Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » There's always next year. (Tigers July 7th Game) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bottom of the thirteenth, in the early sweaty hours of a July morning. The air is so thick that the stadium lights cast beams through the haze. Both teams are at the bottom of their bullpen. The players are exhausted. The crowd – or what remains of the Park’s second largest attendance to date is tiresome, beaten for the last several hours by the midsummer heat. Still we remain patient and determined. Two outs, one man on. Boston walked Sheffield in the wake of his hitting power. Pudge Rodriguez is fighting at the plate, while an eager Sheffield makes several false attempts to steal second. The Boston pitcher grows weary and gets caught guessing at the runners intentions. Finally, Shef steals second with no objection by the expired Boston defense. Pudge is behind in the count, and suffering from a mediocre at best offensive season. We don’t care. The pitcher winds up and hurls the ball with whatever energy he has left. Crack. The sound of bat hitting ball echoes through the tense stadium. We, the crowd, remain tentative. Skeptical cheers can be heard amongst the true, and the drunk fans while the ball soars towards right center. After seven scoreless innings, we try to contain ourselves, lest we encounter another false alarm. The cheers grow louder as both outfielders race for the ball. They are too late. The ball lands on the warning track. Detroit erupts as Boston’s heart hits the floor. Pudge lands on second base just as Shef hits the plate. Tigers win, 3-2.

Hope is contagious.

Do you remember? Just found my ticket stub from that night.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was also at that game.

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was at the game the day after. Just an AMAZING and eventful night. Daisuke got rocked.

I remember that game too of course. Waiting for it to end, haha.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About a quarter of the fans left when Jones took to the mound, another eighth or so of them left when Grilli walked out of the bullpen.

I suppose they were sick of the tension.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.