Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through September 23, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is there any free beer now? anywhere?

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pictures. A friend of mine has a family member on engine 60.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No more free beer, Lefty. If you are DFD, there is a spaghetti dinner coming up on the 26th...but you have to buy tix for that.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the looks of the sky in that Engine 57 photo, I'm guessing the boys had to sit on some wires that day.

Dfd

Post Number: 293
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you read this one?
Detroit City Services
DFD's hard work is mentioned.

Dfd

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitfirefighters.net has a post from a chief that just retired.
"reflections"
Congratulations chief.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd : I have a few copies of the Detroit
Fire Fighters Yearbook from Zoo Day.
If you are interested I will mail you a copy.
A few action shots. Photos of Administration,
Fund and Union Officers and Medal winners.
Ads from local businesses. If anyone else is
interested let me know

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 661
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The news story about the shenanigans out of the D.C. FD is outrageous.

Jjcortese
Username: Jjcortese

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take one Tony... if you don't mind :-)

Dfd

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tony. I'll take one too. What do you need from me?
jwr0512@fuse.net

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to get rid of them.
ehuegli@comcast.net

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJ, Dfd and Lansing fire:
Send me the addresses to your Fire Stations
and I will mail them to you.I think that is
the safest way. TONY. B42PemSta@alo.com .

Lansingfire

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any idea where the 12 new Engines are? I have:
E 8, 17, 38, 39, 40, 41, 44, 47, 49, & 57

That leaves E 23, 29, and 46 with regs still in 1995 * 1998

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The list I have shows assignments to:
Egns. 8,17,29,38,39,40,41,44,46,47,4 9 and 57.
I have seen 8,17,38,39,40and 57. I have been
told one rig is at the academy for training.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E47 has been at the academy for training. I believe most of the new engines are already in service, but no driver will be allowed behind the wheel until he's had formal school -- even if he is assigned to that rig. The city is taking this investment seriously.

I spent a day on one of the new engines. I loved it -- from the independent suspension (Detroit's many bumps and potholes aren't as harsh) to the new large diameter hose (4" for backstretch and relaying; more water, more water, more water) to the user-friendly pressure governor. We put the rig to heavy use that day (pumping in different situations) and it was a pleasure having such a reliable piece of equipment.

(Message edited by ffdfd on September 07, 2007)

Dfd

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice rigs! I miss the hose reels on ours. Is a "backstretch" when you drop the attack line at the fire and then drive down to the next hydrant?

Dfd

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a picture of the hose bed that can be posted?

Ffdfd

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is a "backstretch" when you drop the attack line at the fire and then drive down to the next hydrant?

No, that's our standard reverse lay. We're probably in the minority using a reverse lay as our regular stretch. A backstretch for us is basically a forward lay, taking the supply line to the hydrant. We don't do it often, but there are certain situations where it is used.

I wish I had a photo of our hose bed to post for you DFD but I don't. It's pretty unique. I don't think any other department in the country sets it up like we do. I imagine you've seen it in your travels around the city.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In firehouse 3 there's a picture, I just can't move it here. About the reverse lay.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the picture you wanted to bring over to this thread?

hose bed

Ffdfd

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The layout for the new rigs is almost identical to this^^. From right to left in the photo above:
* preconnect bed (1.5" line with nozzle)
* 2.5" bed (2.5" line with nozzle)
* stretch bed (2.5" line, wye gate, two 1.5" attack lines with nozzles -- "first" line is connected to the wye and has four lengths, with the first two-and-a-half lengths looped and the rest bundled; "second" line is three lengths bundled and not connected to the wye)

The difference is the far left bed. In the old rigs (E23 above is not getting a new rig so it will continue as shown) there is 2.5" threaded line with a hydrant adapter. This is the backstretch bed. In the new rigs, there is 800' (16 lengths) of yellow 4" line with storz connections. There is an adapter so the storz line can connect to a hydrant.

Dfd

Post Number: 298
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gottcha

Dfd

Post Number: 299
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher
Any news on the t shirts?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will be available at the Spaghetti Dinner on Sept 26th. More news to follow (I'm waiting for my contacts to let me know more).

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, I have enjoyed reading the Firehouse thread, and will admit that I've only had the opportunity to read through about 1/2 the posts at this point.
So... not sure if this has been discussed:

Wondering if anyone knows what the purpose was for tunnels leading to the basement of a firehouse?
Specifically Engine 22 on Michigan at Military. This station was built in 1896. On both the North and South walls of the basement, arched openings in the brick foundation are bricked over. I've heard that there used to be a network of tunnels related to the salt mines in the SW area. Can't think of the need for this much salt at a firehouse though...
Some people have suggested that they were used to bring coal in, and another that it was a part of the underground railroad. I'm very curious as to their real function. I can post some pics within the next week or so.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two arched opening rooms at E.11
were for coal storage. I will do some
research on E.22. I'm sure they were for
coal also.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T-shirt Update! There was a problem with the printer getting the shirts done on time, so they will not be available at the spaghetti dinner...As soon as they are done, I will let everyone know. If anyone is interested in tix for the spaghetti dinner, please email me at tmcooleyweb at aol dot com. I'll pass along the contact info for tix.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Info for Spaghetti Dinner:
http://www.detroitfiremensfund .com/

Lansingfire

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok so I've been looking for the older stations and came across this

Now first is it a station??? And if it is can you guess which one. TB42 no helping since I sent you and email with what I thought it was. I'm not sure where Batt 3 was, but as a hint it's currently in Batt 7 District.
If it's not a station. Never mind.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I've read that this is first Eng 13, then L 11 E 28 (hence the numbers by the doors. But what is the third door for?

You can't see it in the picture but there's an 11 by the single door and a 28 between the two doors