is recovering from his 1958 hockey head injury at Heilmann...I remembered that my father referred the 14-14 tie between Denby and NDHS.....

Goblue

Post Number: 379
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You been smokin' some of that California homegrown again!?!?!

KR: Didn't know that NDHS and U of ND were run by different orders...isn't the latter Jesuit?...what is the former? Also...just a piece of counsel...careful with the company you keep...ES's reputation is long...and often not real pretty.

Eastside61

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - I think it would be great for the books photos to have GB's post office photos (Profile only) that were recently purchased on e-bay for $ 1.43 + Shipping. It is interesting that WMU did have an outreach program with Jackson State Prison so that inmates could work towards various degrees...GB continues to speak to various parolee groups and I think he will be in Seattle this weekend doing such.....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB,
University of Notre Dame is run by the order of the Holy Cross (at least last time I checked). NDHS Harper Woods was and Notre Dame Prep (a-coed school in Pontiac) is currently being run by the Marist Order of Priests and Brothers.

Interestingly, the South Shore Academy (the charter school now occupying the former NDHS) was evicted by the state due to building condemnation. I didn't catch the details on the local news.....but I thought how ironic that this could happen so shortly after a new charter school takes residence.

Let's review: Luthern High East closes and a charter school moves in, Regina HS closes and moves to Warren, NDHS closes, is vacant for 2 years and the new charter school that occupies the building is ousted shortly after opening day.
Ah...."The times are a changing"

Eastside61

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems that the three threads about the Denby area eastside happenings is growing (1) Denby Tars, (2) Heilmann and (3) Denby High School and the featuring of them on DYes - maybe we will need to take our ideas and see where this will lead us.....GB the "Fordham sage" has taken on the total coordination of this project. I wonder if it would be possible to actually determine the Denby attendance area between 1950 to 1990.....and how Osborn, SE and Finney affected the area.....

Goblue

Post Number: 385
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Back from being sleepless in Seattle...SE was certainly the oldest of the schools...not sure what year it was built...my mother attended in 1922...my recollection is that Osborn was built in the mid to late '50's...and Finney in the '60's??

Eastside61

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - let me help you because I know you have had a bad month. SE was build in 1917 - Osborn mid 50's and Finney was a converted Elementary school that happened in the early '60's....But the Denby attendance area was HUGE.....when the nearest schools were SE and Pershing......We will figure it out at the EASTSIDE Author's summit / conference....have you scheduled the dates yet?

Does SH live in Seattle now???? Did you ask her what happened to Sharon H ?????

Goblue

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'm thinking that the author's conference should be held next summer in Ann Arbor...at one of the downtown near campus pubs.

I keep telling you...the latest word I have is the Sandy H lives in your neighborhood...while older sis is in Florida...by the way...you never did relay ME's opinion of SH at their meeting...nor did you indicate if ME actually knew the history?

Eastside61

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - TC should be the site - since most of the TARS have moved from 'Down Below' to NW Michigan. M.E stated after the reunion that she was bored and would never return to such an event...so with that i decided why give out all the details of the Parkgrove adventures.......One of the CSI sisters might be a link to the info you are seeking about her whereabouts....I think I will also let the "Bo" brothers who seem to hate you know your actual google street address. Get the horses ready so you can escape into the mountains like Osama.

Goblue

Post Number: 395
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: TC it is...as long as they have a microbrewery up there...gotta believe that they do. Wise decision re: SH and the reunion...a little info can go a long way...and come back to haunt...of course, now that ME has seen SH you'll never be allowed to attend such an event alone...probably be required to take a daughter with you. Still laughing about the Bo thread...almost too easy to jerk the chains of some of the Greenies.

Eastside61

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Get ready........we be a playin' in several weeks....

Goblue

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'll send the wire transfer number by special courier.

Eastside61

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I know that the 13 pages that the Bo book was a couple day read for you.....I get to determine the spread and you get hosed....the helmets still suck! and you know it! Step up and admit it! You will need to bring a lot of money to the TC authors / CSI convention in 08......I know that you former u OF m alumni carry or maybe only have pocket change but the SPARTANs carry folding money......will you be able to sit with us in TC and sing the MSU fight song...I know you know it......Go the through...later.